“Hospitality, Charm and Warmth define the Wishing Well Guest House”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in New Hope
The Wishing Well Guesthouse
Ranked #11 of 19 New Hope B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 8, 2012

My husband, our dog and I were in desperate need of lodging during Hurricane Sandy. We had been without power or heat for four days. A close friend suggested that I call the Wishing Well.They were incredibly accommodating to us even though they don't always take dogs. From the moment we walked in the door, Mike Cueto and Dan McDonald made us feel right at home. There was a fire in the fireplace. Snacks and wine had been put out. Our room was cozy and fit out with antiques. The most impressive part of all this is that Daniel Brooks, the owner, insisted on dropping the rates because so many people were out in the cold. The result was that I called friends and within 24 hours, two more couples we knew had checked in and fallen in love with the place.

We woke up every morning to an amazing breakfast that Dan or Mike had prepared. Home made muffins, sometimes eggs and bacon, quiche, pumpkin pancakes to name a few. Also fresh juices, coffee, cereal, yogurt. I'm afraid to get on the scale!

One of our friends also brought a dog and Mike and Dan played on the floor with them. They let us use the kitchen to save money because we were there for a week. They let us use the laundry facilities because we were running out of clean clothes. There was nothing they didn't offer to help us with to make us comfortable. I felt like I was on a holiday at a friend's house.

The Wishing Well is not a pretentious place. It is warm and gracious. The rooms are each different . Some fancier than others (for the ultimate in luxury, ask for the cathedral room). The common areas (a spacious living room with a flat screen TV and fireplace and a sunny dining area adjacent to the kitchen) are charming. They feature field stone and wood walls, both period and more modern furniture and it all fits nicely together.

My husband and I fared better than most during the storm. However, the power was out in our city for 10 days which also shut down our business. I have a feeling that despite all of that, when I look back on Hurricane Sandy, I will remember staying with my friends in front of the fire at the Wishing Well. Thank you Daniel, Mike and Dan!

Room Tip: The cathedral room is fantastic!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 31, 2012

To celebrate a friend's birthday weekend, we decided to head to New Hope, PA. Finding dinner reservations was extremely easy, lodging accommodations proved to be more of a challenge. There are almost too many options. However, the Wishing Well Guesthouse caught my eye. After my reservation was confirmed, admittedly I was a bit nervous about staying in a guesthouse.

Taking a chance on the guesthouse, trying to make the weekend more special, paid offed. After spending the weekend at the Wishing Well I can comfortable say that I had a great experience. The Inn Keepers were extremely kind, friendly, and knowledgeable. From check in to check out, I don’t think better service could have been offered. Waking up each morning to a home cooked breakfast along with greatly brewed coffee was something that did not take getting used to. On my friend’s birthday, a card accompanied by a piece of birthday cake was thoughtfully provided.

Over the weekend there was a lot to take in, museums, shops, and restaurants. With that said, the one, stand out experience was the Wishing Well. The Innkeepers and the other guests made the experience unforgettable. I would not hesitate to book this guesthouse. I look forward to staying there again, hopefully in the not so distant future.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Phaser58
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Beautiful B&B with warm, wonderful hosts on a gorgeous piece of property! Highly recommend staying here. Located just outside of the center of New Hope, a short walk or bike ride to Main St. Very comfortable bed, all amenities provided and eager to please hosts. Dan poured us two glasses of wine even though it was not a "Happy Hour " on the porch day! Wishing Well is such an interesting home, very authentic, yet very comfortable.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 22, 2012

As this was my first time staying at a B&B I have to say I was a little nervous. Upon arriving at The Wishing Well I met Dan the innkeeper, a pleasant man who answered all my questions about the area. I stayed in the Cathedral room which was located right outside of the dining area. I found my room very clean and comfortable in fact I was napping in there almost everyday. I really don't understand Amanda's review cuz I slept in everyday I didn't hear anyone in the dining area in the morning even though it was a packed house. I normally don't eat breakfast but talking with Dan I jokingly mentioned to him that I love biscuits and sausage gravy. The morning that I left I woke up at 9am to eat breakfast before my 8 hr drive and Dan made Sausage gravy for everyone in the house. I never felt so special. As for the toiletries in the bathroom they seemed fine just like in any hotel but I used the ones i brought with me. I had to laugh at Amanda again for her talk about the toilet paper...How many rolls do you need in your stay? Maybe lay off the coffee in the morning ya might save some trees. I have to say what a great time I had staying here. In fact Dan made me feel like I was staying at my friends house. Very comfortable and very homey. At the end of my stay I felt like I gained a friend in Dan. I can't wait for my next trip here. Next time I'll bring a friend. Thanks again Wishing Well and to you Dan

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I had the oppertunity to return to the wishing for an extended stay,in early October. This time I was fortunate to be able to bring my wife along with me. My wife loved the place as much as I do we even got to have the same room, which is the blue room tucked behind the bookcase door. We arrived ahead of schedule, I didn't get lost this time, but Dan the Innn keeper called me just to see where we were, we had just gotten in the door to his supprise. It was good to see Dan again, it was like comming home. This 1800's farm house has all the charm that you would expect from that period of time. It's cozy atmosphere lends it self to a relaxing stay, whether in the eating area, or by the fire talking with friends of some of the other guests. Things at the Inn keep getting better, from the breakfasts of fresh fruits, muffins and pancakes to the coffee, and juices in the morning. There always is enough and the self service is a nice touch. The convience of a microwave to make sure your food is piping hot and a good selection of teas for those non coffee drinkers.A walk down the steps to the creek below and you are wisked away to aplace of both beauty and solitude. the only thing you may hear is the whistle of the train as it slowly makes it's way past the inn. A short walk down into town reveals just how quaint this town is with much history and many places to explore. Lunch and dinner can be experienced in any one of the fine restaurants,through the town. After a day of exploring the walk back will set you in the mood for some good conversation by the fire in the living room. The Wishing Well is a oasis in a fast track world with all of it's comforts it is like a visit to grandma's house when you were little, it uniquely lends it self to a laid back style.Dan has done so much with the Inn in the short time he has been there, and continues to make improvments. If your looking for a place with character and charm with out a lot of needless frills the Wishing Well is worth your consideration. We will keep going back, we have made some wonderful friendships there.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 16, 2012

This was supposed to be a nice little weekend getaway, a mother/daughter girls weekend. It certainly did not turn out that way.

From the moment my mom and I pulled up to the Wishing Well driveway, a bad taste was put in my mouth. Well, I can say the bad taste began while driving there. Dan kept called my mom to ask when she would be arriving. Please note it was about 7pm and it would take us about an hour to get there. While my mom and I thought it was nice of Dan to be calling us to check in at the time, we later realized that he was calling us to inquire about our arrival just so he would have a better idea of when he could go to the bar across the street from the Wishing Well and start his night out with friends.

Like I said, this was supposed to be a fun, relaxing, girls weekend. First thing Dan did when we arrived was swipe the credit card. I may be mistaken, but doesn't one usually pay when checking out? He couldn't get his hands on our credit card fast enough.

When he showed us to our room, we realized that it was situated right outside the kitchen area where you can hear EVERYTHING AND EVERYONE in the morning. There would be no sleeping in for us. As I pulled back the sheets, i realized there were holes and tears in the sheets. There was also no mattress pad and the blanket was very pilled and needed to be replaced about 5 years ago. To top it off, the toiletries in the bathroom were extremely disappointing and the carpet was dirty.

Let's cut to Saturday morning. We were woken up nice and early by the other guests since the walls in our room were paper thin. We walk outside to get coffee and there's none left. There is also some cold quiche sitting out, very unsanitary. We waited around for about 10 minutes and then decided to make our own coffee since Dan or any of the other inkeepers were nowhere to be found. Twenty minutes later Dan comes back all sweaty from a run and asks, "is there a problem?" Yes, actually there is a problem. If you say you're serving breakfast from 830-1030, i expect there to be coffee and hot food waiting for me. From that moment on, Dan had a major attitude and made himself EXTREMELY awkward to be around. We enjoyed the coffee that we had to brew ourselves and left for the crafts fair, the one nice part of the weekend.

Other negatives about this hotel
--you are provided with one roll of toilet paper and when you ask for an additional roll, you are asked to look on the toilet brush for one--pretty disgusting
--not enough seating in dining area. there are only two small tables that can seat about 2 people each.
-don't expect to watch much tv. you are given a computer monitor, not a real tv screen and it's tiny.
-broken outlets in hotel room so don't expect to blow dry your hair without a hassle
--store bought pastries when all of these reviews talk about homemade desserts

Please do yourself a favor and book a nice bed and breakfast in town. Spend the few extra bucks, it will be worth it in the end.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Amanda L
barbied0ll, Owner at The Wishing Well Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2012

As the owner of the Wishing Well I have been so delighted this past year with the many, many outstanding reviews posted by pleased guests--some who have become "friends"--on Trip Advisor and other review sources. We were honored when we received an Award of Excellence from Trip Advisor a few months ago and it is proudly displayed on our front door.

This is the Inn's 12th year in business, and, although--as a 187 year old farmhouse--there's not much that can change physically, I attribute this year's avalanche of notes on refreshing touches and a new ambience to my current innkeepers, who entered the hospitality field enthusiastically and with an earnest desire to prove themselves and enhance my wonderful Inn by making sure that each guest is treated as "special."

There is not much to say about this review except that it is disappointing and subjective. Obviously whatever these guests were expecting was not fulfilled and I apologize. Unfortunately I was away on business during their stay so did not have the opportunity to get to know them.

While I could defend points, such as a "computer screen instead of a real TV" which is actually a brand new Sony flatscreen with DVD attachment; or the visible extra roll of toilet paper (that was a FIRST complaint about that in all these years--generally a guest will complain that they have to hunt in a closet for it;) or a tiny pinhole in our awesome non-allergic soft cotton blankets (it's been replaced;) I think that we'll just say that the guests were just not happy. I understand the whole deluge happened after they found my innkeeper out for a morning run when they went to get coffee...actually another guest made it for them to appease them and alerted the innkeeper regarding the demeanor of the displeased guests.

I urge readers of this review to consider that everyone in the world cannot be pleased. My profession is psychoanalyst--I can speak to that! There are personality clashes everywhere. But when unhappy, the first line of resolution should always be to speak up and ask at the time of need--not a week later in an ugly bad review.

I have many innkeeper friends and I can assure you that NONE of them set out in the hospitality business to make guests unhappy or uncomforable as their mission in life. When you are at a hotel or Inn and want something---ask for it! Don't make it into an excuse to blog. We are here to please you and I assure you that we will challenge ourselves to make sure that your frown turns into a smile!

And many thanks to the abundance of our guests who have taken the time to write wonderful, magical reviews about my lovely, quaint and historic Inn. It's not a reconstructed or nouveau vintage Inn--it housed soldiers in the Civil War and was once a stage coach stop--it's the real deal. If you are looking for re-enactments, there are plenty of those in New Hope and the area for you to chose from. If you want authentic and personable, I personally invite you to please visit with us at the Wishing Well.

Reviewed October 13, 2012

Last weekend my wife and I stayed at the Wishing Well with our two year old daughter and had an absolutely lovely time. The inn itself is something like 160 years old and has character in spades, with a cozy fireplace in the common room just off the kitchen and a "secret" guest room behind a bookcase in which you can stay. Being a tiny bit further from downtown New Hope than some other establishments (a mere ten minute walk) is no disservice to the Wishing Well, as the walk is idyllic and parallels the very tracks on which the scenic New Hope & Ivyland Railroad runs. Be sure to grab your coffee, venture down the wooden stairs and walk the path to Ingham Creek in the morning for a bit of nature before you start your day. Breakfast is simple but elegant, blueberry pancakes, bacon, toast, bagels, cereal, fruit, in short, something for everyone. You can eat in your room or in the common area, but I suggest grabbing a table near the kitchen where the congenial atmosphere will have you chatting with other guests and your hosts in no time. Speaking of hosts, Dan and Daniel are friendly, knowledgeable and great with kids - be sure to take advantage of their expertise. They truly want you to arrive as guests but leave as friends. I know we'll be seeing them again later this month!

Room Tip: Ask for the Blue Room.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Fox and Hound Bed and Breakfast of New Hope
Logan Inn
Logan Inn
#7 of 19 in New Hope

Been to The Wishing Well Guesthouse? Share your experiences!