“The other reviews were wrong - GREAT hotel!”

Clarion Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in New Cumberland
Reviewed November 26, 2012

Contrary to the reviews I read, this hotel was wonderful. Great rooms, modern lobby, wonderful restaurant, and courteous, attentive staff. My room was clean and spacious. The lobby was a great place to sit and relax. The on-site restaurant is superb!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Clarion Hotel & Conference Center

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed here for a night last summer while visiting Hershey Park. The accommodations were adequate, they had a nice indoor pool that we didn't get to use, but the service was mediocre at best. The breakfast was a terrible experience I hope to never repeat. There was only one waitress to service the entire restaurant and she was clearly flustered as she couldn't possibly handle the overwhelming load. The restaurant manager was skulking in the back occasionally coming out to pour a pot of coffee in the lobby urn. It was shameful that he wasn't out helping to serve customers and keeping people from getting as angry as they did. In my youth I worked in food service and that's what a good manager did. This idiot let the whole place fall apart and as a result none of us there will ever return.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank nylads2
Reviewed October 30, 2012

From the moment you first enter (check-in), until your departure date and time, you feel like their most important and valued guest! Warm, friendly, and welcoming greeting from all seems to come naturally, with an emphasis especially from "Rebecca" if you are lucky enough to have her assist you at their guest services counter. Additionally, "Jo" will also very much contribute to ensuring that your stay will be the best ever. When they are working together, that has to be Holiday Inn's guest services "A-Team"! While you are a guest there, their restaurant and lounge staff will help you to relax and unwind; breakfast, lunch, and or dinner; or even a refreshing beverage of preferred choice, always served with a warm and friendly greeting and smile. Please continue with the second to none guest services experience.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 19, 2012 via mobile

Stayed one night room was clean. Service was good. The restaurant and bar were excellent. Very busy. Recommended. Conference center hotel everyone from the desk help To the restaurant were great. It was impressive how clean the public areas and the grounds were.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 17, 2012

You can tell by the low ceilings that this is an older property. I recently booked 3 rooms for our trip to New Cumberland for a family funeral. I see all the negative ratings but our rooms were clean and the staff in the bar and restaurant were great.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel with my husband. Like many of the other reviews note, the hotel seems to have booking problems. We originally booked only one night, but on the day of our intended arrival we decided to stay 2 nights. My husband called the toll free reservation number first and they said they were all booked up. He then called the hotel directly and they said the same thing. We ended up booking a room for the second night at a nearby hotel. However, upon our arrival to the holiday inn about an hour and a half later, the receptionist asked if we were only staying one night. We told her we wanted to stay two, but were told they didn't have a nonsmoking room for the next night. She seemed surprised and said they had the room if we wanted to stay. Now I understand reservations change all the time, and it's possible someone had canceled their reservation for the next night, but judging from the clerk's response, that was not the case.

Anyways we checked into our nonsmoking room and it must've been right among the smoking rooms because smoke smell was very strong in the hallway. As far as our room, it smelled musty and like febreeze. The room was a decent size, nice window, decent TV. The cushion on the sleeper sofa was partially off - not sure if that was from prior occupants or the cleaning crew.

Now for the real problems. First thing I noticed is everything seemed outdated. Not a big problem, if everything is clean and in decent shape. However, the toilet seat had pieces missing..as in little chunks off the top of the seat making it rough. The towel bar, toilet paper holder and tissue holder all had rust on them. The room was not clean - dust and dirt in places that could've been easily cleaned. The ceiling in the bathroom was not in good shape. I didn't feel the place was cleaned at all. We also had no heat. It was in the 40s outside and we kept bumping the thermastat up but only cold air came out. We called the front desk and the clerk said to cut the whole unit off because they're still running AC and that's all any room has until they make the switch to heat.

Now to the hotel's credit, I did hear the vacuum in the morning, but I don't know if the cleaning crew did anything else.

This hotel is also in a decent location. It has a 24 HR gas station, McDonald's, and family restaurant within walking distance. The lobby area and restaurant in the hotel appear nice and clean, but the rest needs serious work. As I've read the other reviews and dates, I'm not sure the hotel management has truly taken strives to correct the problems mentioned as their responses note.

There are 4 other hotels in the same area... one of which I had a pleasant second night stay.

• Stayed: October 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

Dear thewsx,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I appreciate the compliments on our convenient location and lobby. However, please do accept our apologies for the inconvenience and discomfort you have experienced due to the unusual smell, condition of the bathroom and climate of the room. I assure you the feedback will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We thank you for taking the time to bring this matter to our attention. Only with feedback can we continue to improve our service standards.

Once again, thank you for alerting us and bringing these unsatisfactory circumstances to our attention.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed September 30, 2012

This was my 4th and final business stay here. From now on, I'll be at the Fairfield across the street.
- Ants in the rooms
-Rooms not thoroughly cleaned... dust/dirt in places that have obviously been neglected for a long time.
-Very limited airport shuttle hours. Useless if you have an early flight.
-Saw the same beer can in the elevator for nearly 24 hours.
-Less than enthusiastic desk staff. Probably due to the number of complaints they have to deal with.
-The circuit breaker for my room tripped, leaving me with no lights, TV, computer, etc for nearly an hour. Apparently the only maintenance person was picking someone up from the airport.
-No more food deals in the restaurant. I will say that their beer selection is still good. The Shepherd's Pie I had for dinner was horrible.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
AGM148, Director of Sales at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

Thank you for your comments. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We have passed this information on to the appropriate managers to look over and address any of your concerns. Could you please tell me what room you stayed in so that we may better address these comments?

Also consider these accommodations in or near New Cumberland
Best Western Plus New Cumberland Inn & Suites
Holiday Inn Express & Suites New Cumberland
Holiday Inn Express & Suites New...
#1 of 14 in New Cumberland
Capital Inn New Cumberland - Harrisburg South
Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Harrisburg West
Days Inn New Cumberland/Harrisburg South
Country Inn and Suites Harrisburg West

Been to Clarion Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!