“Bugs”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in New Hope
The Wishing Well Guesthouse
Ranked #9 of 19 New Hope B&B and Inns
New York
“Bugs”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2009

My husband & I have just returned from the Wishing Well where we stayed the weekend with two other couples. One of the other couples booked it as it was one of the only places available because it was the weekend of the winterfest.One couple got there before the rest of us and my friend called my cellphone from her car-they did not want to go in. She said it looked awful but we had no choice as we had already paid and there was no place else to go. Big Mistake. We got there shortly after and it was awful but we all agreed to make the best of it. It is a dilapidated old farmhouse. It seems as if not an OUNCE of funds have been put into repairs or maintenance, in many, many years. It is unattractive from within as well as out. It is sandwiched in between two other houses. All this I could have handled.
But not the bugs.
My friend had some knowledge of these bugs as she is from PA. We looked them up on the internet and they are called Brown Marmorated Stink Bugs. Yes. And the place is infested with them. I did not sleep a wink after one crashed onto our bed one night while we were in it. They have a hard type of shell and you could hear them in the dark crash into the furniture. They were crawling on the hallway mouldings, the handrails, the floor, my bedroom lamp.
I wanted to speak to the innkeeper about the problem but only really saw him when we checked in on Friday. He left Friday night for a concert and that was it for the weekend. There is a lovely European woman named Kati who cooks and cleans and she was sweet and accomodating. The previous reviewer stated something about the smell of freshly baked muffins. There was not a fresh baked muffin on the premises. Several nice store bought ones at breakfast time, a nice coffee cake and Kati cooked eggs and bacon and pancakes, all very nicely.
But I still couldn't get past the bugs
I had read the reviews on this place before we left so I arrived with low expectations but was willing to make the best of it and looked forward to hanging out with our friends. But it just ruined our weekend. We paid $245 for the two nights-very reasonable under normal circumstances but this was NOT worth half of that.

Stayed January 2009
5 Thank DeniseLINY
barbied0ll, owner at The Wishing Well Guesthouse, responded to this review, July 9, 2009
This reviewer did not mention that the "bugs" during her stay were indiginous, at that time, to the entire Delaware Valley, which was infested with these harmless moths seeking refuge from the bitter cold. They "stink bugs"confounded Terminex, who, of course, we phoned immediately when they were first sited. The group this reviewer was with were at the Wishing Well on a special group rate and none of them, not even the reviewer, had any verbal complaints to Kathi, the innkeeper. Unfortunately I was only on premise that weekend to greet them because I had business to attend to from my day job. Despite what the reviewer claims,there were plenty of vacancies at other Inns in the area that weekend which is why I gave them a discount rate--Winterfest is not a big "stayover" holiday in New Hope. Cleanliness is never an issue at my Inn--the housekeeper is European and extremely meticulous! It IS a 175 year old house--those that want a "new old" house (ie reconstructed) should try replications is Peddler's Village. The Wishing Well is the "real thing" and living with ancient houses, while wonderful, have their structural problems as any one who takes them on will attest. However, restoring them, though a challenge, is quite rewarding.
I find this review typical of many in my experience at Trip Advisor. Readers will find either "excellent" or "terrible", with few reviewers in between, because those that LOVE their experience take the time to write in and those that did not get what they want (usually an altercation over money) write in but "in betweens" generally are passing by guests who are satisfied and move on.
In my opinion, the truest review is one of returning guests and of the 500 that passed through my Inn in 2007, 65% returned in 2008. That is a HUGE rate, given the fact that , according to travel statistics,most people travel to a destination only once every five years.
I ask readers: Please don't get "buggy" over one review (of the Wishing Well or ANY Inn) and be aware that ANY drastically negative review ("terrible")generally constitutes a demanding guest who did not win a monetary despute or one who had been chastized for bad behavior by the owner or innkeeper.
I wish there was a Guest Advisor. I would bet that I would be writing reviews on the same guests who have given my lovely, charming, super friendly Inn the negative reviews contained in Trip Advisor! They are just mismatches.
Remember:Inn folks are in the business BECAUSE they like to make other folks happy and comfortable.No guest is held hostage at any Inn. Writing negative reviews on the Internet has become a means of retribution, and retaliation, generally from a guest who we owners would not want back on our property anyway!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Roseland, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2009

We've stayed here sevaral in the past, the last time we actually got engaged here. Everyone makes you feel like family, Dan & Kati, not that sterile feeling you get at hotels. You can relax in the large backyard, or retreat to mthe wooded area complete with gazebo & babbling brook. The smell when you first walk into the guesthouse is of freshly baked muffins and aromatic candles, and you never want to leave. The breakfast and mid-day treats offer something for every palate. We've stayed in several different rooms & each is distinct & we love them all. We hope you share our experience. Perfect for a weekend getaway. Close enough to the action, but not so close you can't sleep. This is the only place we would ever stay on our visits to New Hope.
Kathy & Jimmy

Stayed June 2008
LONGISLANDNY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2008

My girlfriend and myself stayed in the Chelsea room over the Columbus day weekend. First let me say Daniel,the owner was a pleasure to do business with. Last minute changes had to be made concerning my plans ,and Daniel was more then willing to accomadate me. The room was clean, had everything we needed and most importantly was very private. Kati, an employee at the house was wonderful and more then willing to attend to any special requests. The inn is a short walk into New Hope which is nice with the limited parking aviable in town. I look forward to staying there again and would have no problem reccomending it to a friend.

• Liked — willingness of staff to accommodate
  • Disliked — no problems
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
CT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2008

I have been staying at The Wishing Well in New Hope at least two times per year when I am in the area. It is not the most luxurious place, but is a quaint and comfortable, sometimes funky, home away from home. Staff members will help out with your needs, or leave you to your privacy, if that is what you prefer. Each room is different than the others and stairs are required for all but the two ground floor rooms. Breakfasts are hearty and served promptly. Individual needs can be met with advanced notice. The rooms are quite comfortable and quiet, and cable TV is provided in all. Also, a library of books and videos is available for guests' entertainment. Finally, the outside grounds are rural Bucks Count y and an impressive descending stairway leads down to a woodland gazebo and is quite worth the effort to get to it. Stay at the Wishing Well for a memorable stay in Bucks County PA.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled solo
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2008

We (two couples) just returned from a two day weekend spent at the Wishing Well B&B in Mt. Joy. Very little about the weekend could have been nicer due in large part to the Wishing Well itself. It is an absolutely charming old farm house (considerably updated, of course) with an ambiance that somehow makes one feel as if he were at home with family. We had two rooms. One was a small, but certainly adequated sized one on the main floor. The other was the attic suite. This latter one may be the most charming room (though, as a suite, it's technically rooms) in the establishment. And, yes, the ceiling does slope down to within about 3 feet above the floor along the outer walls buit there is still more than enough comfortable standing room over the majority of the floor space and the overall feeling is one of wonderful "coziness".. Of course six footers might feel a bit cramped , but I'm 5'7" and was very comfortable. If you do go, by the way, take note that things in the room are not always what they seem and are often turn out to be delightful surprises. An old book lying on a table, for instance, turned out not to be a book at all but a well disguised receptacle for B&B supplied goodies ...candies and nuts. One word of caution, however, the stairs leading to the attic suite are both steep and narrow. So, if you have trouble climbing stairs (there is no elevator) or are traveling with a lot of heavy luggage then the attic may not be the place for you. I'm 78, however, and had no trouble with the stairs or with a full suitcase that can just barely make it on a plane as carry-on.

Stayed June 2008
Westchester, IL
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2008

I looked at the online virtual tour and picked the Green Room as it looked spacious enough and had a stone wall behind the bed. Whoever did the virtual tour video is a magician! We arrived to find a room so small there wasn't enough room to change your mind. Trying to make lemonade out of a lemon, we laughed and joked a lot about the accommodations.

The bathroom was so small two people had no chance fitting in together. The hot water vanished mid shower and was replaced by an icy cold flow. Water pressure was awful! Don't even think of trying to put on your makeup with the bathroom lighting or you'll look like a scarecrow. And when you brush your teeth beware of the shelf under the mirror or you'll hit your head on it. And closing the pocket door to the bathroom was a chore as it was off the track.

The bed was "adorned" with a bedspread and pillow covers that gagged you with their musty smell. There was no closet, just a short wardrobe cabinet not capable of handling dresses or long coats. One of the dresser drawers couldn't be opened. The mirror above the dresser was the only one that could be used when getting ready to go out. We had to put the bedside lamp on the dresser and open all the curtains in order to get enough light to see what we looked like.

The "living room" has a fireplace & TV but the couches are so musty smelling you can't sit on them too long without having a reathing attack. The piano is a piece of junk.

We only saw Daniel once in the two days we were there. Kati (the housekeeper) was very friendly. Whatever we asked for she provided.

There's a beautiful walkway and creek in the back of the property which we would have enjoyed had the weather been better.

Overall, it was a good thing we had a busy schedule because spending any casual time in our room was out of the question. Sure, it's an old and very interesting house but it's very poorly maintained. We won't be back.

• Liked — Kati, the housekeeper
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
6 Thank jkmjmm
Philadelphia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2008

I only wish there was a category worse than "Terrible" that I could give this place. It was dirty, no hot water, no water pressure, cold, bed was too short and small for 2 people to sleep in (not to mention uncomfortable), the bathroom was disgusting and filthy, and it was musty and mildewy. They actually put a space heater in the room because it was cold, but it didn't even work. But the worst part of it was the innkeeper, "Daniel," who was rude and unscrupulous. When one couple's toilet clogged, he approached them in a crowd of people, asked them what they did to clog the toilet and handed them a plunger! There is definitely something wrong with the man.

Trust me. Stay away!

• Liked — A good story for "Worst B & B Stay Ever!"
  • Disliked — The owner / innkeeper
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
The Temperance House Inn
Logan Inn
Logan Inn
#7 of 19 in New Hope

Been to The Wishing Well Guesthouse? Share your experiences!