“Obsolete”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in New Kensington
Vero Beach, Florida
“Obsolete”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We only stay here because it is the only hotel that accepts a pet in the area where our relatives are. Baths outdated, no exterior door locks, rooms with refrigs are all occupied by contractors. Carpets lumpy/dangerous, halls reek of tobacco.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

1 Thank bhk12

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Rome City, Indiana, United States
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I was in the area on business and stayed here after having an issue with another motel. I did not have an opportunity to look at these reviews before checking in or it wouldn't have happened. After taxes, the AAA rate came to $85. Most other area properties are getting at least $70 per night, so I guess everyone charges this because they can get away with it. This rate did NOT include any type of breakfast or coffee in the morning ("We have a restaurant that opens at 7.") and did not include a microwave or fridge in the room ("We do have some, but they are all filled and that would also raise your rate.") The desk clerk was nice enough to warm my dinner in "her" microwave, which is not accessible to guests. I did receive the advertised wifi signal in my room, but was never able to log on there despite my numerous attempts and tricks. I was able to get online with a sporadic signal after I walked the laptop to the lobby. As I was leaving my room for the lobby, I was confronted by a male drunk who had apparently left the lounge and was just roaming the halls after urinating on another guy's truck. The clerk called the police after receiving numerous complaints about him and he was subsequently arrested. My bed WAS very comfortable and I slept well, but one should expect that at any property at any rate. The place is certainly showing its age and lots of wear. It's obscene that this place charges what it does for what you receive. I will drive far and wide to find another place to stay if I ever return to the area again. I will not stay another night here and suggest that you avoid it as well.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Rick D

Travelers are raving about these New Kensington hotels

Alexandria VA
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Stayed here for 1 night to race at Westmoreland BMX in Apollo PA. This was the closest hotel that I could find that took pets.

This is a massively large hotel with multiple entrances. Even had a restaurant onsite. Grocery was nearby.

The room with double beds was large. Was disappointed there was no refrigerator or microwave. Almost seems like those are standard now in the hotels I stay in. So was a bit surprised not to find one. Beds were decent. Could have used more plug outlets, but then found a plug line on the floor for the tv and moved it to be of use to charge phones, etc.

The AC did keep the room cold. But no thermostat. So it was either on or off. Which I don't like for noise level for sleeping. Did sleep fine.

The bathroom was a bit small. I am 6'2" and the person with me was 5'2". She said, the counter is so low I feel like a tall person. And the towel rack is up so high I can't hardly reach it. So was odd.

No complaints really for the room. However, the Kensington Restaurant that is part of the hotel I do have complaints about. They had a prime rib special going on from 6-9. We got to the restaurant at 8:55 p.m., and I expected to still be able to get the prime rib. It took a good 5+ minutes to be seated as the restaurant was empty and no one was around. Had to go looking. And then finally got seated. The waitress said they had put away the prime rib awhile ago. So that seemed wrong. If it goes until 9, it should be available until 9. Had the poached salmon that was good. But no carb was offered with it. So was not a good value. The Kensington Special, which said a stuffed meatball, was not stuffed, but the spinach and cheese was just put on top. The noodles tasted bland and the meatball was not that good. The waitress offered to give us a to-go box as the person hardly ate it. But of course we had no refrig or microwave in the room, so what the heck? Service as extremely slow. And our waters were never refilled. Debated about eating here for breakfast as we had a time schedule to meet.

Ate at Kinsington again for breakfast. But almost left to go find the Denny's as again, service was extremely slow and poor!!! And prices for juice, $2.78 for a small orange juice? That is a complete rip off. It was 1/2 the cost of a meal. Breakfast was nothing special really. Just so so. But convenient since on site. Would have been better if we could have put our breakfast order in the night before to have it ready at a certain time that morning as we had a schedule to keep.

Was disappointed breakfast was not included in the price of the stay. Again, many places do offer breakfast included.

So poor rating based on no refr, no microwave, no breakfast included, and so so restaurant with poor/slow service.

Room Tip: Stayed in room 158 on the first floor. Was close to parking. Noise level was typical.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank oquick1
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I am a road warrior, single female. Absolutely do not stay here. The condition of this hotel should be $30-40/night. Surprised it is not by the hour. It is horrendous. Inside rooms; however, the outside doors do not have keys to them, so anyone could get you. The customers are a mix. Breakfast is not included in this price. Rugs torn and actually unglued throughout the hallway. I'm surprised they have not been replaced due to being sued by people tripping and falling. (nurse here) Bathroom caulk cracked, fixtures poor condition. Linens appear clean (wrinkled), but did find a 'hair' on my wash cloth. Good TV (RCA) and the front desk employees are nice so far. I asked for a refrigerator and was told my room rate did not include one and they don't have one to bring me. Was told the carpets are to be replaced (carpet on location?) but does not help how it is, today. You should drive any amount versus staying at this hotel.

Room Tip: Do not pick one at all.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Ann S
Enfield, Connecticut, United States
Reviewed November 20, 2012

We stayed at this hotel a year ago and were disappointed with the room and hotel due to cleanliness and disrepair of rugs in hallway, broken dressers in rooms, and filthy laundry area.
We thought after a year they would have done some repairs after we stated our unhappiness with the manage. Guess what, rugs still need replacement, we had to look at three rooms before we found one worth staying in. If there was another hotel in New Kensington we would not stay here. Fitness room has equipment that does not work and when I went to ask for a new light bulb for a lamp in the room they did not have anyone who could get me one. This hotel needs to be closed and completely renovated. This used to be a top rated clean hotel. What happened??? We decided to stay here and give it another chance as we did not want to travel 15 miles everyday to visit with our family. We certainly made the wrong decision. We should have stayed at the Marriott at Pittsburgh Mills and traveled. Don't stay here.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Hilton Head, South Carolina
Reviewed September 2, 2012

I am from this area, and needed to stay in town for 3 nights to attend a funeral. Wish I had known about the Springhill Suites at Pittsburgh Mills, would have never stayed here! The place is a dump-hasn't been remodeled for many years and is really bad. All the a hallways smell like smoke and the front desk clerk cannot be found since she is usually out smoking by the pool on her cell phone. My tissues we left empty for all 3 days and the cleaning staff didn't bother to replenish or clean the small coffee pot in the room. Worst of all, my sheets were never changed in the 3 nights I stayed there. Move on, if you can!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank hiltonheadgal
Waterford, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 1, 2012

I grew up in this area, (I am 62) and I don't know how they continue to stay in business, I suppose because there is no competition other than the Marriott at the Pittsburgh Mills. Proprietor needs to start spending some money and update this place or they will not last....spent 2 nites and I'm quite sure this hotel has not been rennovated since very early 70's when it was a Holiday Inn. The rate was $90 a nite and that was outrageous for a mid-week stay (a Wed and Thursday) and you don't even get a continental breakfast in the mornings to get your day started. We had a non-smoking room and unlike some other comments, there wasn't any stale smoke odor,just "old" smelling like grandmas house. I feel the rate for this room should have been around $90 both BOTH nites we stayed.

Room Tip: 1st floor near pool worked
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Lenape Heights Golf Resort
Lenape Heights Golf Resort
#1 of 1 in Ford City
Hampton Inn Pittsburgh / Monroeville

Been to Quality Inn? Share your experiences!