“bad lunch”
Review of Aladdin - CLOSED

Aladdin
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Went to new hope today looking forward to having Greek food in this restaurant sign said Greek mousaka which I love the waitress told me it came over rice which I thought wad weird it was her first day there so I figured she didn't know better when my food came it was just grilled vegetables in sauce with potatoes she insisted it was mousaka my husband ordered gyro with no onions it came with onions there are great places to eat in new hope this is not one of them

Reviewed October 31, 2013

We enjoy Mediterranean food because there are lots of vegetarian options. Decided to try Aladdin before a theater performance at the Bucks County Playhouse. Six of us arrived at 6:00 with tickets for 7:30; we informed the waitstaff of this. The time between delivering the first order and the final order was more than half an hour (all orders should have been delivered close together), leaving precious little time to enjoy the meal before having to leave for the performance. The first orders out were getting cold by the time the last was delivered, and everyone was uncomfortable with waiting for all to be served.
The food itself was OK and the portions were ample, but the anxiety over the time and when all would be served made the experience less than enjoyable. The restaurant needs to manage its time and food delivery much better.

Reviewed September 26, 2013

I was very excited to try this place but was extremely disappointed. We stopped in for appetizers and got the sampler platter and the octopus salad. The octopus was ok but the sampler platter was too vinegary besides the hummus and tabbouleh. The decorations are great but the food definitely needs to be improved.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

We ended up here for lunch the other day. Since it was lunchtime, and it was rather hot, we opted to split a couple of appetizers and the beef kebabs.

The spanicopita was fine. The phyllo was crunchy and the spinach not overly salted. The mixed salad was fresh, and came with oil and vinegar on the side. Generally, the meat cubes for this aren't tender, which is why they are marinated for a few hours, but this stuff was really tough, and all I could taste was cumin. I like cumin, but there are supposed to be other spices in the mix.

The other overriding flavor was miint. I was tasting mint all afternoon long. I'm used to mint in place of oregano, in these sort of dishes, but there is such a thing as too much.

As far as the service was concerned, our waitress was fairly attentive. She didn't mess up our order, but service was a bit slow that time of day. It's not her fault that the kitchen sent out some shoe leather masquerading as an entree.

Overall, there are many other better places to eat in New Hope.

1  Thank RussWayNorthofPhilly
Reviewed September 17, 2013

After a great first visit right after it opened (delightful waitress, very good food), we have been back two times and both times we have been quite disappointed.

Everything is hit or miss. They have a great waitress and one that is not so good (no smiles, no knowledge of the menu, had to prompt her for specials of the day).

Some of the food is okay, but mostly we were disappointed. On our first visit we got the bass and the lamb shwarma. Both were served with previously frozen vegetables and box rice (but beings that this was our only complaint about the meal, we returned). We didn't encounter any frozen vegetables on our most recent visit, but what was served instead seemed to have been in the crockpot all day (medley of potato, peas, carrots, squash) and was complete mush. We ordered the same entrees this time also, and both were quite different (no flavor this time!) than what we received the first time we visited Aladdin when we were so pleased.

The "chicken and vegetable" soup consisted of chicken broth and chunks of boiled chicken (yep, that's it).

It's a bummer that this place isn't better - we were so excited when we saw that it was opening up in New Hope. I feel like we've given it a fair shot, however, and Aladdin simply does not deliver consistently enough to make it worth going. There are other places in New Hope to eat (and even another Mediterranean place in Lambertville).

1  Thank lkern