Review Highlights

Scranton, Pennsylvania
North pole express

shars
NJ

All reviews first class cookies steam locomotive whole family north pole air conditioned car the polar express cab ride passenger cars dining car parlor car ride takes bucks county little pricey santa coach claus
Reviewed 1 week ago

My sister and I booked one of the short trips in the first class car. It was lovely, with original woodwork and other details. Lots of interesting history and views on the short trip out and back. A fun break to sit and relax after shopping all day.

1  Thank Diane R
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I've read some of the other reviews on here regarding the Haunted Halloween train ride and I think they are very harsh. Especially regarding parking, my sister and I parked in a lot just down the street and we paid $6. At any rate, when describing the train ride to friends/family afterwards, here's what I told them: I give it a 10/10 for creativity, but about a 4/10 for actual scares. The walk-through portion before you get on the train (which is just one or two rooms; only takes about two minutes) was really clever and well-done, especially with the limited space, and my sister and I both got spooked once or twice. The actual train was a minor disappointment for my sister and me because we sat with our backs to the windows--but that was our mistake, not the train company. If you take this train and want to be scared, sit in the middle! That way, the actors can sneak up behind you and scare you. Because we had our backs to the wall, this was impossible. Again, not the train company's fault; we chose those seats. Overall, I thought it was maybe a little bit pricey (one ride for 40 minutes for $50, as opposed to similar haunted hayride-type attractions for the same price that often offer multiple experiences) but in general, we were glad we went!

1  Thank Clare H
Customer Servic e, Manager at New Hope & Ivyland Railroad, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Good morning!

We are deeply disappointed that you didn't enjoy your experience on the Haunted Halloween. We thought we had a great idea with the Bootleggers Express, but it seems as though we didn't do as well as we thought. Would you be willing to come back and give us another shot? Are you interested in any of our other excursions, like the North Pole Express or Grapevine Express? Please call me so that I can set it up for you! Susan, Manager of Customer Service, New Hope & Ivyland Railroad 215-862-2332 x860

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I just booked this for Dec for my young granddaughters .... after reading all these reviews I"m a little worried that it wont be worth the money I spent.... and yes, the parking is a little steep for what we are already paying for the tickets.... It should be if you have a train ticket... you should park free! No price gouging for parking or pictures. Just a suggestion.... It should be a happy experience for everyone!

4  Thank shars
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Good experience but I would have liked if the trick or treat part was done on the train rather than on the platform after the trip was over

Good morning!

We are deeply disappointed that you didn't enjoy your experience on the Trick or Treat Excursion! We thought we had a great idea with Trick or Treating around the train station, as it is very safe and convenient. Would you be willing to come back and give us another shot? Are you interested in any of our other excursions, like the North Pole Express or East Bunny Express? Please call me so that I can set it up for you! Susan, Manager of Customer Service, New Hope & Ivyland Railroad 215-862-2332 x860

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Last year I tried to get tickets for the Halloween Train Ride and they were sold out so this year I rushed to get tickets figuring that if they sell out so quickly, it must be an event well worth attending. Wrong!!! I bought the tickets for my son (who is a young adult) for a birthday gift since he loves Halloween so much and loves a good scare but it turned out making me feel bad about my gift choice, not only that I spent so much hard earned money but that I bought something so lame and disappointing for him and the people that went with him. We started reading the reviews a few nights ago and I realized that this purchase was obviously a mistake but, since I spent $200 on tickets, my son, daughter and their friends took the hour ride to the railroad. It was everything that the reviews said it was...very disappointing and a total waste of a lot of money! My daughter gave me a detailed description of the ride and felt bad that I spent the money I did. According to her, the ride was 12 minutes each way, 6 minutes with lights on and 6 minutes with the lights off, each way. Actors were running up and down the isle screaming...at least in one part of the train. Thankfully, they never made it to their section of the train...just a bunch of obnoxious screaming is not what my kids were looking for. They rushed through dinner at a local restaurant and said they should have taken their time eating and ditched the train ride. Nothing scary about this train ride. It is a shame that the public is being taken advantage of with these outrageous prices for the disappointment they are getting. You would think that with ALL of these negative reviews that management would do something to better the experience but, apparently not. My kids said that getting off the train everyone was complaining!

3  Thank Venture21762

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Ten of us do a haunted hay ride, or other attraction annually. We love that kind of thing... We decided to try this 'Haunted Train Ride' thinking it sounded like something 'different' and 'interesting. Holy COW were we WRONG!! Our group WASTED about $450.00 on tickets, plus a downright THEFT of an additional $40.00 to PARK two cars for one of the most BORING hours we've ever spent. Do the math... We wasted almost $500.00. We've never felt so CHEATED in our lives.
Four or Five high school kids put some scary makeup on, and walked around a train, 'trying' to 'look' scary, while a fog machine filled the train with a mist.
If I thought we had a chance at being successful, we'd DEMAND our money back. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!! Heed my advice: Go out to a great dinner, then sit outside on Halloween, and watch the kids who get dressed up. You'll be MUCH happier, wealthier, and I guarantee, you'll be more entertained. We were ALL so incredibly DISAPPOINTED!!!

3  Thank Bob B

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My sister and I went on the haunted train ride. The staff were super. Their was so much energy or fun for all. We had alot of scares and a lot of laughs. I can't wait to another train ride soon. The gift shop at the railroad station was awesome. The workers were nice and kept going into the stock room to help us find what we wanted.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Went on the haunted train ride. It was just okay for a half an hour on an old train but honestly I don’t think it’s worth $50 per person. They could add more effects or something to make it worth $50. Plus you have to pay $20 for parking for the whole day even if you are only going to be there for the train ride. The haunted train ride would be just okay as an added thing to do in October if you are spending the day in New Hope.

Customer Servic e, Manager at New Hope & Ivyland Railroad, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Good morning! Thank you for your feedback about our Haunted Halloween excursion, and for your kind words about our staff. We feel terrible that you didn't enjoy this excursion. Would you be open to coming back and experiencing another excursion with us? Please call me, at your convenience, and I can make that happen. We have lots of other excursions coming up, including the North Pole Express. Would you be interested in that excursion, or perhaps something in 2019? Susan, Manager of Customer Service 215-862-2332 x860

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

A haunted train ride sounds like an amazing premise but for the New Hope attraction it ends there. The event is total profiteering at best and the ride is only about 20 minutes long. It starts off with a decent 1 minute maze to get into the train. From there you sit down and the crew takes 10 minutes taking your overpriced drink order and then the train starts moving. This is where you believe things are going to start getting good, the lights turn out and then you start getting immersed with fake fog. The train goes down the track for 10 minutes and then actors start coming out screaming and walking up and down the isle. That’s its folks! You don’t move down the tracks anymore, there are no attractions to be seen outside, no scares coming from anywhere. I read other reviews about a storyline about a train robbery but that did not happen during our experience. After the 10 minute scream fest (by the actors) the train starts heading back and the lights came back on. At this point you think it’s all a ruse and it will stop and something else will happen but it doesn’t. You’re heading back the station and all you have is your friends staring at you in disbelief that you asked them to join you and paid $50.00 dollars for it each, plus parking. This has so much potential but it was just poorly thought out and executed, please don’t waste your money.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Out $106 dollars - this was the biggest scam!!! Total BS - just sat on a train for 20 minutes in smoke ? Still waiting for the entertainment- utter crap!

1  Thank Amy A

Good morning! We can't apologize enough for your bad experience here at the New Hope & Ivyland Railroad. This years theme, the Undead Bootleggers Express, is something that we thought was fun and innovative. We have the unique ability to incorporate the railroad into the experience. That being said, are you open to coming back and seeing us again sometime? We'd love to bring you back for either the North Pole Express or perhaps an excursion in 2019? We have lots of other excursions in store for the new year and we hope you'll come back. Call me and I can make it happen. Susan, Manager of Customer Service 215-862-2332