“I think it's the worse place I've ever stayed.”

Clarion Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in New Cumberland
Reviewed March 8, 2010

Upon arrival I was disappointed. My room was dated, there was gum on the carpet in the lobby, the ceilings were moldy, there were chicken bones in the elevator, cigarette burns on both sides of the lamp shades (they could go to TJ Maxx to replace those) the room phone was sticky (eeeew) just to name a few. The hotel is poorly designed with ridiculously long hallways that remind you of the hotel in "The Shining." Who wants to walk for ten minutes when you've just finished traveling?! The heated pool was in an area that was freezing. The service was horrible. I called down to ask for a blanket and was told they only had sheets. I asked for five to keep me warm and was told they only had two and I'd have to come down to get them myself??? The staff was not knowledgeable in the area attractions, rental agencies etc... The breakfast provided for my group was horrible. I paid for food rather than accept the free food offered to us in our package because it was that bad. I hated it and would never have stayed there if I wasn't part of a pre-paid travel group. Don't waste your money. There's a much nicer and newer Holiday Inn Harrisburg that I stumbled upon accidentally. If you look at the other reviews I've written you'll see they're complete opposite. I don't get my jollies writing bad reviews like some folks, this place is REALLY awful.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank TakeMeWithYouPlz
DOSHarrisburg, Director of Sales at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2010

The hotel would like to respond to this review. The pictures do paint an ugly picture but not the entire picture. Our hotel was completely contracted to one organization at the time of the stay. Unfortunately, it is hard on the hotel and there are many items that get damaged or go missing. The chicken wings, glasses, gum and trash were constantly being picked up by our staff until their party ended at 4am. The food was actually prepared by the same kitchen/chef as was the restaurant for the weekend. This particular weekend was at the time of the Nor Easter. Yes, it was extremely cold in the courtyard because a door had been opened. Our staff is very proud of the service that we offer. Staff could answer questions about the area and attractions but could not answer questions pertaining specifically to this group. They have their own Activities Director that has made special arrangements. We would certainly welcome the opportunity to have them visit our facility again.

Reviewed January 27, 2010

My company has been returning to this Holiday Inn for work functions because of the outstanding hospitality and friendliness of the entire staff. Donna Stutz coordinates our functions and has everything perfect for each occasion. She has learned the likes and dislikes of so many of us that we don't even have to ask her for special arrangements. The entire organization at this hotel are always ready to help and take care of us with a smile. I'd also like to mention the front desk people, Paul, Brittany, and Kim plus Kevin and Linda.It's always a pleasure staying at this place.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed January 25, 2010

Many of my board members had excellent accommodations for rooms. Unfortunately, those few that had issues were very unhappy. The rooms were not to the calibar of the rest of the hotel.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed January 5, 2010

We had our Holiday Party here for the 2nd year in a row! The entire facility is nice, nothing over the top in terms of fanciness, but the ball room is great -- huge and very nice. Great dance floor!
The hotel rooms are clean, but pretty basic. The hotel is aging, but it is kept clean and the service is great.
Everyone here is very nice and helpful. The staff went above and beyond to accomodate us on our trip.

Reviewed December 11, 2009

Our Company hosted a banquet to celebrate our employees. The event was a huge success. Donna Stutz, the catering sales manager was a big help. She was so easy to work with. She listened to our ideas and did everything she could to accomodate us. She even had some ideas of her own that helped make the night even more special. The food was excellent, the best we've ever had. The catering staff was courteous and attentive. The facilities were well maintained and decorated so nicely. We hear nothing but words of praise from our 260 employees. I would highly recommend this facility to anyone who is looking to host a banquet type of event. Thank you Donna and staff.

Reviewed December 8, 2009

The bad reviews of this hotel must have been written before the place was renovated. This was probably the best hotel I've been to. I didn't use the gym or indoor pool but they were nice. The room was very clean, bed and blankets were spotless. bathroom clean. I got a shaver, cream and toothpaste from the front dest. I came here for a three day class in one of their many conf. rooms. the classroom was spotless. hotel restaurant was good and reasonable. I don't see any reason not to stay here. All for $70.00 a night!

Reviewed October 28, 2009

This Holiday Inn did everything just right to make our military reunion successful. From check-inn when they placed our senior and those with walking difficulties on the ground level to our final banquet, the staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Two luncheons and two dinners were held in the hotel and the chef present menues that were crowd pleasers -- very adequate quantities, well prepared and tasty, and the presentation was delightful. Guest rooms were quite adequate and comfortable. A number in our group appreciated the mini-frige to store medicines. There is easy access to the hotel from the Interstate; adjacent family resturants provide suitable options to hotel dining.

• Stayed: September 2009
Also consider these accommodations in or near New Cumberland
Holiday Inn Express & Suites New Cumberland
Holiday Inn Express & Suites New...
#2 of 14 in New Cumberland
Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Harrisburg West
Scottish Inns New Cumberland
Scottish Inns New Cumberland
#6 of 14 in New Cumberland

Been to Clarion Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!