“disappointed”

New Hope & Ivyland Railroad
Ranked #5 of 29 things to do in New Hope
More attraction details
Owner description: A scenic train ride through the Pennsylvania countryside.
Tioga, Pennsylvania
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“disappointed”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I scheduled a ride in the cab of a steam locomotive as a surprise for my husband's birthday (Saturday, June 8). Drove 4.5 hours to the attraction. When we arrived, we were told that the steam engine wasn't operating that day (it was broken...however, had operated the weekend before). We asked about the following day (Sunday) and were told that it would not be operating then either. I rated this attraction 2 (instead of 0), only because they tried to make up for this by giving us a free photo on the wine and cheese ride that evening. They also promised us a refund, but we shall see. We probably spent more on gas than the refund anyway. I will never visit this tourist railroad again and (obviously) never schedule a cab ride again. Too bad!

Visited June 2013
2 Thank ga_flatlander

Lambertville, New Jersey, United States
136 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 91 helpful votes
“45 Minutes to see trees”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Rip off#1 is parking at $20/car (though valid for all day-walk around town afterwards for a few hours---best part of this whole affair), Rip off#2 the ride in first class costs $26pp that gives you a seat at a table (instead of the coach car-standard bench seating for $19pp, or if you really love the smell of train smoke and get covered it soot...ride the open air car for $25pp), but guess what?? First class includes a free soft drink!! Beer and pretzels can be purchased. [as a footnote....DO NOT BUY TICKETS ONLINE IN ADVANCE...they will add a convenience fee which is really not necessary...buy your tickets at the train station window] Rip off#3, the train only goes as far as Lahaska (approx 6 miles) and then comes back the same way all in just 45 minutes!! And that's it folks.....just enough time to down your soda! Rip off#4 as far as the sights....lots of trees, a few neat back yards, and then lots of junk along the tracks.

Now in fairness, kids aged 4-8 will find some fun in this adventure...being on a train is pretty neat to a little kid (I remember when I was little too)...once you turn 9, this will be considered one of the great tortures of the 21st century!!! 45 minutes you will NEVER get back....be forewarned.

Visited May 2013
6 Thank Thom W
Philadelphia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Kind of disappointed”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

We took our 3-year old on the Easter Bunny Express. When I purchased the tickets I definitely felt this was a very pricey attraction but I was willing to pay it because I figured the money helps preserve the historic railroad (which I do still believe it does). What I was annoyed by on this trip was the attitude of the staff. You don't really get a whole lot for your money (a fairly short train ride and a very quick visit from the bunny who hands out some little plastic toys) so the staff can really make or break the experience. If they had put in some extra effort I think it could make up for the expensive ticket. But in our case it was the latter. What bugged my husband and I the most is that when we went to let our daughter hand the "train ticket taker" her ticket on her own, he made a grumbling fuss about needing to "move things along" and wanted to punch them all at once, which he did. I was a regular commuter train rider back in the day and I understand them having to move through the cars quickly before people got off for their stops but this was supposed to be a leisurely ride designed for kids!! My daughter would have gotten a kick out of handing her ticket and getting it punched on her own. I told my husband that perhaps it was just part of the "act" because I could tell he was annoyed and didn't want our trip to be ruined early on, but I'm most certain it was not an act. It's a small thing but it put a damper on our time considering how much we had paid for this "experience."

Visited March 2013
4 Thank Getzyduo
Buenos Aires, Argentina
53 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“Desperately Overpriced.”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

We took my preschooler on the Easter Bunny Express ride. The ride itself was cute and it was a neat idea, but the ride itself was very overpriced. The ride is very short and the entire visit with the bunny is very rushed. I thought it was a little strange they have the kids stand up next to the Easter bunny (he doesn't stabilize them at all, despite being on a moving train when they take the photo...) At the end of the train ride, they offered a photo of my daughter for $!5 where she wasn't even looking at the camera. Um, no thanks. They gave her a little goodie bag which was cute and she enjoyed. It was quite cold the day we went for the ride and there was nowhere to sit inside. We got there just as the train was leaving, so we decided to grab some lunch. My "grilled cheese" was a rubbery piece of cheese on two pieces of Wonderbread- this sandwich hadn't been microwaved, nonetheless grilled. It was pretty awful for a very uncomplicated sandwich. They also have things on the menu that they do not sell (for example root beer). There is a super tiny carousel on the platform that only works on one side. Everything just has a rundown feeling and needs to be updated, badly. In the meantime, prices needed to be driven down. Maybe go once if your kid is just itching to go on a train ride, but otherwise, I really would not recommend it.

Visited March 2013
2 Thank worldwidewyatt
Lambertville, New Jersey
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“It's all right, a bit overpriced”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

My 3 year old son had a blast. I won't deny that. But as an adult, there really isn't much to this train and definitely not worth the extortion like prices they charge.

Visited August 2012