“A Fantastic Restaurant with Amazing Food and Excellent Service”
Review of Raven

Raven
Reserve with OpenTable
Raven is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #26 of 91 Restaurants in New Hope
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Huntington, New York
“A Fantastic Restaurant with Amazing Food and Excellent Service”
Reviewed October 12, 2011

Note: The Raven is a bar, restaurant and hotel all in one. I decided to review the restaurant and bar in here and decided to split The Raven Hotel review as a separate category as it is very difficult to put both in the same one. We had very different experiences. After reading the restaurant review, do not forget to visit the hotel review so you can get an overall experience of our experience at The Raven.

After reading a few articles online about this place and getting great recommendations from our friends, we decided to give it a try. When you walk in, the place has a great ambiance. Oak wood furniture with large windows face the fenced-in, well-lit garden, which is open for outside dining when weather permitting.

We were seated by the window and also looking into the free standing fireplace in the middle of the room which gave it a nice warm feeling to the already great atmosphere. The host/waiter that sat us was very friendly. He was the one who also took care and served us through the night.

We started with the Argentinian Malbec. With a large portion in a nice tall glass the wine was delicious. As an appetizer I order the Tuna Flat Bread ($13) which is yellow tuna tartar with fresh cream in a toasted flat bread. My partner ordered the Mediterranean Calamari ($12) with spicy 'diavolo' on the side... and it was very 'diavolo'!!! Spicy and yummy, the sauce was super fantastic. The calamari could have been cooked a little bit longer but it was still good and eatable.

The super friendly, funny and chatty waiter kept coming to check on us all throughout dinner with funny and witty comments who kept us laughing through the entire night. Even the busboy who kept our water glasses filled to the top, table clean and clear was very friendly, taking the waiter's lead and taking the time to talk to us as well through dinner.

For the main course, I ordered the Roasted Duck ($27) with roasted bliss red potatoes, seasonal vegetables and natural currant jus. My partner ordered the Filet au Poivre ($31) which is an 8oz filet mignon topped with Courvoiseir peppercorn cream sauce, mashed potatoes and seasonal vegetables. Presentation was fantastic.

All I have to say is, as the kids saying now a days, O.M.G.! The food was fantastic! The duck, which is an easy meat to overcook, was tender, moist and delicious. The filet mignon was even better. The peppercorn sauce was fantastic and the meat literally disintegrated in my mouth. I was full but the food was so good, I had to keep eating until the plate was clean.

We looked at the dessert menu. It look super delicious but we were just too full to even share one. The bathroom is ok... not as clean as I expected because it is shared with the bar patrons (read below).

After dinner, we headed to the very popular "The Raven's Bar", which was very crowded with super loud music. There is one pool table at the end with people waiting in line to play and a separate dance floor playing music videos and plenty of people dancing around and smoking. The dance floor is an additional section built between the pool and the bar. The walls are "garage-door" style walls, which are opened in the summer and when weather permitting, to create a inside-outside feel and atmosphere.

But we found a mini-oasis in the Oak Room, which is a separated bar within the bar, with separate doors that blocked the bar music. Inside The Oak Room there was a fantastic piano player who played movies and Broadway show tunes non-stop. The crowd sang to the amazing music. We had one more drink and went back to our room. A nice way to end the evening.

By the way, we also came the next day to the bar for a quick snack and drink which was the same quality of service as the restaurant, with great bartender service and staff. By the way, the price of drinks is super cheap! We paid less than $10 for our drinks... we could not believe it! The Oak Room that night did not have the piano player but did have karaoke which was quite entertaining.

The Final Verdict:

Wine/Alcohol Quality/Taste: 5.0 out of 5.0

Wine/Alcohol Price Value: 5.0 out of 5.0

Bathrooms Cleanliness: 4.0 out of 5.0

Overall Price Value: 4.5 out of 5.0

Final Score: 53.5 out of 55 (97 out of 100% or A+ grade)

Final Comment: Amazing food, excellent service, great ambiance and a place we would go back to when in town for dinner. The bar is one of the most popular in town with a crowd that kept getting bigger throughout the night. Good drinks, dance music and The Oak Room makes it a great place for people of all ages and musical tastes. Forget the hotel part and do not stay here (read my "The Raven Hotel" review).

• Visited August 2011

New York City, New York
“Actually .... surprisingly good!”
Reviewed July 22, 2011

Have been here many times over the years, and today's lunch for 6 in the main dining room was, well, surprisingly good! The server couldn't have been nicer, but not in any way a trained professional - therein lies the charm. The food -- across the board -- was quite good. A pulled pork sandwich was really excellent, and a sufficient portion to satisfy any lumberjack. The fish special - the same. Drinks have ALwAYS been a "strong" suit of the Raven, but if today was any example, the food is deserving as well!

• Visited July 2011
1 Thank Stockdoc
New Port Richey, Florida
“The food is outrageous! Unfortunately, so are the prices.”
Reviewed June 24, 2011

The Raven is an institution in New Hope. What they don’t tell you is that it is under new management. Not that the change is bad, it’s just… change.

The restaurant maintains is elegance and charm. Deep colors, soft lighting and rich wood tones engulf you as you enter the dining room. Or, you can enjoy a more casual meal by the pool or at the bar.

Although he was the only server in our dining room, Jim took excellent care of us. Service was prompt and friendly. Efficient, but not rushed.

I don’t usually mention drinks, but the bartender makes one mean martini. Little slivers of ice floating on top kept it icy cold right to the last sip.

I was struck by the diversity of the menu. Pate, shrimp cocktail and the like for appetizers, a wonderful selection of salads, and a host of sandwiches and burgers. My advice, spring for separate luncheon and dinner menus. The dinner entrées are hidden at the bottom of the page, and are quite daunting when you consider $32 for the Filet au Poivre or the Rack of Lamb.

We shared the pate appetizer. It was decadently creamy, served with a host of side toppings and excellent crusted bread. The mushroom soup was also rich and tasty. My three companions and I all opted for burgers (you have your choice of toppings and sauces). We just couldn’t make the leap from a $12 burger to a $32 entrée. However, we were not disappointed, at any rate.

Coffee ended the meal. It was freshly brewed for us and very rich. But, with the overall cost of our meal, one would think the establishment would spring for a cappuccino machine.

• Visited June 2011
2 Thank Tom B
Baltimore, Maryland
“Just like a old town local”
Reviewed December 1, 2010

Spent three nights at the raven, nice place. I found the room spotless, marble bathrooms and quiet. The Bar staff was very nice, and so were the locals, something Im not used to in the city. Hamburger was the best I ever had!! Can't wait to go back!

London, United Kingdom
“You can't put lipstick on a pig”
Reviewed August 28, 2010

This place is tacky, dirty and cheap.
I was invited to New Hope for a weekend away with my boyfriend. When we checked into this place my eyes swelled up in allergies from the dust in the room. cobwebs everywhere. toilets stank of concentrated urine and to top it off the entire delaware west bank was out cruising at the side of the hotel and into the back of the woods. the freindly chaps had even gone as far as leaving their bedroom doors open inviting the curious onlooker to come in and join for a bit of tom-foolery and anonymous shananigans.
We are anything but prude... but this was downright dirty and gross... If I was travelling single and looking to pull, perhaps I would have had a better time.
Not the place to go with your partner... unless you're both looking for a three-some or more.

4 Thank londongaucho_73