“Fun, sweet and charming, and a bargain, too! I REALLY LOVED IT!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in New Hope
The Wishing Well Guesthouse
Ranked #9 of 19 New Hope B&B and Inns
Brooklyn
“Fun, sweet and charming, and a bargain, too! I REALLY LOVED IT!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2009

I came down to New Hope to have a week-end away from the city and relax... and the Wishing Well met all of my needs! My friend and I were greeted and shown to our room by the owner Daniel; and for the weekend served very well by the housekeeper Katy. The place is utterly charming, with tons of secluded property in the back (you would never know this from the road!) including a real creek! It was so nice! Also in the back is lawn furniture, inc a lounge chair that I napped in twice! AHHH... relaxation! The center of town is about a 10 minute walk away so I was able to leave the car behind at the house and enjoy New Hope sans parking issues. The price for this two-day stay was very very good and I really want to go back soon - and I'm sure I will. -C

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2009

This is a lovely old house, and the woman who is the helper is very friendly. I also felt like the price was reasonable for summer in New Hope. However, the decor was very dated, kind of like grannie style (not dated as in historical) and the food offered was about as poor for quality as it goes, food with trans fats, artificial colors, white bread only, etc, with no offering of a hot breakfast or anything. In a farming area with gorgeous local fruits in July you would think they would offer something of the sort.

Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
New York, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2009

A friend and I recently had the pleasure of staying at the Wishing Well and found it to be quite charming, a real treat ! It was an intimate environment with well-appointed rooms and the staff was super friendly, it was almost like staying with family (in the best way !) I loved the setting and quaint environment also the proximity to shopping and dinning, we found we could walk almost everywhere from there.
I'll return to New Hope from New York again and again and hope that there are rooms available there, so much nicer than the big, sterile chain hotels.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
New York City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2009

I had a fantastic three night stay at the Wishing Well. I was looking forward to a relaxing quiet get-away from New York and that's exactly what I got! The host/owner Dan was very welcoming on the phone when I made my plans, and was even more so in person. Kati (sp?) the housekeeper was a wonderfully warm woman; always available with a smile and a "yes" to any request - and cooked up a nice hot breakfast too! The house itself is charming and comfortable and fun (I loved the "hidden" bedroom behind a bookshelf!) and the property was just lovely... outside the back door is a lovely garden which leads to a staircase that goes down to a huge piece of secluded private property that includes a creek! Just gorgeous! I can't say enough about Dan & Kati and the Wishing Well. I know I'll be back soon and I hope you get to see them someday too!
-Michael
NYC

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2009

My husband & I have just returned from the Wishing Well where we stayed the weekend with two other couples. One of the other couples booked it as it was one of the only places available because it was the weekend of the winterfest.One couple got there before the rest of us and my friend called my cellphone from her car-they did not want to go in. She said it looked awful but we had no choice as we had already paid and there was no place else to go. Big Mistake. We got there shortly after and it was awful but we all agreed to make the best of it. It is a dilapidated old farmhouse. It seems as if not an OUNCE of funds have been put into repairs or maintenance, in many, many years. It is unattractive from within as well as out. It is sandwiched in between two other houses. All this I could have handled.
But not the bugs.
My friend had some knowledge of these bugs as she is from PA. We looked them up on the internet and they are called Brown Marmorated Stink Bugs. Yes. And the place is infested with them. I did not sleep a wink after one crashed onto our bed one night while we were in it. They have a hard type of shell and you could hear them in the dark crash into the furniture. They were crawling on the hallway mouldings, the handrails, the floor, my bedroom lamp.
I wanted to speak to the innkeeper about the problem but only really saw him when we checked in on Friday. He left Friday night for a concert and that was it for the weekend. There is a lovely European woman named Kati who cooks and cleans and she was sweet and accomodating. The previous reviewer stated something about the smell of freshly baked muffins. There was not a fresh baked muffin on the premises. Several nice store bought ones at breakfast time, a nice coffee cake and Kati cooked eggs and bacon and pancakes, all very nicely.
But I still couldn't get past the bugs
I had read the reviews on this place before we left so I arrived with low expectations but was willing to make the best of it and looked forward to hanging out with our friends. But it just ruined our weekend. We paid $245 for the two nights-very reasonable under normal circumstances but this was NOT worth half of that.

Stayed January 2009
5 Thank DeniseLINY
barbied0ll, owner at The Wishing Well Guesthouse, responded to this review, July 9, 2009
This reviewer did not mention that the "bugs" during her stay were indiginous, at that time, to the entire Delaware Valley, which was infested with these harmless moths seeking refuge from the bitter cold. They "stink bugs"confounded Terminex, who, of course, we phoned immediately when they were first sited. The group this reviewer was with were at the Wishing Well on a special group rate and none of them, not even the reviewer, had any verbal complaints to Kathi, the innkeeper. Unfortunately I was only on premise that weekend to greet them because I had business to attend to from my day job. Despite what the reviewer claims,there were plenty of vacancies at other Inns in the area that weekend which is why I gave them a discount rate--Winterfest is not a big "stayover" holiday in New Hope. Cleanliness is never an issue at my Inn--the housekeeper is European and extremely meticulous! It IS a 175 year old house--those that want a "new old" house (ie reconstructed) should try replications is Peddler's Village. The Wishing Well is the "real thing" and living with ancient houses, while wonderful, have their structural problems as any one who takes them on will attest. However, restoring them, though a challenge, is quite rewarding.
I find this review typical of many in my experience at Trip Advisor. Readers will find either "excellent" or "terrible", with few reviewers in between, because those that LOVE their experience take the time to write in and those that did not get what they want (usually an altercation over money) write in but "in betweens" generally are passing by guests who are satisfied and move on.
In my opinion, the truest review is one of returning guests and of the 500 that passed through my Inn in 2007, 65% returned in 2008. That is a HUGE rate, given the fact that , according to travel statistics,most people travel to a destination only once every five years.
I ask readers: Please don't get "buggy" over one review (of the Wishing Well or ANY Inn) and be aware that ANY drastically negative review ("terrible")generally constitutes a demanding guest who did not win a monetary despute or one who had been chastized for bad behavior by the owner or innkeeper.
I wish there was a Guest Advisor. I would bet that I would be writing reviews on the same guests who have given my lovely, charming, super friendly Inn the negative reviews contained in Trip Advisor! They are just mismatches.
Remember:Inn folks are in the business BECAUSE they like to make other folks happy and comfortable.No guest is held hostage at any Inn. Writing negative reviews on the Internet has become a means of retribution, and retaliation, generally from a guest who we owners would not want back on our property anyway!
Roseland, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2009

We've stayed here sevaral in the past, the last time we actually got engaged here. Everyone makes you feel like family, Dan & Kati, not that sterile feeling you get at hotels. You can relax in the large backyard, or retreat to mthe wooded area complete with gazebo & babbling brook. The smell when you first walk into the guesthouse is of freshly baked muffins and aromatic candles, and you never want to leave. The breakfast and mid-day treats offer something for every palate. We've stayed in several different rooms & each is distinct & we love them all. We hope you share our experience. Perfect for a weekend getaway. Close enough to the action, but not so close you can't sleep. This is the only place we would ever stay on our visits to New Hope.
Kathy & Jimmy

Stayed June 2008
LONGISLANDNY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2008

My girlfriend and myself stayed in the Chelsea room over the Columbus day weekend. First let me say Daniel,the owner was a pleasure to do business with. Last minute changes had to be made concerning my plans ,and Daniel was more then willing to accomadate me. The room was clean, had everything we needed and most importantly was very private. Kati, an employee at the house was wonderful and more then willing to attend to any special requests. The inn is a short walk into New Hope which is nice with the limited parking aviable in town. I look forward to staying there again and would have no problem reccomending it to a friend.

• Liked — willingness of staff to accommodate
  • Disliked — no problems
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near New Hope
The Temperance House Inn
Logan Inn
Logan Inn
#7 of 19 in New Hope

Been to The Wishing Well Guesthouse? Share your experiences!