Clarion Hotel & Conference Center
$68
Hotels.com
$84
Savings alert! 15% below average rates

The price you found is 15% lower than this hotel's average rate of $99/night.

Motel 6 Harrisburg(New Cumberland)
$56
  • Pool
$99
Fairfield Inn
Savings alert! 20% below average rates

The price you found is 20% lower than this hotel's average rate of $123/night.

$79
$70
$46
$121
Highland Inn(New Cumberland)(Great Value!)
$39
All reviewsatrium arearooms were very cleanpa turnpikesausagethe breakfast areadebtournament
Reviewed July 7, 2013

My husband, three sons, mother, father and I stayed in this hotel when my son played in a baseball tournament in Hershey, PA. Hotels closer to Hershey were booked because of a One Direction concert happening the same days as the tournament, so this Clarion was one remaining relatively nearby option. Our first impression was that the place was ok and probably a little past its prime, but we're really not that picky. If a place is clean, in good operating order and the staff friendly, then we're good to go. Unfortunately, as you'll see below, there were more cons than pros.

Pros:
-on-site fitness room with a couple of ok treadmills and other cardio equipment
-indoor pool
-friendly staff
-marginally-edible free breakfast buffet

Cons:
-room slept 4 (reservations were for 4 in our room), but we were provided with 3 towels. I requested more towels the first night and never got them. Left a note for the housekeeping staff for more towels on the second day, asked at the front desk several hours later after housekeeping came and went, and then called at 9:30 pm and was assured that the towels were on the way. I wanted to go to bed, but stayed up waiting for the towels and they never came.
-no towels at the pool. My son went swimming and came back to the room and had to use 1 of our 3 towels to dry off, leaving that towel soaking wet. So, then we were down to 2 towels for 4 people. People asked for towels for the pool and were told by the front desk staff they were on the way and they never came.
-room thermostat did not work, so the room was really warm. Even turning the temperature down to 58 degrees did not cool it off at all.
-the toilet hardly had enough flush power to flush liquid waste, much less solid (gross but true).
-our room did not have a fridge or microwave, but was supposed to.
-the ice machines did not work (important in 90+ degree heat for cooling baseball players' drinks).
-our non-smoking room smelled like someone had smoked a couple of packs in there right before we checked in.

Overall, if the basics would have been taken care of (towels, anyone?) we would have been relatively happy. But, please don't leave a card in our room that says, "If you're not satisfied with our accommodations or service, please let the front desk know without delay so we can make it right" and not deliver on it.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank MDfamilyoffive
GSM_Clarion, Front Office Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

I want to thank you for taking the time to write such an in-depth review of the hotel. I appreciate all of your feedback, both pro and con. Please know that your review will be a major focus in my presentation at our next manager's meeting. I will also be stressing the importance of follow-up on guest requests at my next front desk staff meeting. Thank you for putting it in black and white to help emphasize that importance. We apologize for the issues you experienced during your stay and are sorry for not exceeding your expectations.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

The indoor pool at the center of the courtyard ensures family fun year round. The rooms are clean and the staff is friendly and helpful.

The Garlic Poet restaurant has been renovated and upgraded with a delicious menu at reasonable prices.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

So happy you enjoyed the pool and got to experience some family fun while you were with us. We are also glad you experienced the delicious offerings at our restaurant, The Garlic Poet. Hope to see you again.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

I travel on business frequently and basically live out of hotels. On this trip, I had to travel to New Cumberland, PA for 1 week of training at the DLA base. I am very keen to staying at hotels and where I will or will not stay. Based on the room rate, I was required to stay here.
First the good:
1) CHECK IN:
-Jo at the reception desk was very friendly, accommodating, and helpful. When I asked for a different room, she quickly moved me to a better location. She did the same for one of my other coworkers.
2) RESTAURANT:
-The Garlic Poet had excellent food and a very friendly, proficient staff. Would definitely return to that pub if it were located in a different area.
3) LOCATION:
-It was within 5-7 minutes from the location of the base we had to go to.

Now the bad (note that I am also speaking for others that were part of my group):

1) SAFETY:
-It appears because of the room rate my company had, we (there were a total of 7 of us) were put at the very back of the hotel on the 1st floor. The entrance we were told to use to get to our rooms was basically blocked by hotel workers. Not exactly sure what all their jobs were, but they were sitting on the sidewalk and step to the door smoking cigarettes and speaking in a different language. They only moved out of the way when I had luggage that would have hit them in my effort to get in the door. There was one young man who offered to help me get my suitcase into the door. I felt VERY uncomfortable and unsafe because my room was right across from the hotel laundry facility and by the entrance where the workers were congregated. The doors to the laundry room were open and it became clear that the workers right outside of the entrance were taking a break from doing hotel laundry or whatever else their jobs may have been. I truly felt unsafe, which was when I went to the front desk and had my room changed to the 2nd floor by the front of the hotel. I thought about telling the front desk about the workers in the back but thought I may have just arrived at a particular time and that this wasn't the norm (as it has been my experience from my extensive travels). Getting a different room was all I could think of.
2) ROOM:
-The room was as clean as could be expected. There were cobwebs where the wall & ceiling met, accumulation of dust/mold on the air vent, and the shelf in the shower where all the clean towels were put was full of rust. Because of the overall feel of the room, I was uncomfortable and the 2 nights that I stayed there, I slept in one spot on the bed with my hoodie on so my face wouldn't touch the pillow. My firsts night there, I was sure someone was knocking on my door in the middle of the night. I stayed awake for a while trying to think of what I could use as a weapon to defend myself if someone made their way into my room. One of my other coworkers could see large dried blood stains on the mattress pad underneath the thin sheets on the bed.
3) OVERALL:
-Although Jo at the front desk was very quick to change my room, it was only after I asked her if the hotel and area are safe. She stated that it was safe, but didn't hesitate to move me to a different room. I believe she knew why I was asking that question.
-The hallway right outside the elevator on the 2nd floor was dark and unwelcoming.
-The pool was not an option because there seemed to be unsavory type of people hanging out there during the evenings (which was when we would return to the hotel after work)
-The feel of this hotel was one of low end clientele or people who need a good bargain price.

After staying there 2 nights, I couldn't take it anymore and found a different hotel to stay at. The remainder of the week I was able to sleep at night and didn't feel uncomfortable, unsafe, or dirty. Because all the hotels in the area were booked, I had to stay 35 miles away, however, it was worth the drive every morning. Two of my coworkers came to the same hotel I did. The four remaining coworkers that stayed at this hotel came in each morning with different stories about lack of sleep because of noise, or that they couldn't take a shower because the water coming out of the shower was brown (it was believed it was due to a pipe problem). For them, the close proximity of the hotel was worth everything they went through.

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. I would never take my family there.

Room Tip: I you have no other choice but to stay here, I recommend that you ask for a room on the 2nd floor by the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Mesoshelly
GSM_Clarion, Front Office Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. As the newest member of our management team, I want you to know how much I appreciate your valuable input. Please know that I will be making copies of your review and sharing with all of the department heads at our next manager's meeting, so that we can work together to improve the issues you cited in your review.
I wish to apologize for your problems with your stay, and thank you for your kind words about Jo, one of our Guest Services Representatives.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

Where to start? When we checked in at 7:00pm they had to see if the room was ready.. check in is supposed to be at 4:00pm. The room was totally unacceptable. The room smelled. It adjoined an indoor pool so the noise was incredibly loud. The bathroom was dirty and moldy. There was a bug in the bed, not surprising since there is about 1 inch of between the bottom of the door and the floor. This place is disgusting!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank apeakhiker

I wish to apologize for your experience at our hotel. Please be assured that we are working hard to correct these issues as we work to make our hotel better. I will let each department know about the problems you encountered. Thanks for taking your valuable time to let us know.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised to find this place off of the turnpike after a long day on the road. The staff was helpful and the bed was just a nice as one at a much more expensive hotel. About the only complaint I have is about several stains on furnishings and the carpeting in the room. I would suggest diligence in this area.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
GSM_Clarion, Front Office Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2013

We are glad you found us, too. Thank you for taking the time to review us on tripadvisor. We are glad you enjoyed your stay. I have addressed the issues you experienced with our housekeeping department to make sure they are remedied. Hope you'll visit us again the next time you are in the area.