“Great place for birding and picture-taking”
Review of Peace Valley Park

Peace Valley Park
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Peace Valley Park and the Peace Valley Nature Center that's located just about at the center of the park are great places for bird watching and picture-taking. There are a lot of trails through the woods and along Lake Galena. There's a bird blind behind the Nature Center and, just a short distance from the bird blind, on the opposite side of the pond, there is a place to sit and watch the turtles and frogs that live in the pond. There's also a bird blind on the opposite side of the lake from the Nature Center. The park is a great place for a peaceful walk, or boating on the lake (there's a rental place for kayaks, rowboats and other watercraft), fishing, or just throwing a blanket on the grass and relaxing.

Reviewed September 24, 2013

I walked peace valley with a friend and it was gorgous! We started at Pavilion 2, Lake Galena where there are boat rentals. Due to time constraints we did not make it around the whole lake but are returning to give that a go! There are lots of biker's, but most have a little bell they ding to warn you that they are coming from behind.

Very easy to find and a nice path. There are restrooms and a waterfountain located at the Pavilion 2 entrance.

Pets are welcome.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

We wanted to explore an area where we could read, write and draw by a lake. We found that in Peace Valley. We happened to end up in Pavilion 2, Lake Galena where there are boat rentals.
There are lots of picnic tables and cookout areas where they were filled with large families having fun. It was fun and relaxing to watch the sailboats, paddle boats and canoes on the lake. People were jogging and walking dogs.
Oh, yeah. The only negative thing I have to say is that when my husband and I decided to walk around the lake's edge, I almost stepped in what should have been scooped up by the doggie's owner!!!!
There are bathroom facilities available and were clean.
We drove around the area and found other areas that we probably would have enjoyed more - less people and activity, but everything was clean - except that one mishap, which again was caused by a careless doggie owner!
We went to the nature center and it was closed, but they kept the restrooms open. That's nice.
We were able to enjoy the bird blind and walk past rocks where snakes may hibernate. I passed on the opposite side allowing my husband the closer view. We got to the building and sat down and watched a duck, a squirrel and several different types of birds in their natural habitat without the noise of the 21st century. Quiet was there.
A good outing for the family, couples or anyone wanting peace and quiet. Go!

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Great park with a very nice lake. It can be a little overcrowded with cyclists, runners and pets but other than that it can be a very nice getaway. We go there for fishing - big catfish - right by the dam. Very convenient parking lot is open 24/7 for fishing purposes, so you have access to the lake at all times. Boating is fun too. All in all - worth a visit!

Reviewed August 31, 2013

The name Peace Valley says it all--quiet, bucolic park surrounding a lake--at least on the nature trails. I hadn't been here in 15 years and it's changed--I don't remember the paved bike/walk trail which I did step on to at several spots where I was passed by cyclists, runners and dog walkers with their pets leashed.

Weatherwise it was the most beautiful day of the summer and at 3pm on a Saturday, the park was not very busy.

I parked at the nature center (ample parking with restrooms availalbe) and I spent most of my time on the nature trails, walking @ 4miles of them. Indian, Pond, Unami, Pine Paths, then Lake Walk, Maple Leaf, West Woods, Red Oak, Sunrise and back -- ventured across the Chapman bridge (very scenic!) to Wetlands, Ochre, Farm Pond and back on the Hike/Bike Path. There was a ruins somewhere along the trails on the south side of the lake.

I saw and photographed numerous flowers and inviting sunlight streaming through young forested settings, blue herons (I am not a bird watcher), deer, toads at the pond, red-eared slider turtles at Chapman Bridge, and kayakers quietly moving along the lake.

Nature trails are combination of mowed grass where they are adjacent to meadows to typical dirt/roots/small rocks in the forested ones. Boardwalks are built to cross wetter areas and all the trails are well maintained.

Some, especially those with lake views, also offer benches to enjoy the setting.

You'll need a map as the trails do weave back and forth on the north side and trail markings were scant on one section of south side trails.

Hope you enjoy!!