“Very odd experience”

Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh - Munhall
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Munhall
Reviewed July 28, 2013

When I booked a room at this hotel, I was aware that it had opened fairly recently and still had a few bumps to smooth out, but I must say the bumps were worse than I expected. We were given a room on the third floor but when when we attempted to get in the lock flashed green but would not open, almost as though it was locked from inside. After waiting a long time for the elvevator, we went back to the front desk where we waited at least five minutes for the clerk to return. She then assigned us a room on the second floor. This time the door handle did turn when we attempted to enter our room, but the privacy lock was on. Some maids were working across the hall and when we told them about our experience on the third floor, they laughed and asked (in unison) "Room 312? " They told us they didn't know why they kept trying to give people that room since it hadn't worked since the hotel opened. (If this was the case, why didn't the hotel do something to make sure that nobody was given that room. A note in the computer, even a sticky note at the desk . . . something?) Next, the maids attempted to force open the privacy lock on our second room, but then a male voice spoke from within the room, indicating it was not available. Back to the front desk we went. The clerk acted disgusted, told us it was her last day working there because there was so much wrong with the hotel, and then assigned us a room on the first floor. She also claimed that we couldn't get into the second floor room because they were changing the bedskirt. The privacy lock was on to change the bedskirt? Very fishy. We finally successfully got into a room on the first floor, which was, as others commented, rather small. It didn't really bother us, but certainly was not what I'd expected after staying at other Holiday Inn Express hotels. Other than that, the room and bed were fine, and the hotel did make an adjustment to our room rate to compensate us for the inconvenience we experienced. All, in all, it would have been worth a few more bucks to stay at the Mariott or Hampton, which are closer to most to the attractions at the Waterfront and probably don't have as many issues.

1  Thank Melanie J
Brock H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh - Munhall, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

I'm sorry for any issues you had while staying at our hotel. Please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel so I can resolve any ill feelings you have regarding your stay.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh - Munhall

Reviewed July 25, 2013

I have never left a hotel early and paid for another room while the one I was at was free on club points..... Well it happened this hotel is "new" ther were stains on the furnature, undersized air conditioners, matresses were TERIBLE, I would have been better in the floor or in the car.

I will say that the staff was pleasant and helpful. It's not their fault that the hotel was made that way.

Do not ask for a refidgarator in your room, they don't have any.

The Hampton Inn down the road is much better.

Room Tip: Don't Stay Here
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Brock H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh - Munhall, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

Please contact me at the hotel to discuss. We want all our guests to leave happy.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

We found this Motel to be very clean. It is located adjacent to a very large mall. Check in was very easy and the front desk very friendly. It was difficult for us to find. We visited family here and found it to be a very enjoyable experience. We found the room and bed very comfortable and very quiet.

Room Tip: I do not have any complaints about this Holiday Inn Express. It was clean, quiet and comfortable. I...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your kind words. We hope you come back and see us next time you are in town.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Really nice place. One of the best Holliday Inn Express hotels in PA. But the beds were really bad. We both woke up sore. We had actually changed hotels after the first night. We also let the staff know. The response was that since the hotel is new the bed are also new. I cant see how that would be bad. Most beds when new they are amazing. But I can say that we were destroyed the next day after saying here. My partners comment was "It is sad when your car seats are more comfortable then the bed you slept in" I am not going to say dont stay here, I am just going to say that I hope you have the back for it. Over all the rest of the place we nice. Good breakfast. Accommodating staff. A bit expensive for the area. And I can say that honestly since the company paid for the room and not me.

Room Tip: Call ahead and ask for a top floor. We had the bottom level and you are under the pavement level.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

We do appreciate all your kind words. I am glad to hear such great things about my staff. I am sorry you were uncomfortable sleeping on the mattress. They are Serta mattresses and we haven't had many complaints on them, but I know everyone has a preference. If you want call me at the hotel directly to discuss.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

I was in town to attend an event nearby, and since I don't know the area I elected to stay closeby. Check in and parking were easy. The room was clean, but LOUD. In fact, the walls were so thin that when I sat on the bed with my head on the headboard, I quite literally was jolted on several occasions by movement in the next room. This was startling, to say the least.
Breakfast was available in the common area, which is a nice touch when you are out of town. If you just need a place to lay your head for the night and you are not noise averse, this place is ok. However, if you want a little ambience or need quite to sleep, this will not work.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Patti B
Brock H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh - Munhall, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Thanks for your review. Hope your event went good as well. We do have ear plugs down at the desk to ensure you have a peaceful nights sleep. If you need contact me at the hotel personally next time you come to Pittsburgh.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

my friend and I stayed there June 17th, checked in after 9pm, and only stayed for one night, they should give you a little bit of a discount or cheaper if you check in later at night and only there til next morning, but yeah we went to kennywood, and its only about 6-7 mins from the park, we stayed in room 125 which is on first floor, but thing is, the curtains by the window, you can't shut, so its like people can see right in, thats one thing I don't like, there is no microwave or fridge, only coffee maker, iron board, tv, however, nice double two beds, shower/bathroom is nice as well, it was 129, but they charged me about 150, thats a little pricey, I was in cheaper motels/hotels in the past years rates at 65-100 a night, that had microwave,fridge and curtains to close that were on first flooors....

staff is friendly, but a little pricey for what I said...

-Matt

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Matt-
I am glad you stayed with us and enjoyed Kennywood as well since we are the closest hotel to the amusement park. I personally went down to 125 and checked the curtain situation, there are a set of black out curtain behind the shears that block out light from outside as well as allowing people to see into your room. $129.99 was the rate on the night you stayed and according to our call around log to other hotels on that particular day we were in fact the best priced hotel in the area. In addition, just like you I hate paying taxes on items, and unfortunately we have 14% in taxes on renting a hotel room. Hope to see you again, and if you want to call me personally next time you come to town, I'd be happy to make any reservations for you.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

This hotel has a professional and friendly staff. Their breakfast was nothing special and the eggs were powdered and watery however we did not stay here because we wanted breakfast. The hotel is new and spotless. The rooms were very clean without a microwave or refrigerator in all rooms. You have to request that I guess. The rooms are quite small with a King bed or two full size beds. This is not a room for more then 2 people. We were a party of 4. Two adults and two grand kids. We were very cramped. There was fresh fruit in the Lobby and the Oranges were sweet and delicious. In the evening they put out a spread of a snack or even a small dinner. We had complementary Chic-fil-A and it was a welcome surprise. Rooms here are a little expensive but probably the area is to blame. You may wonder why we gave it an excellent rating....The service and especially the friendly staff makes this a place to spend the night. I will stay there again.

Room Tip: All rooms are great but some do have a microwave and refrigerator. Probably best to ask if you need...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Ed T

Thanks you for your kind words about the staff. I wish we could make the rooms a little bigger, but unfortunately it is too late at this point. We look forward to seeing you in the future.

Brock Hunt

Also consider these accommodations in or near Munhall
Southside Flats
HYATT house Pittsburgh-South Side
Comfort Inn Conference Center
#57 of 71 in Pittsburgh

Been to Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh - Munhall? Share your experiences!