“An Exciting New Restaurant to Try!”

The Garlic Poet Restaurant & Bar
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Carlisle, Pennsylvania
“An Exciting New Restaurant to Try!”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

My husband and I had a memorable Valentine's Day meal at the new Garlic Poet -- absolutely fantastic meal, excellent wines, and great service. We've been there twice and are adding this to our list of Friday night regular stops. The new ownership, menu, wine list, and staff are a great new adventure in local dining with casual atmosphere in this area.

• Visited February 2013

Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Cozy casual dining for locals or those just passing thru”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

My fiance and I recently attended a wedding show at the hotel adjacent to the Garlic Poet. We decided to stop in for a drink and an appetizer. The cozy atmosphere, friendly staff, and the delicious calamari (with 2 dipping sauces!) inspired us to stay for dinner. The array of unique selections on the menu made for a tough decision. There were many intriguing items that you don't often see at such an affordable price point. The serving staff offered their personal recommendations to help us in our decision. I ended up deciding on the grilled cheese with short ribs and a hearty tomato bisque, a yummy twist on the American classic. My fiance ordered the braised short rib sandwich and was very happy with his choice. My only regret was not leaving room for dessert. Next time, the cupcake sampler is MINE!

• Visited February 2013
“Diamond in the rough.”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

From travel to major cities of east coast through mid Atlantic, the best meal of 2013. Very friendly staff and impressive menue.

“A Wonderful Dining Experience!”
Reviewed February 9, 2013

My husband and I live very close to Garlic Poet. We have always loved the venue, but went once to the Copper Cup and never went back. When we saw that there was a new restaurant opening in the space, we decided to give it a try.

Inside, there are some changes, but the atmosphere has not changed dramatically from when it was E&C.

Garlic Poet has a good selection of semi-local beers on draft as well as Guinness. Our drinks arrived quickly and we ordered our dinners. Our waiter was very friendly and professional.

The bread was a toasted marble rye with a pine nut butter. We had the onion fritters as an appetizer. These were perfectly prepared and had the perfect balance of flavor. I had the fish and chips and my husband had the braised short rib. Both of our meals were absolutely delicious! The fish tasted very fresh and the fries were outstanding. I'm a French fry snob, so they have to be pretty good for me to say that. The short rib was juicy and falling apart. The sauce was a Guinness reduction and it had great flavor. Again, the dish had balanced flavors and textures.

I decided I would also order a dessert because I intended to write a review since I haven't seen any, yet. I ordered a special, which was a bread pudding with a caramel sauce. It was another hit!

Our dinner was $45, including the appetizer and dessert. That is a very reasonable price considering the quality of the food. This place is worth checking out. I almost didn't want to tell anyone because I know it will soon be crowded. However, this place deserves success.

Overall, the food was a perfect balance: quality, price and flavors. The restaurant is very well-managed which is evidenced by the service: good wait staff and short wait from the kitchen.

I would recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for something new. Fantastic!

1 Thank Bevyrage