“At least the valet was good!”

The Centre Bridge Inn
Ranked #12 of 19 New Hope B&B and Inns
Bridgewater, New Jersey
“At least the valet was good!”
Reviewed May 28, 2012 via mobile

Friday night of their new menu, although the cocktails were listed online the bar was not ready to serve all of them. Best if you do not want to drink wine by the glass, as the only offering is the house brand which is not very good. The four slices of Italian bread in the bread basket were stale/hard, the replacement basket delievered without a word by the manager contained three slices of a warm cheese bread. Minutes later another replacement basket was delivered by the waiter and this one contained four still frozen dinner rolls. The calamari was mostly tentacles and missing a significant ingredient listed on the menu, the cherry peppers. The experience went further downhill when our dinners arrived barely at room temperature. The seafood pasta was like glue with a bland tomato sauce except for the extreme amount of salt. The salmon was so salty it was the only thing you could taste and again it did not match the menu description. The food was NOT edible. As our waiter was nowhere to be found, we went out front to find the manager. The hostess advised her and when she arrived she ignored us and went on to greet guests that had just arrived. The valet was ready with our keys and super nice. Their website asks people to write good reviews and will give you a "freebie" if you send it to them. I wonder what they would say about our ruined evening?

• Stayed May 2012
5 Thank Traveler27NJ

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Valley Forge, PA
Reviewed May 14, 2012

My husband and I took his Mother to this over rated Sunday brunch - soggy salad; tough as nails French toast; rubbery potatoes; dry beef (to mention a few of the almost inedible food selections) and lousy Sangria - 2 ounces for 9 bucks a glass. We had to bus our own table - twice! And when the bill came, an automatic 18% gratuity was added - for what? My hubby and I are not cheap, and have eaten at some of the finest restaurants around the world. But we do expect decent fare, value and service.
When we complained to the owner, he could have cared less.
Our advice - don't EVER go there!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Marilyn G
Norwood
Reviewed March 21, 2012

We were booked for 2 nights in September. The room smelled musty, the bathroom was dirty, the 5 star restaurant was horrible, there was a Wedding there, kids running around screaming on top of their lungs, and our car was held captive because it was buried in the parking lot behind all the wedding cars. We were told if we planned to go out the next night we have to make arrangements with them - instead of the them having designated parking spaces. The CONTINENTAL breaklfast does not show up till 8:00 am - not even coffee. After the first night I could not wait to get out of there - I told them we were checking out a day early because we were not happy with anything - they offered to refund us the tax for the second night (about $25) on my charge - which they never did. I cannot honestly say how anyone could give this place good reviews, I never complain about anything just usually chalk it up but I could not let this pass!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank dregirl
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed January 8, 2012

We stayed here for my birthday weekend. We arrived after dark on a Friday and were initially thinking it was way too far out of town. But our two-room suite was charming, albeit a bit musty. (The place IS 300 years old!) We had reservations for dinner at the restaurant downstairs. It was lovely! We had a table by the huge roaring fireplace, which is one of the original fixtures from when it was first built. (Our server was very knowledgeable!) We had a lobster mac and cheese appetizer, which was delicious and filling. I was so full, I barely made a dent in my entree, which was an eggplant dish. It was scrumptious! My husband is still salivating over the sweetbreads he had. The food and service were exceptional. I should also give props to the continental breakfast, which comes with a stay. The coffee was good, hot and plentiful . . . and joy, fresh, flaky croissants! There were also juices, granola, fruit, yogurt and waffles. You can eat en suite or in the cozy dining room, overlooking the river. Overall, a most enjoyable visit . . . everyone was so friendly, we will be back.

Room Tip: The downstairs rooms/suites are a bit warmer. I heard folks upstairs complaining about the cold.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Patmo51
Reviewed December 18, 2011

Charming and welcoming, we adore this Inn and it's staff. The river views are amazing and the rooms quaint and clean. We have visited many times, it's one of our favorites and we look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed September 2011
2 Thank Blueskygal11
Holland, PA
Reviewed December 15, 2011

The restaurant is cozy and quaint, it is over 300 years old and is next to the river. Upon entering, you feel like you have stepped into someone's wonderful country home. The service is gracious, our server, Denise, literally kept the home fires burning. The fireplace is cozy and warm. Ask for a table by the fireplace during winter months.

The food was excellent, everything was prepared to perfection. The oyster appetizer was presented perfectly on a bed of rock salt, not a piece of shell in any oyster. The sweet breads were a rare treat. The whole lobster was steamed perfectly. It was sweet and delectable.

The prices were good for the amount and quality of food you get. This is my third visit to the restaurant and I will definitely visit again.

There is no handicap access to the restaurant. We ate there and did not stay there.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank JaneDuPont
Newtown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 15, 2011

Food arrived not done..cold, tasteless...should I go on..okay I will! The restaurant smelled musty....not a good choice for an anniversary meal.,,or any meal for that matter! My wife ordered the rack of lamb that was supposed to be done "WELL"..it arrived pink even though the chef said it was cooked through...Uh,I don't think so! So when it was sent back for more thorough cooking it returned a different shade of "Pink"...I ordered the "Red Snapper"..cold...one bite...something funky about the taste. The waitress was great and apologized...even though it had nothing to do with her! Too add insult to injury the manager said that it must have been an "OFF"night and presented us with a $25.00 gift certificate to the restaurant???? We paid the full price for one of the most dissapointing meals we had ever had...the $25.00 gift certificate remained with the paid bill! Do yourself a favor...pass this one up!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
#7 of 19 in New Hope
The Inn at Bowman's Hill
The Inn at Bowman's Hill
#2 of 19 in New Hope

Been to The Centre Bridge Inn? Share your experiences!