“Great hotel! Terrible location!”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Harrisburg West
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in New Cumberland
Minnesota
“Great hotel! Terrible location!”
Reviewed June 14, 2012

I’m currently in my room at this hotel as I write this review - listening to the cars and trucks speed by on the freeway right outside my window. The noise from the freeway makes it impossible to have a peaceful night’s sleep. What’s so sad is this is actually a great hotel. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The hotel is new and modern. Clean, bright and very well laid out. My room - a king suite - is large and comfortable with modern furnishings. There are two 32” LCD TVs, fridge and microwave. The room also has a separate living room; open somewhat to the bedroom, with a comfortable couch, chair and a small desk. The king bed is also comfortable and has plenty of pillows to fit ever need. The AC unit is quiet and functions well. The bathroom is spacious and has a tub with shower combo. Everything works well and is perfect. But the freeway noise just ruins the whole experience!

Now I read the reviews after I placed my reservations for my stay. Not everyone mentioned the freeway noise. Several reviewers mentioned not staying in room 101. So when I checked in I forgot to mention the situation with the freeway noise. Since I received room 231, I thought I might be okay. But no! As soon as I walked into the room I could hear the trucks chugging by. Looking out the window I could see the cars and trucks going by on the freeway. I called the front desk and inquired as to a room on the opposite side of the hotel that did not face the freeway. But of course … all those rooms were occupied. They offered to give me a non-suite room on the opposite side, but its location might still be subject to the freeway noise. I decided to stay. Surprisingly when I first went to bed, the freeway noise did not seem too bad. Unfortunately, they were also doing night time reconstruction work on this segment of the freeway. Around 3am I awoke to the sounds of beeping - which were coming from the construction trucks backing up. On and on it went. After about 15 minutes I got up and put ear plugs in - but you could still hear the beeping. Beep, beep, beep, beep, 1 minute pause, beep, beep, beep, beep. I spent the rest of the morning tossing and turning, listening to all the noise.

The saddest part - I'm staying another night in the same room! I can already hear the beeping ….

Room Tip: Request a room on the opposite side of the freeway - as far away from the freeway as possible!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank 1hotelexpert

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Central PA
Reviewed June 3, 2012

We were quite pleased to find this hotel in the midst of an exit that is littered with competition, good and bad. Because of the location, some road noise is unavoidable, but even with a window open part of the night it was not that bad. The staff was exceptionally friendly -- we truly felt like they were happy to see us. Various services are close by, and the hotel offers typical "grocerette" and breakfast items.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jlfish
Wichita KS
Reviewed April 30, 2012

We had a very restful stop here after a business trip. The room was very clean and elegant. The bed was very comfortable. It was just what we needed after being in busy Philadelphia. Thanks!

Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 22, 2012

We were going to visit family in the Lewistown, PA area. We were not able to locate a hotel near them since the Blue/White Football game in State College was the same weekend (April 21, 2012). We decided to stay at the Fairfield Inn since we were able to get a great price. We did have a slight problem during check-in. When we arrived at 9PM, the person on duty was giving us a room with a King sized bed even though I reserved the room for 2 Queens. We had the reservations for over a month and it was marked guarenteed so I am not sure of the problem. When we got to the room, there was not enough bath towels for everyone. When we called down to the front desk, we were told we had to come down to pick them up. The hotel should consider having 2 employees on duty. When we went down to pick up the towels, someone else was checking in and was having a problem with their room also.

The hotel is new and the room and bathroom were clean. The breakfast area was modern but the seats around the tables were very low to the ground. Pool was enjoyable. We did not notice any traffic noise from the interstate. I did notice the interstate was located right out our window but I guess the noise from the AC blocked the noise from the interstate.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank CCCLady
Rochester MN
Reviewed April 5, 2012

Friendly staff. Clean rooms. Breakfast as expected in Fairfield Inns. Much highway noise from busy interstate. West end of hotel is near bridge across Yellow Breeches Creek. Trucks approaching bridge are decelerating down hill. After crossing bridge they begin climbing hill. Bridge approach bumpy causing much extra noise. Further evidence of cheap construction was present in Room 209 where we stayed. It is just above the pool. From time to time we heard the gleeful screeching of children having a good time. Would we stay here again? Yes, depending upon price and availability of a room on front of hotel, east end.

Room Tip: We noticed that when heating fan was blowing, the highway noise was pretty well muffled. We had no t...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank mudala
Canuk
Reviewed April 2, 2012

Nice hotel open only 8 months when we stayed. Clean and very good staff.
BUT...a room at the rear of the hotel is like sleeping ON Interstate 83. And the noise within the hotel of people closing doors or walking in the room above or on each side is very evident..i.e. soundproofing was not a priority when it was constructed. TV channels are also very limited. And as far as restaurants are concerned, without driving for 10-15 minutes you're stuck with Bob Evans, Pizza Hut or the golden arches.
Although our stays are usually always at Marriotts to which we usually give high marks, never/ever again at this Fairfield Inn.

Room Tip: If you choose to stay here make sure your room is on the front side of the hotel and at the far end...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ja81th
New York
Reviewed March 12, 2012

This was our second stay and this particular property. We had a nice stay there shortly after the hotel opened in the early fall, and made it a point to stay here again while we were in town. This time our experience was quite different. While there are many nice things to say about the hotel, our stomachs were turned by what we found on the windowsill in both the living room and the bed room; many, many, bug carcasses! Horrified and concerned, I called the front desk to inform them of the problem. The woman at the desk said "oh, they're probably just stink bugs. I'll come up with the vacuum". She did come up with the vacuum, and came in wearing rubber gloves. This made us a little nervous, because she had minimized the issue, but then came into our room wearing rubber gloves? And we're supposed to be comfortable staying there, and having our 8 year old sleep on the sofa bed in the living room? I was sure that after she saw the bugs on the windowsills, and on the floor underneath the a/c unit that she would at the very least apologize, and offer to change our room. I was very surprised when she didn't. This is certainly not the kind of treatment you expect at a Marriott property, and we stay at Marriott brand hotels at least 35-50 times per year. None of us slept well, and in hind sight, we should have demanded a room change. I wish we did, although we were told that the stink bug infestation has been a problem in many at this hotel.You would think that housekeeping would be more diligent about keeping the rooms visibly bug free, and that Marriott would be working hard to correct this problem. My advice, don't pay $125.00 for a buggy suite. Stay someplace else.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Caribbean2028
Also consider these accommodations in or near New Cumberland
Best Western Plus New Cumberland Inn & Suites
Holiday Inn Express & Suites New Cumberland
Holiday Inn Express & Suites New...
#2 of 13 in New Cumberland
TownePlace Suites by Marriott Harrisburg West/Mechanicsburg
Homewood Suites by Hilton Harrisburg-West Hershey Area
Hampton Inn by Hilton Harrisburg West
Quality Inn New Cumberland - Harrisburg South

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Harrisburg West? Share your experiences!