“Great food and atmosphere”

Oishi Japanese Thai & Korean
Ranked #3 of 83 Restaurants in Newtown
Cuisines: Japanese, Thai
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Fairless Hills, Pennsylvania
“Great food and atmosphere”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

I went here for the first time a couple of weeks ago with a group for a friend's birthday. Luckily, she had a reservation which didn't seem like it would be needed at first, but within the first 20 minutes of being there every table was taken. I was a bit surprised to find the location to be in a strip mall, but once inside you would never guess. I love how the restaurant is BYOB so you can really sit back and enjoy the food and time with your party. We tried a few sushi options and the edamame as appetizers which were great. Service is amazing and on top of everything for all of your needs. We all tried the terayaki options for our dinner entrees and they were delicious and I still had leftovers to take home. I will definitely be back!

Yardley, Pennsylvania
“Delicious sushi”
Reviewed July 21, 2014

We ate here the other night. First time at the new location. It's very nice. Huge dining room compared to the old place. Sushi was delicious as usual. Byob is great. The only complaint I have is that they didn't check and fill our water glasses as they usually do come around and check.. it was busy perhaps they were short staffed...also the bench seats are very uncomfortable ... No padding and awkward. I would choose a table w chairs next time.

lawrenceville, NJ
“Terrific food, very noisy”
Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

We were three couples on a Thursday evening. The place was so noisy that we could barely have conversations. The food is consistently very good to excellent (this was our third visit) and nicely presented. The kitchen staffs prepare all three cuisines equally well. The portion sizes of the appetizers are generally small, but the mains are of acceptable size. The management claims that tables closer to the entrance (left side of the room, if facong he rear) are quieter.

Bucks County, Pennsylvania
“Off to a great start.”
Reviewed July 17, 2014

We tried this place on the day it opened, two evenings ago. The setting will be familiar to patrons of nearby Oishi, which used to occupy the same space. Same owners, too, and pretty much the same open, minimalist East Asian decor as before.

This was our first venture into Korean food, but after last night it won't be our last. We started by sharing two apps: five skewered slices of baby squid -- disappointingly little food but excellently prepared -- and black cod w/miso. The black cod turned out to be a highlight of the meal, and there was plenty of it.

For mains, my wife had chicken bulgogi, which the Korean-American waitress explained to us so it could be eaten properly by hand. It didn't sound very tempting to me, so I went with Katsu style Japanese curry.

My mistake. The bulgogi was a wonderful offering, almost a feast! As to the curry, it arrived so boiling hot that I blistered the roof of my mouth, presumably the result of opening day jitters in the kitchen. That aside, it was somewhat bland initially, but the more it was eaten the better it tasted and I wound up liking it. Still, it didn't match up to the yummy bulgogi. Both dishes came with rice -- we selected brown, which was top-notch quality.

While press reports and the KO website indicate they serve beer, sangria, sake and whiskey, their liquor license won't be in force for another month or so. So be sure to tote along your favorite adult beverage, or make do with tea or soda.

No desserts, which offers an excuse to stop off at oWowCow near Newtown Grant. HuffPo says it is one of the ten best ice cream parlours in the United States, and it's hard to disagree.

For those watching carbs, KO has a number of pretty good choices, especially if you go light on the rice. Our meal was carb-light, and we felt anything but deprived. Nothing was overly salty, either.

Service was first-rate: cheerful, helpful and unpretentious, even if the pleasant bus person was a little too anxious to clear plates.

Rounds up to five stars, even with the limited squid portions, because the overly hot curry was almost certainly an opening day fluke.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Great new location”
Reviewed June 6, 2014 via mobile

I can't tell if the new location is actually larger or not, but for a weekday night, Oishi is still packed. Definitely consider making a reservation. The BYOB aspect is awesome, and is certainly a draw for locals. The sushi is the best in the area and prices are standard for all area sushi restaurants. They also have a lot of other choices like teriyaki, bento boxes, etc. Even non-sushi eaters will find something to love at Oishi. We'll definitely be back, with a reservation!

Visited June 2014