“Just ok”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: State Street
Reviewed March 5, 2014

We have been here several times in the past 10 years and usually have a good experience. My husband and I had dinner there this past Valentines day and were amazed how poor the service was. Our waitress took our drink order and meal order. She was pleasant but we only saw her three times maybe throughout the course of our meal. Nobody came to refill our water or ask if we would like another drink or to see if everything was ok. The food was just alright, nothing great. I asked for a take home container, she saw that we were finished but it literally took her 15-20 mins before she came back to clear our plates. After paying the check, my husband was waiting for me while I was in the restroom and the hostess, along with another waitress and employee, he said, were talking trash about the guests very loudly right at the entrance of the restaurant and front desk. I don't know what happened to this place. The last time we were here was in the past 2 years and it has gone way down.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

Made reservations for party of 3 for New Year's Eve at 6:30p.m. Arrived on time and was seated right away. Restaurant was not full at all, given the occasion, which should have been our first clue. New Year's Eve had a special menu at a one price for all meals of $59.14. Don't ask me why the .14 cents! Even though our waitress passed by our table at least 3 times since we were seated, she did not come over to take our drink order until half an hour later. By that time, we had already perused the menu items to know what we wanted and we told her we were ready to order. She told us to wait a minute until she brought the bread out. We waited again. Now remember, it's not very crowded. She returned with the bread and took our order. By this time it was 7:10 pm. Waited, waited, waited for our meal. We asked 3 times for glasses of water; that request was never met. Our meals were finally brought to the table at 8:10 pm. And, one of the meals had to be sent back to be recooked. So add another 10 - 15 minutes to that. Service was so poor that we decided to skip dessert. A 20% gratuity was automatically added to the bill, for service that was terrible. The food was good; the service stunk. And it wasn't just our table. We spoke with other patrons who were experiencing the same. Mind you, the bill was close to $225 for lousy service. We asked to speak to the manager. The manager/owner came over, we told her what happened, and initially she only took $20 off since we did not eat the dessert. We were not happy. So she took another $10 off. By this point, it was close to 9:10 p.m. There is no way that we expected to be at this restaurant nearly 3 hours for a meal. Like I said, the meal itself was good but the service was horrible. I've told all my friends to avoid this restaurant. My husband did get to peek into the kitchen at one point when he was speaking with the owner, and he said it was very dirty and that we'd probably be getting sick from the food. That didn't happen, but the PA Board of Health should probably pay a visit to this restaurant. I don't see them staying in business for long if this is the way they treat their patrons.

Reviewed November 8, 2013

The Brick Hotel Restaurant had been a landmark, quality place to dine for many, many years. It occupies a prime corner in the heart of lovely Newtown Borough. To say it is going downhill would be an understatement. It is speeding downhill. I had not been there in years and was astonished by the changes. There was no bartender, but perhaps he was due in later. Years ago there was a lively bar area and menu, along with nightly entertainment.
Clearly corners have been cut and the interior and exterior have a rundown appearance.

I was distracted by our waitress's unprofessional presentation, and, quite frankly, her tattoo. When we wanted some coffee she was not to be found. Later we saw her smoking and talking on a cell phone. Why would she take her break if she still had customers?

Our food was cold - though I am not sure who was to blame. Years ago there were innovative dishes as well as American standards. Something is definitely "off" here. Prices are too high for mediocre food. They used to have an extensive Sunday brunch - but I am reluctant to return for it now.
Too bad. Years ago this was a great place. Very disappointing.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

Looks like a lovely place for lunch/dinner, but atrium where we were seated first had no air-conditioning and was hot for a semi-warm fall afternoon. We changed our seats to outside, which was fine with the exception they only seemed to have 1 waiter for all areas and service was very slow. Our waiter was also not trained well, was a bit abrupt and never asked us about ordering dessert--with the exception of fundraiser cupcakes for Breast Cancer Month. The food was very tasty, but quesadillas served without flair on plain, white plate. Salad portion was fairly small for main entree. We asked for sour cream to dip them in, but they were out of it! Otherwise, a quiet lunch in quaint Newtown, PA.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

We had appetizers and wine at the Brick's bar...the food was good, our waitress was attentive without being annoying, and the wine was a appropriately priced.

The Brick has a very low-key but elegant ambiance, including an outdoors section where they serve drinks and food in a very attractive garden. We'll definately return!