“Granted, I was not there for the food”
Review of Coakley's Restaurant & Pub - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Coakley's Restaurant & Pub
Cuisines: American, Irish
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Americana and Irish Cuisine in a casual dining atmosphere or a pub environment. Wide variety menu with daily chef's specials and regular nightly offerings. Great night life/bar atmosphere, with our main bar, game room and J. Thomas O'malley, Tobacconist, smoking and cigar bar. Outdoor seating in the summer
Reviewed March 14, 2013

But great drinks, great bartenders, nice, homey atmosphere and some nice Guiness and Jameson's always hits the spot... OK, maybe not so much Jameson, but Guiness for sure!

Reviewed February 1, 2013

Coakley's is one of the mainstay restaurants in New Cumberland. The various rooms are very interesting to sit in -- warming atmosphere and fun to look around. The food is of very high quality, basic American food and a great menu. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone visiting the greater Harrisburg area.

Reviewed January 14, 2013

It doesn't matter what you eat the cheesy crab dip on......it's delicious! I eat it on the soft pretzel, dip the bread in it, scoop it up with the home made chips and even have it put on a juicy chicken breast. My favorite place to eat is it in the room with the fireplace. It is such a relaxing environment. All of the other people complaining on here about the food choice they made.....all I can say is they had just made the wrong choice. This place is definately worth trying......even with the bumpy ride down Bridge Street. Now that's something to complain about. I can't forget the awesome service that Sharon gave to me and nearby patrons.

Reviewed December 23, 2012

My kids go to Coakley's on a regular basis and have always had a good time, so the wife and I decided to check them out. The building is divided into two halves, as the name implies; bar on one side, restaurant on the other. We sat in the restaurant side and found it cozy and intimate. The crab dip included real lumps of crab meat and was the perfect start to our meal.. The pub is not too big and doesn't have the Celtic feel I expected it to have. Still the overall experience was enjoyable and we will definitely go again!

Reviewed December 14, 2012

I'd gone to Coakley's at least 10 times in the past ten years. The place is a bit pricey, but it has great atmosphere, so my wife and I make our visits special, about once a year. Well... I'm afraid, tonight was the last time.

The good:

- Atmosphere, it has a feel of an authentic Irish pub
- Very friendly staff/waitresses
- They got rid of the energy saving light bulbs that burned holes in our retinae last year, back to normal subtle lighting
- Exquisite black-and-tan beer, skillfully separated in the glass
- Booze in general. Kind of hard to mess that up.
- Bar food is crispy, hot, tasty

The bad:

- FOOD i.e. entrees. I have no idea what happened to the food quality in this place, and why. One thing for sure, it's:
- Bland
- Soggy
- Expensive

Utterly disgusting pasta dishes, especially seafood cappellini. Pasta is soggy, lacking flavor altogether. I have no idea whether their chef lacks sense of taste, or whether he/she realizes that it's important to taste the crap you make after it's finished.

Fish... Tasteless, flaky stuff fried in batter. My wife was so disappointed that she had to ask for a bottle of malt vinegar to spice up her fish sandwich. Afterwards she told me that fast food restaurant would've provided a better (and 3 times cheaper) sandwich than that.

With the tip, we spent close to $60 which included one diet soda and two beers.

I'm afraid we are not coming back.

Tim H, Owner at Coakley's Restaurant & Pub, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2013

Thank you for letting us know when we are not meeting expectations. I am glad the service and atmosphere was good, hopefully the lightbulb change helped. The lightbulbs were part of a short term experiment that was thrown out fairly quickly.

My larger concern was your issue with the food. In the fall we made a management change which immediately lead to a huge upgrade in food quality. There were many personnel changes to follow as well. All of which was specifically intended to better our food quality and our offerings in general.

Kevin is our General Manager. He asked that you inform him if you decide to come back so that he may personally address the issues you brought up. The restaurant's number is 774-5556. We look forward to the opportunity to reverse your opinion!