All reviewsnew chefprime ribcrab cakesno elevatorwedge saladstayed one nightbreakfast roomfirst floorkathybrunch
Reviewed December 31, 2017

Over Christmas holiday, our family rented rooms 3 and 4. We met Kathy at check-in and she was A+, check-in was easy. We caught a couple of cold days (snow on Saturday) but there as good heat and good hot water in both rooms. The rooms are a little pricey but, on balance, we thought worth it given the unique historic Inn atmosphere and walkable restaurant and shopping options.

On the negative side, the continental breakfast is in a dimly lit room (only 2 light bulbs out of 8 on the chandelier were working) and the food was pedestrian. That could easily be upgraded and should be given the price. The parking is hit or miss. The lot behind the hotel was always full so we had to catch what we could on the street. Also, on Saturday night, there was live music in the restaurant on the first level that went until 1:00 a.m. It wasn't a problem for use (we enjoyed hearing "Don't stop believing" at 12:30 a.m.) but for a light sleeper it may not be ideal. This was only on Saturday night. Overall, a nice stay but we couldn't give it the highest rating for the above reasons.

• Stayed: December 2017, traveled with family
1  Thank rcruser
Reviewed December 24, 2017 via mobile

This was not a bad hotel; the bed was ok (small but not bad quality, blankets were a little thin), the old architecture is nice and gives personality but the walls are so thin you can hear way too much from the restaurant late into the night, the tub didn’t have a working stopper but was clean. For the price however I expected more. It was about 50% more than I would expect to pay, and not as nice as I had hoped.

The parking is also a bit of a distance from the hotel, which made for an adventure.

There is no elevator, and it is very not accessible for people with mobility issues but the hotel is old (Colonial) and is upfront about this so it wasn’t a surprise.

It certainly wasn’t bad, but just a bit pricey for thin walls and a smaller bed.

Stayed: December 2017, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jeanne C
Reviewed October 11, 2017

The pictures of these rooms are from back when they first created them. Our $220.00 a nite room was very DARK...minimal lighting. There were no tissues or coasters in the room and the phone was grossly dirty. The bathroom sink was SO SMALL I could barely wash my face. As I looked down the tile walls in the bathroom, I could see soap scum streaks down the walls. When I pulled back the bed covers....the sheets had 2 stains on them and someone else's rolled up hair!!!!! Yikes!!!! The bed side tables were dusty as was the bathroom floor corners. I can't even imagine how many germs are in those ancient oriental rugs....ugh!!!

The person who checked us in could not even tell us how to get to the Rite Aid, nearby...?

Room Tip: Look somewhere else. Plenty of nearby good places.
  • Stayed: October 2017, traveled with family
Reviewed October 9, 2017

I recently traveled to the area to visit family and friends. I came upon The Temperance House Inn because many of the major chains in the area were booked. It was a fortunate thing for us that this was the case.

The inn is historic and well kept. Our room was roomy and very comfortable. The staff was friendly and helpful. I enjoyed the comfortable atmosphere of the inn, we felt at home and welcomed.

One thing, and not the fault of the hotel, just a circumstance of location; parking is a challenge. Check the back first you may get lucky, if not, grab the first place you find on the street.

• Stayed: September 2017, traveled as a couple
2  Thank egallag
Reviewed September 17, 2017

The room photos don't do the place justice. We stayed in the Chloe loft, but saw several other rooms and all were lovely. The inn is similar to one you might find in a small town in the U.K: a warren of halls and stairs, some traversing 1720's era wood flooring. The owners have remained true to this idea, and haven't tried to modernize the layout, which I appreciate. You do have to carry your bags up a short flight or two of stairs, but this is part of the charm, and the staff offered to carry our bags as well. Room was very quiet. A real find in a charming small town.

• Stayed: September 2017, traveled as a couple