“Pretty decent stay at this Fairfield Inn”

Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Harrisburg West
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in New Cumberland
Ottawa, Canada
“Pretty decent stay at this Fairfield Inn”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Stayed here with my wife on Friday May 10 after a long drive for a vacation in Washington DC the next day. The hotel was very clean, modern in style and our 3rd floor suite was attractive. It had 2 flatscreen TV's, a comfortable king bed and the bathroom was large, bright with an excellent showerhead spray. The front desk staff was helpful and courteous. Breakfast coffee was good but we had a full breakfast at one of the diners down the street so we can't comment on the hotel's complimentary breakfast. We paid $149 plus tax for the suite which was located at the front of the hotel. This Fairfield Inn is located just off the I-83N in a convenient hotel "neighbourhood" BUT although our room was protected from highway noise, I wouldn't want a room facing the highway. The truck traffic on both the I-81 and I-83 is really heavy. There are several diners nearby serving comfort food at very reasonable prices. There's a Sunoco a block BEFORE Beacon Hill Blvd. DON' T turn here or you'll be on the on ramp for the I-83N.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the highway. Pay the extra cost for a suite if you can.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
York, Maine
Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

Staff was very nice. They also stopped conversations between staff upon immediate site of a guest. The lobby is clean and well maintained. There is coffee in the lobby 24 hours per day. Basic free continental breakfast with Jimmy Dean sandwiches. They kept the area clean and well stocked. The chairs at the breakfast tables sat low and sat even lower once you sat in them leaving me to feel I wish I had a booster seat. The room had a microwave, coffee, small refrigerator, shampoo and two commodities: conditioner and lotion. The room had good lighting along with the usual iron, board, luggage rack and flat screen TV. The room was temperature controlled. I would be remiss not to mention the reason for the lower than perfect score. I do not believe the hotel should be punished for an employee's negligence, but I must report my stay accurately. In all honesty, I split the difference with the scoring as this particular issue is a major issue in my eyes, which ultimately affected how I felt during the course of my time there. Upon arrival, everything was clean except the bathroom in our room. There was urine and hair on the toilet seat. Upon taking a shower, I noticed all the hair that came from a head on the shower curtain, wall and floor. These very big cleaning oversights made me question what I was touching in the rest of the room even though the room appeared clean. But, that's the part that I struggled with in scoring this review. This was sloppy work by housekeeping that may have been a one-time issue, because the rest of the hotel was fantastic, clean, well maintained and the staff was incredibly nice.

• Stayed May 2013
Fredericksburg, VA
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I've never written a review like this, but I feel that I should warn others. My family of 5 recently stayed for 1 night, and we did not sleep! We used Marriott Reward points to book 2 rooms--1 King room and 1 room w/2 Queens. We arrived late at night, and found that despite our confirmation directly from Marriott, we did not get a King room. We got to the (Queen) rooms, and found them on the side of building facing 83N as it goes over a deep ravine--so we listened to miserable traffic noise all night. There was no soap or shampoo in either of our rooms. The desk manager said they "ran out", so she "had to go get some from the vacant rooms". Are you kidding me?! Breakfast was not what we've seen at other similar hotels; there were no fresh eggs, only prepared/wrapped sandwiches that all had pork or bacon on them--so we couldn't eat them.

I'm sure if you were 2 pork-eating people, who got a room on the quiet side of the hotel, and you didn't arrive at 11 pm to find no soap/toiletries--then your stay would have been just fine. Unfortunately, ours was not.

Room Tip: Rooms AWAY from the highway!!!!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank StuckNCowTown
Reviewed April 16, 2013

My recent stay was less than $130, which is cheap for the area. It included free wifi and a continental breakfast with many options as well (waffles, breakfast sandwiches, bagels, cereal, muffins, yogurt and more).

The room was nicely updated and the towels were incredibly soft.

Great place for a stay away from home!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank JAM_Traveling_duo
Bedford, New Hampshire
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is a good hotel overall. We didn't get upgraded like some of the other reviewers but the room was still large and had plenty of space. The bathroom was clean and roomy too. They have a decent breakfast offering as well, so if you're looking for a clean and inexpensive place to stay, I'd recommend. It's near a few restaurants and still appears to be very new. Nothing is worn yet, which is always nice.

Room Tip: All rooms seem to be large and well appointed.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Shickshinny, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 7, 2013

This hotel is only two years old very nice. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The rooms were modern and clean. The pool and spa was well kept. Also the breakfast was enjoyable with a lot to choose from. All and all I cant wait to return for another get awa

Room Tip: Ask to be placed on right end of hotel more away from traffic noise
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago suburbs, Illinois
Reviewed March 21, 2013

The Fairfield Inn was a very pleasant surprise and much appreciated after a long drive between my business locations. The hotel appears to either be brand new or recently updated. The lobby is modern, with a relaxed feel. The room is anything but the standard hotel set-up, and featured a separate area / sitting room with a desk; the bed area was separated by a partial wall. The bed was very comfortable.

The hotel offers the now-standard breakfast (waffles, other breads/pastries, cereal, oatmeal, juices). The breakfast area is comfortable, appropriate for the lone traveler or can easily accommodate a big group.

Access was easy, right off of the main expressway.

This will definitely be my hotel of choice when I visit this business location again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the highway to ensure a quiet evening. My room was very quiet.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business