“Oodles of buttery French pastries”
Review of C'est La Vie

C'est La Vie
Ranked #1 of 2 Bakeries in New Hope
Somerset, New Jersey
“Oodles of buttery French pastries”
Reviewed September 25, 2013

This bakery suffered fire damage in 2012 and was closed for a while, but I was very happy to find it open again. They have all kinds of breads, cookies, pastries, tarts and a few cakes, plus coffee and tea. I splurged on pastry to take home, and everything has been delicious. I would call this place excellent, except that the pastries are pricey. I think things like Napoleons and Eclairs are $4.50 each, which seems high to me - though undeniably worth it. Also, the sales area is small and traffic patterns uncontrolled, so there is a lot of jostling to get to the counter if you arrive when there's a crowd. However, the jostling and the expense are worth it if you really want some fabulous French pastry. And if you want to have it on the spot with your coffee, there are outdoor tables with a nice view of the river.

• Visited September 2013

Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
“Great food, a bit pricey”
Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

The pastries, cakes, cookies, breads were all fantastic! Items are a but pricey and it is extremely hot inside the little store. Outdoor seating is nice when available.

• Visited September 2013
Morristown,NJ
“A nice find”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I stopped here for breakfast based on reviews in TA. It is small and unpretentious - a bakery that serves coffee. I had the almond croissant - which was so full of almond paste that the croissant part was negligible and a very good cappuccino. I ordered a small and it was quite large. I just wish I could have had it in a ceramic cup. I hate cappucino in paper cups! I'm not going to hold that against them, since another big coffee chain insists on doing that, even if you are staying in. All the other pastries looked good, but I can't say anything about the quality.

• Visited August 2013
United States
“Been here a few times”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

I would have rated it average if not for the relaxing outdoor seating area. I would have given it a higher rating if the coffe selection was better.

• Visited July 2013
New Hope, Pennsylvania
“Where the locals shop for cakes and pastries”
Reviewed July 5, 2013

As a local, C'est La Vie is where I shop for delicious cakes, pies and French pastries. Over the years I have purchased dozens of items from this wonderful French bakery which, in my opinion, is on par with any French pastry shop in a big city. The shop accepts phone orders, a plus since it spares me two visits to often overcrowded New Hope. I especially like the fruit tart with a shell glazed with chocolate and the Christmas log or buche Noel in the original flavor. The only negative is the parking situation in the rear (the tiny shop is at the end of a small alley, and the majority of the parking spaces are owned by another shop in the front of the alley). Invariably, when you park your car to pick up your cake, you hear the pained voice of the owner of the front shop asking you if you "will be long?" Needless to say, this shop owner has lost a customer long ago. If you are picking up a cake, avoid the nagging voice of this person by parking near the side wall and close to the front of C'est La Vie. In my opinion, this outstanding pastry shop is one of New Hope's star attractions!

Visited June 2013