“Hoped for More”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I had an old friend in from out of town and was looking for a charming restaurant for us to introduce our spouses and catch up. I took the time to read numerous reviews and selected the Inn at Phillips Mill based on atmpsphere and food reviews. The company and wine were excellent (keep in mind they are a BYOB!), the service was fine as was the price, the room was charming (if a bit close for my tastes), but the food was just OK. Appetizers were OK, desert was OK, but I had the veal and wasn't quite able to cut it with my knife. In retrospect I could have asked for a steak knife, but shouldn't you be able to cut veal with a regular knife? We won't be back.

There are newer reviews for Inn at Phillip's Mill Restaurant

Reviewed July 22, 2013

We visited the Inn at Phillips Mill the day after our marriage 35 years ago, and again on our 10th anniversary. We returned last night for our 35 anniversary with our daughter. On the positive side, The inn is as charming as ever, and a must see for old inn lovers. We were seated promptly, and our waitress Jane, was knowledgeable and friendly. Service was great.
I am not a really picky person, but there was a tiredness about the Inn, and it is beginning to show. The water glasses are opaque at the base due to frequent dish washing and not being dried. My daughter received a fork that had dried food on it. The bathroom needed a good deep cleaning.
The food was good, but not great. I had the lamb chops and although moist and flavorful, there was no real taste of lamb. The smoked fish dish was uneven, salmon great, whitefish did not taste fresh. My husband and daughter also felt there meals were good, but not great. The Rum Chocolate desert was amazing, but the fruit tart crust was so sweet that it almost tasted like eating raw sugar. Although listed on the menu, there was no espresso.
Not sure what is going on.
I think if you go there thinking 5 star food you might be disappointed. If you go thinking a marvelous atmosphere and good food, you will enjoy your visit.

2  Thank JimandPat78
Reviewed July 8, 2013

For our anniversary we tried the Inn at Phillips Mill in New Hope, PA. After reading the reviews on line I was concerned since there were several less then favorable ones. Still we decided to give it a try, and I am so glad we did! When we arrived for our reservation on a Sunday night, our table was ready. We were seated in the enclosed porch at a cozy corner table. The doors to the patio were open, and the ceiling fan was on. I felt very comfortable even though it was a warm evening. There were an abundance of candles lit making for a romantic atmosphere. I noticed that the wine and water glasses on our table were sparkling clean, as were the glass globes covering the candles.(always a good sign) Our waitress immediately greeted us and took our white wine. She quickly returned with it opened in an ice bucket and a basket of warm French bread and butter. She recited the specials for the evening from memory and left us to enjoy our wine. My husband chose the special three mushroom soup which had a delicious beef based broth and was full of mushrooms. I opted for the special salad which was mixed greens served in a parmesan crust with goat cheese, almonds, and dark cherries. It was great and the cherries were not the kind I find at the grocery store, but large and nicely sweet-tart. For the entree my husband had the pan seared scallops (there were seven tender ones), and I had the salmon florentine. Both were nicely served with a small scoop of mashed potatoes and green beans and mushrooms. We both enjoyed our meals and felt pleasantly full, but decided to order coffee which was hot and full-bodied. We listened to the dessert list and chose the berry tart with whipped cream to share. It arrived without the cream, but as soon as I mentioned it was forgotten our waitress whisked it back to the kitchen with an apology. The tart was tasty and just enough sweetness to finish off the delicious dinner. Our water glasses were filled several times throughout the evening. The ladies room was nicely appointed and clean and my husband said the same of the men's. When we got the bill, we thought it was comparable to other restaurants in the area with the bonus of saving on the wine since it is BYOB. We much prefer this since the wine is so much better (and cheaper) when you can bring your own. So all in all, we had a lovely experience and look forward to returning.

1  Thank laura h
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We had dinner at this restaurant and thoroughly enjoyed it. After a day of walking about New Hope, we decided to dine early, and we were the first customers at the Inn on a Monday evening. As the time passed, the restaurant filled up to some extent, but the single waiter proved up to the task. The service was friendly and attentive. The food was excellently prepared--my main course remained hot throughout the meal, something worth noting. The salads were terrific and the dessert was wonderful. When the check came, I chuckled--the same meal in Philadelphia would have cost 50-67% more than it did here and in NYC, it would have been double the price. This was just terrific.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

Bucks County is riddled with great restaurants, but the Inn is one of our favorites. Great food, wonderfully knowledgeable and pleasant staff and fabulous atmosphere. Fire and cozy in winter and fresh and outdoor (if you want to be outdoors) patio w/fountain in summer. Had NY steak on Wednesday and it was exceptional. Dining partner had pork tenderloin and it, too, was very, very good. To be honest, the patio could use a bit of sprucing up. Although, it has rained for 40 days and 40 nights around here and that could very well account for the mud residue on the patio bricks. But, a good power washing and some bright, healthy flowers would do wonders. We always go back. It's a BYO, which is great!

2  Thank catcat6327