“Poor Front Desk Person JEN - Hotel Nice”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Newtown - Langhorne, PA
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Newtown
Reviewed October 15, 2013

I have rated this property terrible , but it would have been excellent had it not been for the Front Desk individual named Jen. What I am reflecting below has been reported to Hilton Corporate Honors Program because that is how upset this individual made my husband and I. My husband has a disability, and we were traveling with my grandson who has Downs Syndrome, so the insensitivity of this individual was beyond my wildest scope.

Upon my arrival, I was so called greated by Jen. We discussed my reservation which, per my conversation with Management the night before, had been adjusted. When I tried to explain this to her, she was very confrontational, and when I tried to explain that this was discussed with the Manager, she told me that he had no authority. I then asked to see a Manager, she finally went to the back and came out and said that what I had informed her was correct and then finally decided to check us in. She had a poor attitude and definitely not up to Hilton standards. We got a cart, loaded our luggage, parked and proceeded slowly to the elevator. We had to let 2 elevators go because they were full before we could get on, which was fine. Now we get to the door of our suite, and as we are opening the door and putting on the light switch, the telephone is ringing. My husband answered it and it was Jen. She said "how is your room". My husband said, we do not know, we just entered it and the telephone was ringing---you'll have to give us a few minutes. That was the end of that experience with Jen.

Our suite was lovely, clean, spacious and comfortable. The beds and pillows were great. We enjoyed the indoor pool and the complimentary breakfast was good. Fortunately, when we left for dinner on Saturday there was a wonderful person named James at the front desk, and he was also there on Sunday. He was so congenial and was of the level of what Hilton employs. Another outstanding employee was Jarred, who handled our reservations and upgrade.

Next problem. On Sunday, we were out from 10:00 a.m. until 4:15 p.m. When we returned to our Suite, it still had not been cleaned, refreshed, nor had the beds been made. I went out into the hallway and saw a chamber maid and asked her if she could please make up our room. Of course, she did not understand English and didn't know what I was saying. I then saw another staff member in the hallway, and he told me that he would have my suite made up next. I reflected to him that we had a dinner engagement and needed our suite to get dressed and towels to take our baths/showers. He told me that they were too busy to work on the rooms for the guests that were staying and were doing the rooms from the people who checked out? This I did not understand at all as every other hotels takes care of the guests that are staying rather than empty rooms. After half an hour, no one came. I then called James at the front desk, and he informed me that he would speak with a supervisor. After 20 minutes, finally someone came to clean our Suite and left us with 2 bath towels, no wash clothes, no hand towels, no dish towel for the kitchen. I then walked down the hall and asked for additional towels. I was informed that they had none and I'd have to wait for them after 7:00 PM to come from the laundry. I then asked if they could get some clean towels out of an empty room and give them to us so that we could take showers and get ready for dinner. After another 15 minutes, she arrived with the towels. Of course, we had to make a call and advise that we would be 1/2 an hour late for our dinner. I have never been in a Hilton property or any other property that this has ever happened to me that checking out guests get priority over staying guests???? When we finally left for dinner, James apologized to us. At this time, I asked James what time check out was. He informed me Noon, but if I needed additional time, to let him know. I told him that Noon should be good give or take 5 minutes. He told me, that it was NO PROBLEM.

On Monday, I was all ready to go down at 11:40 a.m. and get the luggage cart to load for our departure. Unfortunately, my grandson had a slight accident which necessitated my washing him again and re-dressing him. At one minute to Noon, I left my husband and grandson in the room and went down to get the cart. When I got back to the room, my husband was very upset. He told me that at 12:01, Jen called from the front desk to remind us that check out was at 12:00 noon. My husband told her that I should be passing her desk as we speak as I was on my way to get the cart. He told her we would be out shortly. She informed he that she needed to know this so she could tell housekeeping. Wow, housekeeping was waiting to clean our room at 12:01, but where were they the day before when the room was vacant for 6 hours??????

We loaded our luggage as quickly as possible and proceeded out of this hotel. Never in my life have I ever been thrown out of a Hilton or any Hotel in this manner. So much for being a Hilton Rewards customer or any customer for that matter. I expressed to Jen that I felt it was very nasty and insensitive at the way she so rudely handled our stay and that I was definitely going to report this to Hilton Corporate Honors. I feel certain that if this was your experience, you would have felt that way we did. We would never stay at this location again, not because of the other employees, management or facility, but due to one rude, insensitive horrible employee, JEN. Perhaps Hilton Corporate should determine if they need a better General Manager and some employee training on courtesies at this location.

We are world travelers both for business and leisure, and we have stayed at Hilton's worldwide, and never had an experience like this at a Hilton Hotel or any Hotel. Hope this never happens to you.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
10  Thank janie51
There are newer reviews for Homewood Suites by Hilton Newtown - Langhorne, PA

Reviewed October 11, 2013

This hotel is a typical "all suite" Hilton property that is very well maintained. The location is convenient for the area and within driving distance of several places to eat. My only minor complaint was the number of noisy kids running in the hallways but since Sesame Place is nearby, that's to be expected and they quieted down by 9 PM.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank jewelross
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Stayed here because I was in a wedding and they offered a discounted rate for the bridal party. When I arrived I was amazed at how large the room was for the rate that I had paid. It was clean and the king size bed was very comfortable. The shower was amazing too! Would definitely stay in another Homewood Suites again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Alissa G
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Nice property - the room and bathroom were clean and the bed was comfortable. Nice exercise facility and the property is located within a few miles of several restaurants. My only gripe was that the price ($216 including taxes) was steep for the room that you got and the location of the property. The price was the difference between a nice stay and a great stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank USAWelder
Reviewed October 2, 2013

I stayed at this particular property for a quick business meeting that only necessitated a one night stay so I will offer my observations based on just that.

I can't imagine there are many better options in Newtown as it is not exactly a business destination and the Homewood Suites offered plenty of amenities. I can definitely see the hotel being ideal for an extended stay as they offer a free grocery shopping service to stock the full kitchen (included in every suite).

I also took advantage of the free breakfast. It included a decent selection of hot and cold items. I'm a sucker for belgian waffles so the presence of a do-it-yourself waffle machine is always a bonus.

So between the friendly staff, suite-style accommodations and free breakfast the hotel earned some quality points.

Now for the drawbacks, and honestly, most people probably would not notice, but I am such a frequent traveler that I have a very particular routine, including a thorough inspection of the room.

Upon pulling back the sheets and mattress covers, there were some small hairs that did not belong to me and faint stains on both the mattress cover and mattress itself. This was not enough for me to request a room change, but enough to make me a little uncomfortable. The most obvious overlook by housekeeping staff was the bathroom curtain. Oddly this room did not have the curved shower rod, nor the inner liner and outer curtain, just a single curtain. This particular curtain had a large stain on it and without the curved rod no effective way to keep it away from me while showering.

So with some minor improvements to the housekeeping department, I could see giving five stars.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank FightOn
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Traveled for business and found hotel to be very comfortable, clean and well furnished. Both the breakfast and managers evening reception were excellent. Time to re-think my choice of stays for the future. This Hilton was very nice.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank gbrownski
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Great hotel. Clean, friendly, spacious. Perfect for our family of 4. We had the separate king bedroom with the kids on the pull out in the living room. Short distance from Sesame Place. This hotel was PERFECT for our vacation. The home-like accommodations were great. Full size fridge, microwave, stove. We could cook there or bring "home" leftovers. LOVED IT!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Kathleen N
HomewoodNewtownGM, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Newtown - Langhorne, PA, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

Kathleen N.,

On behalf of all of us here at the Homewood Suites Newtown, I wanted to take a brief opportunity to thank you for sharing your experience with us. It is always our goal to provide our guests with a spacious, clean, and comfortable suite and warm, friendly service allowing them to feel right at home. I am delighted to hear your vacation was enjoyable and honored that we were able to accommodate you and your family. We certainly hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back at some point in the future! Again, on behalf of the entire team, thank you for choosing to stay with us. As always, if there is any additional assistance I may provide to you either now or in the future, I am at your service!

Respectfully,

Christopher D. Guerrero, CHA
Homewood Suites by Hilton Newtown

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newtown
Hampton Inn & Suites Newtown
SpringHill Suites Philadelphia Langhorne
Sheraton Bucks County Hotel
Courtyard Philadelphia Langhorne
Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia NE - Langhorne
Residence Inn Philadelphia Langhorne

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton Newtown - Langhorne, PA? Share your experiences!