“Prefer the one in obx” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Duck Deli - CLOSED

Duck Deli
Cuisines: American, Delicatessen
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Seating, Takeout
Doylestown
“Prefer the one in obx”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

Food is ok but prefer the other location in the outer banks. Hush puppies are good. The barbecue is disappointing and service is inconsistent. Wish it was better.

• Visited September 2012

Doylestown, Pennsylvania
“What the duck? I'd rather 7-11.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

I wanted to love this place. When you walk in, it feels like you're having breakfast at the farm. The coffee is terrific. So far, so good. It ends there. Try getting a second cup.....impossible. The service was afwul and it took forever to get scrambled eggs. My toast was cold and the waitress was not busy enough to be so vacant. I was here during the week after the breakfast rush. No excuse for such a poor experience. I actually asked to speak to a manager, he wasn't available...Um, right. I called for 2 days to try and speak with him, he never called me back or got on the phone. AWFUL.

There are way too many better places to go for eggs.

Visited August 2012
Philadelphia
“Nice place for Barbeque!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2012

a little cramped, but great food. the accomodated a large crowd of about 16 on a friday night, Let us stay 1 hr over closing to talk. Very nice, friendly service.

Visited November 2012
Chalfont, Pennsylvania
“Went down hill”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

To be honest, the food and service at the Duck Deli was always spotty. Sometimes my food arrived swiftly, other times I felt like my server forgot me. Sometimes the food was piping hot, other times it was lukewarm. I always ordered the pulled pork sandwich and the flavoring on it ranged from good to nonexistent. One time most of my sandwich was a huge chunk of fat.

However, when they got it right, they got it very right. Portions were decent and well priced. Their hush puppies were to die for and their fresh brewed iced tea (they offer true sweet tea or non-sweetened – yuck) was wonderful. I loved that their tea was served in clear glass jars. Usually I was too full for dessert, but their brownie sundae is always excellent.

Having been a customer since they opened (I went to college right next door to them), I’ll admit my patronage has waned in recent years because now that I can’t walk there, their parking lot is an issue. It is tiny, full of holes and nearly impossible to escape. Traffic on the road in front of it has drastically increased in recent years. You can only make a right out and then have to drive through side streets or flip around in a neighboring parking lot if you needed to head in the opposite direction.

With a year between visits, I was shocked at how down hill the place has gone. Several of the tables had been replaced with round plastic patio-style tables which gave it a mismatched and low quality appearance. My chair had an unpatched rip in it and I saw several other chairs were also in disrepair. They no longer offer 2 sizes of pork sandwiches. You used to have a choice of small on a hamburger bun or large on a Kaiser roll. Now there is one size on a grilled “fancy” roll that detracted from the flavor of the pork. I’d say they were trying to go upscale, but that doesn’t track with the patchwork of furniture they were using. The pork was also very dry and not very hot.

My supposed sweet tea was served in a cheap plastic glass with a chip out of it the rim instead of out of a glass jar. I took a sip and it tasted so weird I was afraid I was going to get food poisoning from it. That was not even tea. It was almost like I was served a glass of coke syrup or some chemical compound designed to simulate sugar. It was brown and liquid, but not tea. I should have sent it back, but with co-workers and didn’t want to make a scene. I can only assume I was either served the wrong thing or they went to fountain drink tea and stopped brewing their own to save money. BIG let down. I left thirsty.

I will say the brownie sundae was as good as ever and was the one redeeming factor.

Service was slow for all that only one other table besides ours had customers. It was lunch time, the place used to be packed at that time of day, but it was like a ghost town. I was surprised by it when I arrived, but given the all around decreased quality I experienced, it explained why patronage was low.

Once upon a time I would have given this place four or five stars, but I was so disappointed with everything except my dessert that I can only give it three. If not for the sundae, it would have been a two star review.

• Visited April 2012
2 Thank aerin-sol
Doylestown, Pennsylvania
“ladies night out”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

it was just OK... food good.. southern style...wooden chairs or a booth style.. reminds me more of a luncheonette than a restaurant.

Visited February 2012