“Absolutely delightful”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in New Hope
The Wishing Well Guesthouse
Ranked #10 of 19 New Hope B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 22, 2008

We (two couples) just returned from a two day weekend spent at the Wishing Well B&B in Mt. Joy. Very little about the weekend could have been nicer due in large part to the Wishing Well itself. It is an absolutely charming old farm house (considerably updated, of course) with an ambiance that somehow makes one feel as if he were at home with family. We had two rooms. One was a small, but certainly adequated sized one on the main floor. The other was the attic suite. This latter one may be the most charming room (though, as a suite, it's technically rooms) in the establishment. And, yes, the ceiling does slope down to within about 3 feet above the floor along the outer walls buit there is still more than enough comfortable standing room over the majority of the floor space and the overall feeling is one of wonderful "coziness".. Of course six footers might feel a bit cramped , but I'm 5'7" and was very comfortable. If you do go, by the way, take note that things in the room are not always what they seem and are often turn out to be delightful surprises. An old book lying on a table, for instance, turned out not to be a book at all but a well disguised receptacle for B&B supplied goodies ...candies and nuts. One word of caution, however, the stairs leading to the attic suite are both steep and narrow. So, if you have trouble climbing stairs (there is no elevator) or are traveling with a lot of heavy luggage then the attic may not be the place for you. I'm 78, however, and had no trouble with the stairs or with a full suitcase that can just barely make it on a plane as carry-on.

Stayed: June 2008

Reviewed March 20, 2008

I looked at the online virtual tour and picked the Green Room as it looked spacious enough and had a stone wall behind the bed. Whoever did the virtual tour video is a magician! We arrived to find a room so small there wasn't enough room to change your mind. Trying to make lemonade out of a lemon, we laughed and joked a lot about the accommodations.

The bathroom was so small two people had no chance fitting in together. The hot water vanished mid shower and was replaced by an icy cold flow. Water pressure was awful! Don't even think of trying to put on your makeup with the bathroom lighting or you'll look like a scarecrow. And when you brush your teeth beware of the shelf under the mirror or you'll hit your head on it. And closing the pocket door to the bathroom was a chore as it was off the track.

The bed was "adorned" with a bedspread and pillow covers that gagged you with their musty smell. There was no closet, just a short wardrobe cabinet not capable of handling dresses or long coats. One of the dresser drawers couldn't be opened. The mirror above the dresser was the only one that could be used when getting ready to go out. We had to put the bedside lamp on the dresser and open all the curtains in order to get enough light to see what we looked like.

The "living room" has a fireplace & TV but the couches are so musty smelling you can't sit on them too long without having a reathing attack. The piano is a piece of junk.

We only saw Daniel once in the two days we were there. Kati (the housekeeper) was very friendly. Whatever we asked for she provided.

There's a beautiful walkway and creek in the back of the property which we would have enjoyed had the weather been better.

Overall, it was a good thing we had a busy schedule because spending any casual time in our room was out of the question. Sure, it's an old and very interesting house but it's very poorly maintained. We won't be back.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
6  Thank jkmjmm
Reviewed January 24, 2008

I only wish there was a category worse than "Terrible" that I could give this place. It was dirty, no hot water, no water pressure, cold, bed was too short and small for 2 people to sleep in (not to mention uncomfortable), the bathroom was disgusting and filthy, and it was musty and mildewy. They actually put a space heater in the room because it was cold, but it didn't even work. But the worst part of it was the innkeeper, "Daniel," who was rude and unscrupulous. When one couple's toilet clogged, he approached them in a crowd of people, asked them what they did to clog the toilet and handed them a plunger! There is definitely something wrong with the man.

Trust me. Stay away!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
9  Thank sle212
Reviewed September 30, 2007

I just came back from this nightmarish place and I swore that I will tell the story once I'll be back home so others will keep themselves away from the so called wishing well...
Dirty, with incredible small rooms, no privacy (our bathroom window looked over the manager's office), musty smell all over (my clothes still smell awful), cracked windows that let the leafs and bugs in without any problems and I don't even want to mention the breakfast that had the same quality as the house.
In just one word "wish I've never been there". Unfortunately my husband and myself arrived very late and other places were booked so we had to spend the night there but we tried to make it as short as possible.
Don't go there even if you spend the night in your own car!

Stayed: September 2007
8  Thank doctorsstatenisland
Reviewed June 23, 2007

Spent 2 nights in this property recently. Booked directly through the owner (Daniel) via a phone call. Due to my travel schedule (part work, and part personal), I was unsure of my departure date, but would stay 2 nights if he had room, and possibly more, if all went well. I was not ambiguous about this fact. He quoted a rate, and proceeded to charge my credit card for 6 nights, which was the maximum that we had discussed. This was before I had even seen the place.

Late arrival and limited / no parking on the first night (same on the 2nd night as well). The inn was unlocked and I found my own way to the room after a call to Daniel. No problem there. I was in the attic room, which is not very accommodating for a 6’ 1” person. The only place I could stand upright was in the very center of the roofline or parts of the bathroom. There is plenty of square footage, but most of it would only be accessible to someone significantly shorter than I.

The stairs to the attic were very narrow, wooden and spiraled (in no way romantic). It was a challenge to navigate these stairs with small rollaway luggage that I am used to carrying all over the planet. The stairs were unsafe at best. The bed was extremely tiny, somewhere between a twin and a queen, but shorter. Again, not fun for someone tall. There is air-conditioning, which made the nights bearable.

In the AM, I found ants on the interior bathroom windowsill. Don’t put your shaving kit there, or you will have travel guests along for the ride to your next destination. I don’t get worked up over bugs, but some people do, and should be aware of them. I left without breakfast & did not return until about midnight, so I didn’t explore the grounds or visit with other guests. I also had a chance to meet the owner in person and discuss the charges and we came to a somewhat mutually agreeable refund (for the extra nights he initially charged). Managed to get a good night sleep, even on the short-ish bed. Woke up to a shower with no water pressure. It was bad (but it did exist) the first day, but I honestly had to wait 10+ minutes to get a trickle of warm water the second day. Dressed, navigated the stairs down and out. Never to return.

In summary…

Cons:
Attic room is not good for tall people
No shower pressure, and I do mean “none” when the other people downstairs are using their sinks/showers.
Bugs
The staircase was just plain dangerous
Tiny bed
Tiny shower
What sort of place charges your credit card for the full stay before you arrive?
WAY to far out of town for a comfortable walk to the restaurants & shops
Inadequate parking

Pros:
Working AC
Sitting room attached to the attic room
Extension cords with available outlets for my laptop, cell & PDA chargers
Clean linens & bath towels
Functioning TV
Quiet while I was there

Neutral:
Breakfast looked well above average (I did not partake)
Grounds looked scenic and were well groomed (I did not partake)
Other rooms may be much better (no way to know)
Was refunded $$ for the 4 nights not used, but charged a higher rate for the 2 nights I was present.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business
6  Thank Skeeter_D
Reviewed January 15, 2007

My boyfriend decided to take me on a romantic Christmas weekend away from our home in NYC. He booked the trip online to surprise me. When we arrived, boy, we sure did get a surprise!

The B&B was advertised as being "historically" authentic, yada yada yada. It was described as a former farmhouse with acres of land- giving the impression that it was quite spacious. In reality, neighboring houses were so close, a single truck separated them. It felt like a trailer park.

We arrived with no one to greet us, to a loud radio playing rap music. Once inside the Chelsea Room, we were welcomed by a friendly bug crawling on the wall, a stucco ceiling, water-stained wallpaper, and a bed made with cardboard-feeling flannel sheets that weren't even tucked in. Add dusty fake flowers, and a "fridge" that could hold only two small water bottles. The fireplace was a facade (non-working), and the bathroom (shower stall) was plastic 1960's that could barely fit one person.

The room had an overwhelming stench of mildew (hence the water stained wallpaper), which induced an asthma attack in myself. When we tried to open the windows, the rickety blinds fell down to our feet. Grasping for some clean air, my boyfriend managed to get the jammed window open only to realize it had no screen and a lovely view of the florescent lights from the gas station directly across the street.

We stayed for 5 minutes, and had to get out of that horrible place.

It was awful to then learn that the entire 3 day stay was paid for in advance (their policy) and was non-refundable.

I am not accusing the inn keepers of being bad people, but they should be ashamed of falsely advertising the way that they do. Charging premium prices ($150.00 a day on weekends) for sub-standard accommodations in wrong. Stay away from this place!

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
Fox and Hound Bed and Breakfast of New Hope
The Centre Bridge Inn
The Centre Bridge Inn
#12 of 19 in New Hope

Been to The Wishing Well Guesthouse? Share your experiences!