“Its alright”

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in New Stanton
Gaithersburg, Maryland
“Its alright”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Its located right off the 70, which is very convenient. Its decent hotel where you can certainly have nice and sound sleep for a night. Guy at the front desk was friendly. Check in and check out was without any hassle. We had nice and sound sleep, which was the purpose of the stay. Morning coffee and breakfast was alright. I did not find any flaws but if i have to point out something, then it has some smoky smell and that might be probably coming from carpet.
Other than than... it was wonderful. If you get the cheap deal.. go for it.

Thanks

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Econo L, Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
I want to thank you for taking time out to review our property, It is always appreciated when constructive comments our provided, this allows us to continue to work on providing the best possible stay for all our guests. We did have all the hallway carpets cleaned recently. It is our hope that you had a safe journey home and we look forward to seeing you the next time you are in the New Stanton Area

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Mableton, Georgia
Reviewed July 30, 2013

While traveling from Cleveland to Gettysburg I got caught in a continuous rain storm. Using a mobile app I searched for a cheap and convenient place to get out of the storm. The New Stanton Econo Lodge met both requirements, low rate and close to the Turnpike. The person at the registration desk was friendly and efficient. Same was true when I checked out. My room was basic but clean; just what I needed and expected for the low rate. There are many conveniences close to the hotel including both fast food and middle tier chain restaurants.

This would not be my choice for a vacation hotel. But for a one night stay as a part of my road trip it was just fine.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Econo L, Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
I want to take some time out to thank you for your response! Our staff strives for great customer satisfaction. It is our hope that you had a safe journey home and we look forward to seeing you the next time you are in the New Stanton Area.
Columbia, PA
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We were traveling home from a vacation that ended the 4th of July weekend. Stopped at another hotel and found it completely filled. Clerk at that hotel called the Econo Lodge, where the very helpful desk clerk (VHDC) reserved a room for our impending arrival. I had requested a king, but was told none were available. When we arrived, the VHDC told me that she had printed out her (very small) vacancy list and found us a king room with a sofabed. We were impressed with her helpfulness, especially as she'd gone "above and beyond the call of duty" to find us the room we preferred.

VHDC also provided us with extra towels, bed sheets for the sofabed, and a restaurant recommendation for dinner.

The room? Well, it was far too small for the sofabed, which faced the king bed and was too close to unfold the sofa. We moved it and managed to get open, but only by twisting it in the other direction and, in doing so, blocking access to the refrigerator AND leaving only about six inches between the two beds. It worked okay for the night we needed it, but I was not impressed with the inconvenience of having to do that with a room that was billed as a "king with 2-person sofabed."

The king bed was quite comfortable and our son (age 8, and will sleep anywhere) declared the sofabed "the best ever." My own experience on the sofabed says otherwise, though.

Bathroom was very small and visibly old; the bathtub was originally white, but the floor of it was completely gray. It desperately needed some attention--and some bleach.

Carpets were dated and felt a bit slimy when we walked on them in bare feet.

Television only worked when the light switch by the door was turned to the "on" position but there was nothing to tell us this. We learned the 'trick' by calling the front desk to complain about the non-working TV. One of the lights in our room had a burned-out bulb; the others worked, but were very dim. Even with all of the (working) lights on, we'd have liked a bit more brightness once it became dark outside.

Breakfast was good. Waffles, hard-boiled, two kinds of cereal, doughnuts, pastries, bagels, bread, oatmeal packets, yogurt, and fresh fruit were all ready for us in an attractive, clean and well-lit room. There was a toaster, microwave, butter, jelly and cream cheese also available.

The hotel is located in a place with easy access to both I-76 (the PA turnpike) and I-70. Eat 'n' Park (restaurant) and Sheetz (gas station) are nearby, as are a couple of mom & pop restaurants.

Room Tip: If you want a king & sofabed room, ask for one that is big enough to open the sofabed.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Econo L, Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
I want to thank you for taking time out to review our property, It is always appreciated when constructive comments our provided, this allows us to continue to work on providing the best possible stay for all our guests. It is our hope that you had a safe journey home and we look forward to seeing you the next time you are in the New Stanton Area

Travelers are raving about these New Stanton hotels

Vermilion, Ohio
Reviewed July 8, 2013

The hotel itself was fine, as far as the room goes. Carpet, bed, bathroom felt new enough. It didn't feel dirty and run down. There was an annoying issue with one of the electrical outlets not working, and we had to move the mini-refrigerator across the room to plug it into a working outlet. Still, as far as the room goes, it wasn't bad.

The negative was the area. We chose to stay here because it was conveniently located between Gettysburg and Kennywood. There's a nearby Sheetz and Cracker Barrel... those were the two nicest things around. The rest of the area was kind of a dump. I think there's people living in the hotel as their permanent residence, and there's a lot of people standing around the entrance doors, which made me nervous, especially at night.

The incident that sealed my decision not to stay here ever again happened in the morning. We checked out and put everything in the car, but I needed to fill our cooler with ice, so I went back in the hotel through one of the side entrances. I asked my boyfriend to pull the car up to that door. When I came out, there were a bunch of people outside that door, and there was a girl yelling things at my boyfriend as he was sitting in the car. She was yelling something along the lines of "come here, I got something for you." It sounded to me like she was a prostitute. As soon as I walked out with the cooler and walked to the car, the girl shut up.

So the hotel itself wasn't bad, but the area and the people around the building are the reason that I'll never stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kristen N
Econo L, Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Sidney, Ohio
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We were just looking for a place to sleep and get a quick breakfast - it was great for that purpose. the building is old, burn hole in the comforter on the bed. you are getting what you pay for. The man working the front desk was very friendly and helpful,

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Econo L, Front Office Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
I want to thank you for taking time out to review our property. It is always appreciated when constructive comments our provided, this allows us to continue to work on providing the best possible stay for all our guests. Housekeeping was made aware of the burn hole in the comforter and It is our hope that you had a safe journey home.
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Have been staying here while looking for a new home in the area. Staff is very friendly. Jeff at the front desk is awesome and makes sure you are satisfied with your stay. Have never seen a negative attitude even he is having a rough day. Rooms have been clean and smell good. No damp or smokey smell. Will recommend this hotel to everyone. Thank you Jeff and the staff... Bartenders are awesome too.

• Stayed June 2013
Josh_Baker, Front Office Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to complete the review of your recent stay. Our staff strives for great customer satisfaction and to always provide a clean stay for all our guests. I'm pleased to hear that Jeff has been able to accommodate your needs and that you have enjoyed your stay and the bartenders were awesome. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the future.
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
Reviewed May 27, 2013

We were looking for an economical but clean place to sleep on the way to our daughter's home in Connecticut, & this Econolodge was better than we expected to find. The young man working the desk at midnight was the most professional night staff we've ever encountered (outside of high-end luxury hotels) - well-dressed, friendly & polite. The room was clean, comfortable, and everything (lights, heater, fans, etc) worked fine. My husband has had back issues & is pretty particular about having a good mattress - this one was very comfortable. I am particular about no-smoking rooms, as I have allergies & can't tolerate smoke residue; there was no smoke smell at all in this hotel. The free breakfast was great - both regular and blueberry waffles, fresh fruit & all the usual pastries. All staff were helpful & friendly. For the price of $50+tax (we used a coupon from a travel booklet) it was much more than we expected. Will definitely stay here again on our next trip!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Josh_Baker, Front Office Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear Judy M,

Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to complete a travel review on our hotel. Our staff strives for great customer satisfaction and to always provide a good clean welcoming stay for all our guests. I am also pleased to hear that you enjoyed a well rested evening and found our beds to be very comfortable. It is also great to hear you enjoyed the continental breakfast that we provide. Thank you for letting us know about your stay and we hope you had a safe travel home and we look forward to seeing you the next time you are in the New Stanton Area.
Also consider these accommodations in or near New Stanton
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Donegal
Inn at Mountainview
Inn at Mountainview
#5 of 10 in Greensburg

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!