“Excellent Happy Hour food, service meh.”
Review of Black Horse Tavern

Black Horse Tavern
Ranked #62 of 83 Restaurants in Newtown
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Black Horse operates in a 1747 old world thick walled stone building. Situated on the corner of State and Centre St. in the heart of beautiful Newtown PA. We offer amazing entrees to tasty appetizers. Gorgeous Piano Bar open Wednesday thru Saturday. Classic rock on the Main floor every Friday. Come dance with us on Thursdays and Saturdays with DJ Born. Something for everyone Happy hour Monday - Friday 4;30-6:30pm
Reviewed August 9, 2013

My sister and I went on a Wednesday for Happy Hour. Many reviewers said this started at 4PM. They do not open until 4:30 according to the just ok hostess. So we shopped at Gap Body across the street until closer to five. We were then told that Happy Hour starts at 5PM. With five minutes to spare we placed our order. The food was WAY better than your average bar grub. The fries were amazing and so was the hummus. They have a very interesting martini list, however we stuck to beer on tap. When we got our bill the just ok server/bartender had charged us full price for our beer, though she told us she'd hold our order until Happy Hour. Trying to get my husband to go here so I can try their martinis however, he is ALL ABOUT service so he won't budge.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Hands down, my favorite place in Newtown, PA to eat and drink. No, it's not cheap, and yes the parking is terrible (typical for Newtown) but, the place is beautiful inside, the food and drinks are awesome, and the service is great.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

My Husband and I went on a Thursday evening and had drinks and appetizers at the "small bar". The drinks and beer selection are very good but a bit pricy. I had a lemondrop martini and it was $16. We split the sampler appetizer which included the truffle fries, fried vegetable wontons and beef lettuce wraps. The fries were fantastic. Absolutely delicious. The wontons were very tasty too but we weren't a big fan of the lettuce wraps. They were very sweet - I think because of so many beets on them. The staff was friendly enough.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

The Mahi-Mahi lettuce wraps tasted like Bluefish lettuce wraps.... They were pathetic (there is no way that was Mahi-Mahi). The burger buns were at some point frozen (both hard and gross). At the end, the waitress forgot to take off the 10% cash discount. When I asked her about it, it seemed oddly shady that she immediately seemed guilty. I'm a generous tipper, as I leave 25% on most occasions, but this girl was weird and up to something. It's never a good thing when the hardest working individual in the restaurant is the bus boy. Kudos to him for busting his butt. I had an awful experience, and I will never go back to this place.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

My wife and I stopped by the Black Horse Tavern on a Thursday night after work. They are a tavern that serves amazing "not what you'd expect from a tavern food"! Truffles, in various forms are prevalent on the menu. Also some of the best scallops I've had in a while and great steaks. To top it off they have a happy hour (also available in the dining room) that features terrific martinis and draft craft beers at really cheap prices. Dinner is steep, but worth every penny. Our server, Danny, was also excellent. His descriptions and recommendations were point on. They also have the only Piano Bar in the area. What a treasure! We can't wait to go back.