“Excellent Hotel”

New Cumberland Hotel
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in New Cumberland
Reviewed November 7, 2011

Stayed at this hotel with business partner. Renovated property, very well done with nice decor - color compination. I was pleased with service, hot breakfast.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank jodha

Reviewed November 3, 2011

When I opened the door to my room to my nonsmoking room, I was knocked-over by the smell of cigarette smoke. I went back to the desk and they found me a different room on the second floor. I went up the elevator and checked to see where the emergency exits were, the stairs were boarded up! I went downstairs to ask where the stairway was from the second floor and was told they took it out. The floor coverings in the lobby were shabby and need to be replaced. The breakfast was sparse. They are obviously remodeling, but wait until its finished to check in. Be forewarned, they also charge your whole stay at check in instead of at check-out.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed November 3, 2011

This place is in the process of renovating. The job being done is an improvement, albeit sloppily constructed renovations really damper the overall product. My complaint is that they have no right to sell the unfinished rooms. They gave up on them and, as a result, they are in terrible conditions... One room 330, that I was switched to because a headboard in the previous room 323 was not on the wall, had a hole in the floor big enough to put two feet in. This is a major hazard. On my final room, the clueless front desk lady put me in room 332, which smelled like an ashtray. I went down and asked to cancel the reservation, and the girl said that the owner will not give me another room to try and that, if I would cancel, I would be charged one night. This is unacceptable. On top of that, I found out that both nights were charged. I am calling choice hotels immediately to fix this. Stay away from here, there are plenty of other hotels with good customer service and great accomodations in the area that will love to have your business.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank gburn07
Reviewed October 11, 2011

Stayed here for two days because it was close to my daughter's soccer tournament. Room was generally clean, though I had to kill a bug of undetermined species in the bathroom upon arrival. Hallways were dirty due to ongoing renovation. Shower drain couldn't handle water flow. Beds were a bit firm, which I liked. Nice to have a refrigerator and microwave in the room for the price. I'd actually give it a 2-1/2 ranking if I could -- not quite a 2, but definitely not a 3.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 25, 2011

This hotel has only a few rooms renovated and the other rooms are gross. The pictures do not show what this hotel really looks like. There was a hole in the floor in my room the manger said he knew about it so it was covered up with the carpet. The breakfast is not deluxe and there is a limit on how much a person can take. Spoke to the manger about my concerns and he gave me some cranberry raisins to appease my frustrations with the hotel.
Called Choice Hotels the manger had 72 hours to get back to me he claimed he wrote a letter, but he never did. Sandra from Choice Hotels has taken my concerns seriously, false advertising, gross breakfast, and a hole in the floor. I will continue to ask for a refund because this was horrible experience.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank TAMARA K
Reviewed August 14, 2011

We stayed at this Comfort Inn during a motorcycle trip from Florida to New England, and then Pittsburgh, PA. The hotel was a halfway stop, and with many of the hotels in the area being expensive, we used our Choice travel points for our stay. The hotel was older and worn out. The clerks did not appear happy to be there, and acted accordingly. The room had a hot tub, which we did not use. The TV was old, had 2 controllers and no sound. WiFi was intermittent. The buffet breakfast was the worst of the trip. The only plus , other than costing us nothing was easy access to the PA Turnpike to continue our trip. We ate dinner next door at Doc Holiday's Restaurant which was very good.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 1, 2011

Where do I begin.... when we first arrived at the hotel there was an awful smell in the hotel and the outdoor pool was green. We asked the girl at the front desk what the smell is and she advised it is the sewage system behind them. We got to our floor, smelled bad and many stains on the carpet. The room was small, but decent, some of the wall was not fully painted, and not the cleanest but much better than the entry and hall way. We were booked for three nights. We went out for supper and when we returned there was another group of people also complaining to the manager (also believed to be the owner) regarding the conditions. The people wanted their money refunded due to the conditions, but he was refusing. Police had to show up as apparently the dispute must have been getting heated. I spoke to the girl at the front desk to advise we are checking out due to the conditions of the hotel. She advised there is no charge and printed my receipt showing no charge. We moved to the Holiday Inn directly across the street and had a wonderful stay.

I understand this place is being renovated, but even the renovated parts are not decent. It is very dirty, stains and bad smells.

Oh by the way... they still charged me for a night. When I called the hotel to explain that I I was not be charged and explained that I have the receipt to show I will not be charged, the manager advised he is charging me and hung up. I tried calling him back several times to discuss it and all he says is to call my credit card company. I ask him who the regional manager for the area and he hangs up on me.

Never had this experience before. Awful place, awful management. No amount of renovations will deal with the cleanliness and customer service of any place.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family