“Innovative cuisine masterfully prepared in a comfortable setting.”

The Garlic Poet Restaurant & Bar
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Drinks, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Pennsylvania
“Innovative cuisine masterfully prepared in a comfortable setting.”
Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

Harrisburg's newest gastropub is a breath of fresh air compared to the usual wings and suds that most bars along the I83 corridor serve. This place is taking bar food and elevating it to something special. You can taste the love and attention to detail that is put into these unique dishes. Bold combinations and subtle nuances, this place has it all.The food is beautifully presented and constructed with artful intent while being accessible to the average Joe. It's elegant and unpretentious. My eight year old daughter loves it. Interesting cocktails and a great beer selection will keep me coming.I started my meal with the surf and turf appetizer. The sear on the scallops was perfect and the pork belly was delicious. The sauce was wonderful. My mom had the grilled date salad which was unique and equally delicious. I tried the Quebec fries with short ribs and cheese curd that my fiancee ordered and knew I wanted the short ribs as my main course. The braised ribs had a balanced combination of flavors and textures that blew me away. The meat was tender and seasoned to perfection. My fiancee had the chicken and dumplings which I'm at a loss describing.Think Lancaster county homestyle cooking meets Asian fusion meets French cuisine. If your Pennsylvania Dutch aunt was college roommates with Julia Child and they went on a tour of Japan, this is the dish that they would create. Sous-vide anyone? Dessert was a fantastic creme burlee with apricots. Service from Benjamin was impeccable, decor was hip and comfotable and the food in this place is the star. Get a table before the secret is out.

• Visited July 2013

Naples, Florida
“WOWWWWWW!”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Quick review.... this restaurant is located two hours away. We found it by accident while my husband was in Harrisburg taking an exam for a counseling license (he passed:-)). Anyway, all that I can say is -- we have found a destination and will visit again, mainly to eat at this place. We have high expectations for restaurants and this one exceeded them all. From beautiful decor, to friendly, helpful, thoough staff, to amazing craft beer (on tap) selections, to fresh warm bread with garlic infused butter, to homemade cheeses, to the most delicious braised short ribs, and finally, warm bread pudding. I mean REALLY!! REALLY!! REALLY!! fantastic!!!! WE WILL BE BACK sooner rather than later. Do not miss this place. It is a TRUE GEM!

• Visited May 2013
Vestal, NY
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent meal and very good value for money”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

What a find! We originally went to the hotel restaurant because we were too tired to go elsewhere and ww ended up eating there all three nights of our stay. "Beej" was our waiter and was both informed and informative. The chef is creative and each meal was an interesting and tasty experience. Calamari was excellent, soups fantastic and entrees delicious. The ability to limit your portion size is also welcome (although the "smalls" are still ample). On our first night, my wife and I opted for a $40 combination that brought us soup, a shared appetizer (nearly a dozen Buffalo wings) and two "small" entrees. Everything is made on premises. We will go back again whenever the opportunity presents itself.

• Visited July 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nice place”
Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

Good place for a beer and sandwich. Expect micro brews on tap and a trendy menu. Don't expect to leave here without paying a few bucks but the food does reflect the pricing in most cases, ie..you'll get what you paid for.

• Visited June 2013
Sterling, Connecticut
“Mmmm cheese!”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I visited the Garlic Poet for dinner shortly after they opened. It's located in a hotel and from the outside doesn't look like much... but the inside is a different story! It's cozy with different rooms and different table setups. We had cheese fries for an appetizer, which is served fondue style. Delicious! I had an adult grilled cheese for dinner and it was also delicious. We checked in on 4square to receive free desserts. Service was also very good, especially considering the restaurant was very new. I will definitely be returning on my next trip to the area!

• Visited March 2013