“Not a bad place!”

Hollander Motel
Hollander Motel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in New Holland
Reviewed July 3, 2014 via mobile

It may be a little outdated, but this motel has what you need. This was my second time staying here and I would stay again if I come back. The beds are comfortable. You get a fridge and microwave in your room. The staff is very friendly. Not the most elaborate place to stay, but I would definitely stay again.

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Jennifer S

Reviewed February 27, 2014

It frustrates me when people complain about a place when they aren't prepared to spend more to stay somewhere else. Rooms were clean and we had everything we needed - a bed, somewhere to park our hire car, warmth, a TV and microwave. We were even offered more blankets without asking in case we were cold. The manager, Chuck, was one of the friendliest people we met on our trip to America. He was incredibly dedicated to customers and happy to help, including with the heater and internet, and told us things we could find in town with a smile even at 11pm at night. I can't remember the name of the lady who worked there and cleaned the rooms but she was also kind, helpful, and friendly. As two 23yo ladies on a budget, this place met our needs and we felt very welcomed after being far from family and a bit lost in a new country. No, it's not a flashy hotel, but you're in a small town and not paying a huge amount. The only thing I'd suggest to the owners is perhaps providing cutlery/plates - we bought ingredients for nachos to make in the microwave and had to use our mugs purchased from DisneyWorld as plates haha!! Lovely town, staff and we'd return to the Hollander.

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

The best thing about this place was the manager, and for his sake I wish I could say something positive about the place. Oh, wait--plenty of hot water and an iron tub that held the heat, for a nice bath. In addition, this is what we experienced.

On entry, very musty smell. Cold room, then too hot. The heater thermostat wasn't working properly, and to get the room hot enough, we had to turn it to a temperature that was too hot through the night snd left us with swollen, dried out sinuses the next morning. The overhead heat and the general heat in the bathroom didn't work; they were taped off. The only way to get heat in the bathroom was to leave the door open. The weather was very cold and windy; wind blew in under the door, which was not sealed.

My husband said his bed was not comfortable; the bed linens didn't seem fresh--not dirty, just musty and stale. Bath linens were thin.

Another family member had a room there, too. They had heat issues as well, and their shower would not drain properly.

The whole outfit needs updating badly.

I honestly don't like giving poor reviews, but The Hollander was far below a reasonable standard of comfort, in my opinion.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Traveling4Adventure
Reviewed September 14, 2013

The motel is dirty, smelly, rundown and the air conditioner is dirty. We booked 2 rooms. One for us and the other for our elderly aunt. Pillow cases in our room were dirty and looked unchanged. Pillow case in our aunt's room had noticeable blood stain. When this was gently highlighted to the owner/manager, she said "it can't be dirty, I cleaned it myself. I'll investigate it." and walked away from us. There was not even an apology. On looking at the prices, this turned out to be more expensive than other better motels nearby. Just making money by giving the impression that it is Amish owned - see their business card. Real dump. Drive on, stay elsewhere and save money and trouble.

Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank Nathan S
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Don't believe the friends and family reviews this place is a dump. I don't mind an older hotel but this place has not been maintained. The sign out front says clean and cozy rooms ... Wrong on both counts. The place is in such bad shape I can't believe the board of health let's it stay open. There are holes in the walls that aren't patched cracks in the tile, tub sinks and walls in the bathroom. The light over the sink is bare bulbs screwed into a rusty fixture. The only thing that I can say positive is that the beds were pretty comfortable. The problem though is that the bedding is old and gross. Don't stay here I don't care how cheap it is you're better sleeping in the car.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank JKirk00
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Kind of outdated motel. We loved the way of parking in front of our room, but the rooms were very outdated, although management tried their best. The bed was too old I think. Breakfast was almost non existant. We took a coffee and left. Wifi only available while sitting on a particular spot on the bench in front of the room. Oh well...It was cheap...and we booked this place because most other motels/hotels were already booked when we arrived in this region.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Older motel, but clean and well kept. Staff was very friendly and accommodating . We would stay again, next time we go to Lancaster. Only bad thing was the continental breakfast wasn't available until 8:00 am on Sundays, and we were leaving early to beat the traffic.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
AmishView Inn & Suites
AmishView Inn & Suites
#1 of 3 in Bird in Hand
Comfort Inn of Lancaster County North

Been to Hollander Motel? Share your experiences!