All reviewsscallopsno credit cardslike stepping back in timemy wife and icharming atmospherespecial placebyobentreestriofireplacelodging
Reviewed March 17, 2017

Dining here is like stepping back in time. A candle-lit warm feeling Inn, complete with various small dining rooms, many with fireplaces; old French posters on the walls and on our visit, icicles hanging from the windows overlooking the patio. It is an overall visual experience that shouldn’t be missed, with a 4 to 5 star rating for atmosphere.

The food, on the other hand, although nicely presented and good, was just that – just good. Nothing was overly inspired or had you wanting to try the next bite. A Trio of Smoked Seafood was somewhat on the dry side and the Terrine of the House (a pate) needed a good amount of salt to bring out its flavor. The Special entrée of the night was Calves Liver - Lyonnais style (confit onions and roasted garlic). It was good but nothing special. The Pan Seared Scallops became more enjoyable as you ate them but overall again were just good. The roasted vegetable sides, on the other hand, were very good, crisp and well seasoned.

So should you go – yes. In the winter, with the fireplaces going, it’s a total “feeling”. Other times of the year, with the gardens, etc. in bloom, the feeling is different but just as enjoyable. Is it a “Foodie” destination? – in our opinion - no.

With tax & tip the bill was around $115.00 (Remember –its Cash Only & an BYO.)

Stayed: March 2017, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jimrad
Reviewed March 2, 2017 via mobile

My husband and I with our dear friends had dinner on Sunday night at the Inn at Phillips Mill. The food was fantastic! Three of us started with the special salad and one had the rabbit special. Simply devine! I split the incredibly tasty Veal special and Coquille St Jacques with my girlfriend. The guys had rack of Lamb and the Cod. All of our entrees were so delicious and perfectly prepared. Two of us indulged in dessert which I'm glad we did. The mousse was so light and fluffy and the creme brulee was awesome! Fabulous attentive service and very comfortable seating (especially after the table next to us finished up). We will return very soon!

Stayed: February 2017, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 18, 2016

We have been to the Inn at Phillips Mill twice, and both experiences have been excellent. The Inn itself is quaint and very well kept, the food was excellent with a good variety of choices, and our service was excellent as well. Absolutely no complaints, and we will be returning. A few tips for first time guests: 1) You could pass it, especially in the dark, as it is quite understated on the outside... trust your GPS! 2) It is a BYOB, which we always enjoy, and 3) no credit cards as of this writing.

Stayed: December 2016, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 13, 2016

We stayed here twice and dined here once. Our first visit was a stay in the main house which is an 18th century stone barn. It's a very old property that is quaint, charming, and romantic. It lacks the amenities like toiletries, hair dryer, iron, TV, telephone, WiFi, etc. However, considering the cost of a stay, the value is outstanding. I don't mind tossing my hair dryer and some travel items in my suit case to supplement what they don't offer. It was our decision to leave the technology behind and just relax and commune nature in the beautiful surroundings. Of course, we never leave home without a cell phone, so keeping in touch and navigating was no problem.

Our second visit was a stay in the cottage. As with our first stay, the room was cozy and romantic. It is a two story cottage, equipped with a refrigerator, shower stall, fireplace, and double bed upstairs. It is dimly lit with low wattage bulbs and probably needs a little maintenance. However, none of this detracted from our weekend getaway.

We dined here on our first visit. The service and ambiance were great. The food was also delicious and reasonably priced. It is BYOB and cash only. Lodging requires prepayment by personal check. For an technology specialist, you'd think I'd be put off by the lack of it but instead, it was a great way to relax and unwind.

Room Tip: Pack your hair dryer, shampoo, favorite bottle (if dining), cash (since they don't accept credit cards), and of course your cell phone.
  • Stayed: September 2016, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 5, 2016 via mobile

Can I say that I adore this place and its setting? It's just 1 1/2 miles out of town, but it's a world away from the busy-ness of the town of New Hope. It was such a treat to go into New Hope & be able to retreat to the tranquility of the Inn at Phillips Mill. If you like historic places and architecture, with a little vintage quirk here and there, you will love this place as well! Period furnishings & sweet, rustic decor are throughout both the inn and restaurant. There's great attention to detail, & someone must have been a seamstress with the vintage curtains & tablecloths adorning the inn & restaurant. If you are looking for contemporary & perfection with a slew of amenities, you will be disappointed.
I must admit that although we liked the spaciousness of our room (#5) & some of its special features, the bathroom and some other areas (grounds) need a little TLC. Owning an older property, we understand the amount & cost of upkeep that's required to maintain a property of this age. While it was definetly clean, the bathroom needs to be updated & could command a higher price once renovated. I'd love to volunteer to do a work weekend there in exchange for a weekends lodging sometime. That's how much I appreciate the age, history & beauty of this particular inn. While towels & soap are provided, you must bring your other toiletries as none are provided. I think offering a few of those amenities-toiletries, new towels, bottled water, newspaper, marketing the restaurant's menu- could up their game, reputation & price point. And the staff couldn't have been more gracious during our visit.

With regard to the restaurant, it's some of the best offerings we've had in sometime. We live in Annapolis & have a wide variety of artisanal food options. In fact, another restaurant owner (Duck Soup) told us that this was their favorite restaurant! We invited guests & sampled each other's entrees-all excellently prepared (lamb, tuna, scallops & beef tenderloin). Some reviewers have noted some wait time for courses or plate clearing, but honestly, to me it felt very European style, which I appreciated. I hurry daily and this was a special getaway to connect with dear friends-we loved the unrushed atmosphere and ambiance. Remember to BYOB & cash--much of the New Hope area is cash only.

Stayed: September 2016, traveled with friends