All reviewsscallopsno credit cardslike stepping back in timemy wife and icharming atmospherespecial placebyobentreestriofireplacelodging
Reviewed April 12, 2016

While the restaurant experience was O.K. (see my review) the room #5 was something out of the 60's era. Double bed, no bathroom amenities, iron hangers (most bent), tepid shower water, mold on grout in shower, bleach spots on towels, no face cloths or hand towels. No Wi-Fi. No TV. I could go on. Management needs to decide if they are in the hospitality business and address the rooms.

• Stayed: April 2016, traveled on business
4  Thank xinnkeeper
Reviewed March 1, 2016

Have been passing this complex of small stone building for years on the way south via 32 to the center of New Hope but never realized a restaurant existed there. This quaint 18th century complex invites curiosity and during the warmer months the ivy covered buildings scream "Come See Us". Easily over looked because of poor signage the restaurant is located on the 90 deg. turn in Rt. 32 and has parking both on the side and across the street. Enter through the front door and you're greeted by a soft-lit candles atop wooden tables which give off a warmth that invites in further. We were cheerfully greeted by our server Alex who proved to be wonderfully attentive and knowledgeable. He sat us by the French doors that open to the garden in the back and near a huge fireplace (they have at least two). The seating was comfortable and the place was quiet (Sunday evening. The menu was tremendous, offering everything from Trio de Poissons Fume - smoked fish appetizer ($14.00 and delicious) to Blanc de Poulet Dijonaise - European cut Chicken breast in mustard sauce ($18.00). Alex rattled off about 15 special entrees and appetizers so we picked their potato soup with pepper and bacon (light and tasty) and the Chicken pate w peppercorn (could have has 2 of them). Corking service (it’s a BYOB but no charge for corking) was prompt and courteous). As we sipped our wines we reviewed the entrees choosing, after much discussion, the Filet de Boeuf in porcini mushroom sauce (Delicious and possibly the best mignon I've had anywhere $29.00), the Medaillons de Veau Nicoise ($28.00) that were melt-in-your-mouth good), and the Blanc de Poulet Dijonnaise (at $18.00 was moist, tender, and flavourful). All entrees were accompanied by fresh vegetables including sautéed string beans, scalloped potatoes, beets, sauerkraut, and sautéed carrots. The bread was fabulous and we took some of that home with us as there wasn't nothing left from any of the entrees. We followed up with coffee (very good) and pear/raspberry crumble (could have been better). Over all, it was a romantic evening with great service, and superior French cuisine that anybody would like. Anxious to return. Thanks Alex, Head Chef Rick Rohal and Chef Roberto Keyes. I know some are reticent about a French restaurant but I can assure you that this place will change your mind

Stayed: February 2016
Reviewed October 26, 2015 via mobile

My wife and I have traveled to New Hope numerous times over the last twenty years. We have stayed in a number of B&B's in the area including this one.

Wanting to take her some place special for our brief adventure I called the B&B that remained foremost in my mind. I remembered that they had one cottage in addition to a few rooms in the main building. It was available so I took it.

To say this place is in a good way ab under statement. Don't know when it was built but would easily believe late 1700's.

It was wonderful! Just what we needed. Cottage has two floors, the second is a loft like bedroom and the first a large lining room with a large fireplace, small kitchen and bath. ( see photos ) the floor is some sort of slate with radiant floor heat which is great. We discovered that setting it to 66 is plenty. Great place, wonderful time. Also see our restaurant review.

Stayed: October 2015, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SRPFamily
Reviewed October 20, 2015 via mobile

Food is outstanding as is ambience. Ask for terrace in Spring, Summer and Fall and fireplace table in winter. Often overcrowded on on weekends, early time reservations are best. At times the waitresses seem overburdened and a little slow; however, the wait is worth it.

Stayed: October 2015, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 8, 2015

I have to admit that after reading numerous bad reviews I went expecting the worst. But, from the moment we arrived to when we left, we experienced nothing but friendly hospitality. We were in room 5, with a large sitting room, complete with two reading chairs, and a table with 2 chairs, perfect for playing games or enjoying breakfast. Our suite had a "modern" bathroom, probably modern in the 1970's. But it was clean and nicely decorated. The mattress was comfortable, and there was plenty of natural light. We had dinner in the restaurant and experienced good service and delicious food. The pace was leisurely, and we were pleased that we experienced the ambiance from dusk to dark. The outside patio is beautifully lit with candles. We were seated in the terrace room, with large glass paned doors open to the patio - the best of both worlds, both inside and outside. In the morning breakfast was delivered to our door (we were also given the option of eating outside). A large basket with 2 warm and crusty croissants, butter and orange marmalade, and a large pot of coffee. After breakfast we walked a short distance to the canal path and enjoyed a short walk to New Hope. We felt pampered and relaxed as my husband and I celebrated our 31st anniversary. While the atmosphere may not be for everyone, we enjoyed the lack of tv and wifi and appreciated the opportunity to turn off our hectic lives. There is also a cute little gift shop on site.

Room Tip: Two bedrooms also have sitting rooms, a little more expensive, but well worth it.
  • Stayed: September 2015, traveled as a couple