“Mostly great”

Best Western Plus New Cumberland Inn & Suites
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in New Cumberland
Reviewed July 16, 2012

We stayed two weekdays and two weekend days.

Cleanliness: The hotel is very clean and neat and well-cared for. The rooms were meticulous, and the breakfast area was kept up on weekdays. During the weekend breakfast time, the staff seemed a little thin for the size of the crowd. The gym was clean, the pool was clean and stocked with clean pool towels.

Location: Very centrally located. We spent time in Carlisle, Harrisburg, and York for dinner, visiting, and househunting, and we were able to get to any location within a half hour. If you're just coming from the airport and staying for stuff nearby, it's wonderful, but if you are going to be using other places in the region, it's very convenient. We didn't travel to Hershey, though it still seemed to be within a half hour, too. The hotel is right off I-83, just near the junction with the turnpike. There's construction going on at that part of I-83, but it's carried out mostly on weekends and after hours, and the roads are still fully accessible.

Staff: The breakfast staff is a little swamped, but capable. The weekday desk guy is a dream. The staff that serves the room were fantastic. Overall staffing seemed a bit slim. Some problems with couples checking out and needing special attention resulted in a half-hour backup and a super long line at the front desk.

Rooms: We had two two-queen rooms for a family of five. The rooms have large refrigerators, updated bathrooms, and very comfortable beds. With the window unit running, you don't hear the interstate. We didn't hear noise between the walls. There's a smell of cigarettes in the third floor hallway, but that never carried into the rooms.

I would stay here again, unquestionably.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank KatieInContinuance

Reviewed June 22, 2012

Our king suite was great. Bed was comfortable, liked the larger refrig. The mob of little soccer players running around.....not so great. The pool was full Friday night due to the soccer families attenance and then the pool was closed the rest of the weekend due to a kid pooping in it. We didn't bother getting breakfast on Sat. morning due to overcrowding but early Sunday and Monday was yummy. I think they needed more staff to keep up with this volume. So check the tournament schedule before you go, otherwise we were satisfied.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 18, 2012

The room was comfortable and clean, the breakfast was delicious--mini Belgian waffles, scrambled eggs, and sausage! And the staff was friendly. Yes, there's traffic noise, but turn the AC and bathroom light on, and the truck noise disappears. It's a decent hotel for a decent price!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 11, 2012

A comfortable, clean hotel with friendly staff, nice pool, decent breakfast, and good wi-fi. Every time I travel to the state capital, this is where I stay. It's a good value for the money.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 21, 2012

Thank GOD it was clean because the cluster F that we had regarding our room situation was almost unforgiveable. My husband, two kids and mother stayed here this weekend for a cousins' wedding. We called ahead for early check in and were told that we would definitely be able to get one of those rooms and most likely both. Check in was at 3pm. We arrived a little after two and one of the rooms was ready. It was nice - clean and spacious. The other room, I was told, would be ready shortly and I get a call when it was. We had to leave at 3:30pm for the wedding. Still no room. When we came home from the wedding after 11pm, STILL no room. My husband waited at the desk while I ran up to change. He was told he would be in a room on the 1st floor. When he went it with the kids, there were still people in this room - who apparently refused to leave!!! They were re-routed to a room on the third floor after incredible confusion as my two year old nearly melted into a puddle in the lobby. The guy at the desk graciously reduced our rates the next day. I'm going to remember just to refuse to leave the next time a hotel tells me they don't have a room for me......????

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Travis S, General Manager at Best Western Plus New Cumberland Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our New Cumberland property. On behalf of the Best Western Plus staff I want to apologize for the inconvienence you experienced while staying at our Hotel. Here at the Best Western Plus, we strive to be the very best in customer service and it's unfortunate that we failed to do so in this particular instance. Again, we apologize and hopefully you can allow us to make it up to you in the future.

Reviewed May 1, 2012

Stayed here recently due to travels asscociated with work and although the hotel appears to be new or newly renovated there is really nothing to write home about here. The minute I arrived I was greeted by a young woman at the desk who was typing and without a glance asked for my last name and no other greeting. I gave her my info and was given everything I needed in more of a required procedural fashion rather than a pleasant welcoming one. The room itself was laid out fairly nice and was newly renovated like the rest of the hotel. However everything felt very cheap and the bed was too firm and pretty uncomfortable. I can't really comment on the rest of the hotel because I never took advantage of the free breakfast, pool or free beer they offered on Wednesdays. I only stayed here a couple of nights and pretty much just made use of the room. Upon check out there was a young male working the desk who greeted me in a buddy fashion rather than a greeting one. I understand I'm a younger male but as a paying guest I don't want to be asked; "What's your room number dude" as I leave. No other comments were made besides asking for a signature.

Unfortunately New Cumberland is kind of a bland area with not a lot of offerings lodging wise. I had to stay here due to my travel per diem requirements and I would avoid this area and stay in Harrisburg proper if I was traveling personally. If you are traveling to PA to see the sites then I highly recommend staying on the Harrisburg side of the river. Prices are bit higher but there are many more and nicer options available.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write a response for our New Cumberland property. On behalf of the Best Western Plus staff I want to apologize for the situation that occured during your stay. We strive to have superior customer service skills and try to personalize every guests stay with us to show a sense of hospitality. Again, we apologize and hope to see you again when your in the area.

Reviewed April 17, 2012

This hotel had it all. I was here on business and was overwhelmed by the service and quality that I was provided. At check in, I was greeted with a welcome basket. The room I stayed in was very clean and had a separate sitting area for me to do my work. On Wednesday they had a happy hour with complimentary beer and snacks. The breakfast was a hot breakfast with eggs and sausage patties. I would recommend this hotel to anyone coming to the area for work or leisure. It is located right off of the highway and within minutes to Harrisburg downtown.

Room Tip: The King Suite room I stayed in was excellent.