“Nice hotel!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in New Milford
Rydal, Pennsylvania
“Nice hotel!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

The staff was very nice and the breakfast was good. We had a hard time finding the hotel due to the weather (severe fog) but we called and the front desk person explained it!

Not a lot going on around the place. A Mcdonald is the closest restaurant but there is a local eatery that will pick you up at the hotel and drive you back! Thanks to the front desk for making us aware of that!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HIEXGibsonGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Gibson, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear cheryl p,

Thank you for taking the time to give us such a nice review. Our staff goes above and beyond to make sure that every guest has a great stay, and they are great at recommending different eateries if you don't mind a short drive. Thank you again for choosing to stay with us, and we look forward to seeing you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

(Stayed 01/13/2013) .. I have stayed at this HIE on multiple occasions in the past, but this was my first stay here in a couple of years. The entrance to the hotel is located in a service area and is not very well marked. The access roads are pretty beat up (probably from all the heavy trucks in the area for the fracking boom) but this can't be held against the hotel. I arrived after midnight for my check-in. The receptionist was very welcoming and had my reservation already to go. She offered me a choice of candy and a bottle of water which was nice. I stayed in a standard king-size bed room with a sofa (really a chair). The room was well-kept. The beds at HIE are historically uncomfortable and this location was no different. The pillows were nice and heavy which was a plus. The fitness room consisted of a treadmill, an elliptical machine and stationary bike. The TV was not working when I was in there but I was not overly concerned. You get the standard HIE breakfast. The cinnamon rolls are always great. Poor selection of fruit though but this could have been that I didn't come down to eat until I checked out around 8:30 and the other guests may have emptied the bowl. Nothing really special as far as hotel accommodations or the stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Gibson, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear EyeLoveFood,

Krysllin G.
Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

If youve read my other hotel reviews you will notice my number one complaint about any hotel is connectivity for all the electronics a typical business travel works with. HI Express Gibson does pretty well in regards to this. I had ample power outlets at the bed side. Nice to have 2 nightstands with outlets near both. I was pleasantly surprised by that. So they pass on connectivity even though I did need to pull the plug on the clock to use one outlet.

One thing I had a problem with isnt controllable by management. But the refrigerator in my room was so loud I just couldnt sleep. A constant hum in what is a quiet area with very little outside noise on the back side of the hotel. I had to pull the plug on the fridge as well so I could sleep.

My biggest gripe however was being told I HAD TO allow housekeeping in the room every 3 days to change linens. I understand you have policies, I understand there are people out there who have this thinking they need their bedding changed every day. Im sorry, I am not one of those people. I was working night from 5:30PM til 6:30AM. The last thing on my mind is getting my sheets changed. Sleep is my concern. I dont change my sheets at home every 3 days and I surely dont need my hotel sheets changed that often. Nor do I need to be told that I have to let them in. I am paying for the room, if I need towels or trash changed I will place them in the hallway. If I need you to clean the room I will then suffer and get up so you can clean the room. Dont tell me I have to let you clean the room.

As far as pros. The hotel is very easily accessible. However its just a bad location if you want to have food and shopping or anything else closeby. Your restaurant choices are McDonalds (which by the way was the filthiest and unprofessional McDonalds I have ever been to and I have since emailed their management as well). And there is a Dennys which was equally as bad. The jem is Amelies Pizza which was good.

As far as the hotel itself, I am pleased for the most part. Ive stayed here a few times now. Staff is friendly and helpful. Housekeeping staff was very polite and apologetic for inconveniencing me with the room cleaning. I only had issue with one person at the front desk, the rest were wonderful. Breakfast was better than most. I always love the option of having a couple quick fresh pancakes over the terrible waffles most hotels have. A nice selection for breakfast.

The bedding was fantastic. Another reason I like HIE is the bedding. Soft and Firm pillows on the bed, a nice comfortable mattress and a really nice and dark room during the day. Decor is nice throughout the suites, shower pressure was fine, toiletries are above and beyond the neccessary. Overall I am pleased and will continue to stay here when in that area but I do take offense with the part where they tell me I have to let them change the bedding every 3 days.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Gibson, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear davebressi,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts and comments regarding your stay with us. We are pleased to you were satisfied with the service provided by our staff as well as the breakfast and the bedding. It was unfortunate to see your stay was not as comfortable as it could have been due to the issues you had with the refrigerator and housekeeping. Please remain assured that we have recorded your comments and will forward it to the appropriate departments for future considerations. We hope that you take the time to stop in for a visit soon to see how we have taken every comment very seriously in order to make your future stays with us as pleasant as possible.

Karen C
Stafford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

On arrival we were made very welcome by the staff. Our room was very clean and had everything we needed. There is not a lot of choice for restaurants nearby but Denny's is just across the road and this was fine for us on that particular evening.
Breakfast at the hotel was good and the new pancake machine made very good pancakes and worked really well, once we had been shown how to use by a very helpful member of staff.
A very good hotel, just off the freeway, we enjoyed our stay and would certainly use it again if in the area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

Yesterday my husband ran from Binghamton, NY to New Milford, PA during his Run Around The World! Today’s milestone was reaching his 13,000th km for his Guinness World Record attempt; only 16,000 more to go! So, being the only place to stay we stopped at the Holiday Inn Express. The staff on reception were very hospitable & welcoming. We stayed in Room 145, which was extremely nice, newly renovated & immaculately clean. Fridge, microwave, flat screen television (but with not many channels to chose from), lovely bathroom & a great bath. If you’ve got a load of washing to do there’s a guest laundry with two machines & two dryers, unlike some other motels. Nothing special at breakfast but all very well set up and managed. Would have liked to see more fruit provided for the room rate (only apples). We found this particular hotel the most expensive we’ve stayed in on our journey across the States so far; they definitely have a monopoly on the area. It’s a very nice hotel…but very pricey. We dined in, and ordered delivery from a local Italian restaurant that was recommended by the staff at the front desk. The food was tasty but VERY expensive for what you get & they forgot to send our salad. Our lasagne was the smallest portion size I’ve ever seen! Would recommend Holiday Inn if budget is not an issue for you. (Would have given it 'Excellent' rating if it wasn't so expensive.)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

I have stayed at this location several times and have rated it highly. On my most recent visit, I tried placing long-distance calls from my room phone because my cellphone was not working. Every attempt produced a busy signal. I went to the front desk to ask if the system was down and was told that outgoing LD service had been 'taken off' guest phones. The desk clerk offered to let me use the counter phone. This limitation is not acceptable. As I noted in an earlier review, motorcycles park under the entrance portico, where guests unload and load luggage, and remain there day and night. At other Holiday Inn Express locations, this obstruction is not allowed. Motorcycles are required to use the parking lot.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Gibson, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Dear lamblf,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. I am sorry that you encountered some issues with the telephone system and the parking. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into.We all hope that we will have the opportunity to host you again on a future visit.

Karen C
Waterloo, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

Decent Holiday Inn Express: Nice furnishings, nice finishes, nice staff. Breakfast was not impressive: no meat (just some sort of slop) and I'm tired of having sucralose yoghurt shoved down my throat (this is a brand-wide issue, not just this hotel of course). Good luck finding this hotel at night; there is no signage at the entrance and it took many attempts before we could access the hotel. 7/10

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
#8 of 10 in Scranton
Hampton Inn Tunkhannock
Hampton Inn Tunkhannock
#1 of 4 in Tunkhannock

Been to Holiday Inn Express Gibson? Share your experiences!