“This place smelled and was dirty.” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of New Stanton Garden Inn

New Stanton Garden Inn
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in New Stanton
West Chester, Pa.
“This place smelled and was dirty.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2011

I stayed in a pet room on Oct. 29, 2010. When I entered the room, it smelled very bad and I could see that the carpet had not been vacummed. I called the desk and they sent a very nice young man to the room with a sweeper. The sweeper bag was bursting at the seams and had dust puffing from it. He had never vacummed and didn't know how to start it. I showed him and then immediately told him to please stop. The sweeper was putting out a very musty dirty odor which was causing more of a bad smell.
I would have left the hotel, except that I was tired and needed a pet room.
I told this person who came to the room that I felt sorry for him for having to work in such a disgusting place. He was so nice that he just apologized for the sweeper situation.
This particular Howard Johnson Inn should be closed down. From the outside, its not so bad. The inside is a whole different story.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank yardley33

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2011

My boyfriend and I were in town visiting my family in Scottdale and decided to stay at the HoJo, figuring we could handle anything for a few nights just before Christmas. We were wrong. Let me preface this review by stating that we are a couple in our early thirties, very easy to please. All we hoped for was clean, efficient, and serviceable. The 'boy' who checked us in didn't bother sharing check-out or breakfast times (which ends at 9:30 a.m. and requires an outside walk in the snow to a tiny room), nor did he mention that if we put our room keys near our cell phones or other electronics that they would re-set (we discovered that the next night in the snow). Yes, they made us drive back around to the front to get new keys.
The room itself had a stale smell despite being non-smoking. The heat was turned off every time maintenance came in and the room would be freezing upon our return. When the heat was on, it felt cool and was so dry we had sore noses and throats the next morning. The pillows and mattress were uncomfortable and the blankets clearly had not been washed. They did not bother to clean our room or bring fresh towels the second day we were there and we called the front desk, the woman acted annoyed to be bothered and almost threw them at me when I opened the door half an hour later.
The safe was broken and the shades over the window looked like they had been cut with a razor blade. The in-room guide says there is HBO, but there is not; it also says there's high speed internet in the room-- there is not.
The last straw was the last morning of our stay- Christmas Eve! Despite the sign on the back of the door that clearly reads, "Check-out is 12 noon," the extremely rude receptionist, "LIZ," called us at 11:10 to tell us that check-out was ten minutes ago and we needed to be out by 11:30 to avoid being charged.
We've stayed at the Fairfield Inn & Suites Pittsburgh/New Stanton in the past and were extremely pleased. We will return there or the Mt. Pleasant Holiday Inn Express, but never, ever the Howard Johnson.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LalasTravels

Travelers are raving about these New Stanton hotels

Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2010

We were looking for a budget place to stay for our visit to Fallingwater. We chose New Stanton as a good place to stop for the night, since we got there late and were leaving the next morning. We chose the Howard Johnson not expecting much, and pretty much got what we expected. The location is very convenient, right next to the freeway and several gas stations. The hotel has nothing else great about it, but it's satisfactory enough for a night's stay-the free wifi in the rooms didn't work but it did in the lobby; the service attendants were rude but relatively quick; the bedsheets were thin but clean; the shower had poor water pressure but hot water; the heater is old and weak, but it did finally warm up the room after 3 hours or so. All in all, the place was clean enough that we could sleep instead of worrying about mice or cockroaches. The breakfast the next morning was adequate, with slightly stale cinnamon buns and not much choice.
One major complaint - they double charged me on the tax for my room, so make sure to check your bill before you pay!
Fallingwater is definitely worth staying a night in New Stanton.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Phoenix, Arizona
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2010

Lady at check in was rude from the second I walked in the door. I'm always a nice guy. Guess she had a bad day and decided to take it out on me. I protested the $1 charge for a safe I would not be using. (I use Mssrs. Smith and Wesson to protect my valuables) but she would not take it off. The coupon rate did not mention this. Also they coupon advertised free wireless internet. I inquired at the desk and she said it's free and it should be working. We'll it may be free but it does not work. It does not even show up on my wireless list and my room was near the front of the hotel. I did like that I could park right next to my room and have access to my vehicle via a sliding glass door but still have the protection of an inside hallway. Room was just OK. I stay in hotels 250 nights a year in a different room almost every night as I travel the country doing trade shows. On a scale of 1-10 this place would rate a 2 at best. I could even give it a 3 if it were not for the rude reception by the clerk who should be fired and replaced.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank 260HotelNightsaYear
ERIE, PA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2010

The non-smoking room smelled of cigarette smoke. The receptionist was someone with a very heavy Indian accent and did not smile or bother to be polite. Breakfast was provided but when my wife saw the place, she turned around and went back to the room. When I was there, it was so dirty and crowded I felt more like in a soup kitchen than a HoJo Continental Breakfast. I've stayed in many HoJo before but none was like this one. As the title said, we found some long human hair under the bed cover when we tried to sleep. And the room smelled of cigarette smoke even though we requested for a non-smoking room. There was "No Smoking" sign everywhere in the room. The water sink is outside the toilet and it looked so ancient, it took us a while to figure out how to use it. I won't recommend this to anyone. But it seemed like all the motel nearby looked similar. When I booked it, it said it is 2-star. But after having stayed there, I won't even give it a star.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Rockville, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2010

We were in a spacious room with two beds and a good-sized bathroom. It was on the side of the building away from the highway, and we heard very little traffic sounds. The AC worked well and the room temp was comfortable all night, as were the beds. The room was a bit pricey considering the age of the motel, but for a good night's rest in a clean and comfortable room we left very satisfied and we would stay there again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
ontario
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2010

No air, not clean, not maintained. Left after looking at the room. Stay away.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Donegal
Hampton Inn Greensburg
Hampton Inn Greensburg
#1 of 10 in Greensburg

Been to New Stanton Garden Inn? Share your experiences!