“Clean rooms, friendly service, lack of entertainment.”

Mount Airy Casino Resort
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Mount Pocono
Pennsylvania
“Clean rooms, friendly service, lack of entertainment.”
Reviewed December 2, 2009

My husband and I spent the weekend here for our wedding anniversary. We live only about 2 hours from the resort and it was our first trip to the Pocono's, so we really had no expectations. The Pocono's are absolutely breathtaking in the fall, so just the drive to the resort and around the town was a blast.
On our way home we stopped at "Happy Trails Horseback Riding" and had such a blast! Just make sure you call and make a reservation. Staff was wonderful and the trail was over an hour long!

The hotel itself was extremely clean, modern amenities and spacious. I was a bit concerned about the noise since there was a casino below, but we never heard a peep. The people in the room beside ours were extremely noisy, however, one call to the front desk and we never heard them again.
We ate at the buffet the first night, which was a Friday, and thankfully we picked that night over Saturday because on Saturday it was absolutely packed. There was an hour wait just to buy your "meal" and then an hour wait to get seated. The food in the buffet was not fantastic, but it wasn't awful either. If I had one complaint about the food, it was that there wasn't much selection for vegetarians, but that's a pretty common complaint, especially in the PA area.

We're definitely not gamblers, so we won't be staying at a Casino again. Besides eating or gambling, there wasn't anything to do. There was the very expensive spa, which seemed to be closed every time we poked our heads in. It's a shame there's no pool or jacuzzi available either.

Parking was terrible because everyone in the area comes on Friday & Saturday nights to the Casino and there is no designated parking lot for guests, so you have to circle until something becomes available. And forget trying to get to your room without being carded or bombarded by security since you have to walk through the casino to get there.

Overall we had a good stay and enjoyed finding new things to do outside the resort. There's a pottery place nearby, "poke a nose" and also some great thrift shops around if you're interested in flea markets. Also, the large mall outlet is a 10 minute drive and worth the trip- tons of stores!

I wouldn't come back but I did enjoy the cleanliness and the friendliness of the staff. They were very willing to share maps, town information and directions to and from all of the places we wanted to go.

1 Thank jleareid

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
new jersey
Reviewed November 28, 2009

Made a reservation for somking room an 2 double beds.The night we were traving from n.j. it was raining and very foggy so i knew it would take alittle longer to get there. we made a call on our way up just to let them them that we may be a little late (10-15 minutes.) we were rudley told by Cherly that reservation are held to 9:00 pm an if we are not there by then we would not have a room.We explained again that we are travling from NJ and because of the weather it might take longer .She did not care. It was the most stress full ride trying to get there on time. We arrived at 9:02 they only had a room with 1 king size bed with smoking so had to get non smoking room with 2 beds. Down in the casino could not get a drink not a waitress to be found. The casino was empty not many people so it was like they were very busy.Asked a security guard were the waitress were he said he would find one never saw him again. bad check /bad service on the floor. atlantic city might be a longer ride but worth it.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank NewJerseyTrixie
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed November 16, 2009

This attempt at a redo of an American classic aspires to much, but fails drastically in its execution. The hotel and grounds itself are very clean and gorgeous. The rooms are cozy with comfortable beds and nice modern amenities.

However, the casino staff and supervisors can certainly benefit from some basic training in hospitality. Throughout our entire stay, they consistently treated us with ambivalence and outright disrespect. In addition, we agree with the previous poster(s) regarding a need for better ventilation in the casino and that the separate smoking and non-smoking areas don't quite work as the smoke permeates the entire facility.

I would recommend this hotel only if you plan on staying within the confines of your room for the entire stay. Other than that, stay away!

- a doctor and a lawyer

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ATLiens04
New Jersey
Reviewed October 19, 2009

I live near Atllantic City and go there all the time. The trip up to Mount Airy was well worth it!! Booked a room package to receive 15.00 in slot play and a 50.00 F&B credit. Check-in was easy, the rooms were beautiful and very clean. The bathroom very roomy and clean. The casino floor was layed out very nice, with alot a different slot machines to offer. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. Will definitely go back!!!

2 Thank jandb119
Trenton, NJ
Reviewed October 15, 2009

My partner and I stayed there on a Friday night. The check-in was quick and easy, the room was very nice, and all of the people we encountered were nice. The room and food was comped which was nice, and I won $400 on slots. My only expense was tips. I stay here every time I travel north. I have no complaints.

2 Thank JLESTO
Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 7, 2009

I just made a reservation to stay at the hotel/casino in a couple of weeks and I am already wondering if I should cancel it, especially after the experience I just had and then reading some of these other reviews. The person who just took my reservation over the phone was really unfriendly. And I asked for one room with two beds (because I'm traveling with a friend and don't want to share a bed with her) and she told me they can't guarantee room preference. Since when is the number of beds a room "preference"? We will be so disappointed if we drive all the way up there and they make two adult women share a bed. I like my friend but that will be so uncomfortable! And the reservation-taker just couldn't care less about my concern. She was like a robot; She just kept repeating herself and rattling off a list of "we don't do this" and "we can't do that". I have some time to cancel. I have some thinking to do.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
4 Thank soozon1st
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed October 5, 2009

This past Saturday night, my close friends and I planned to eat at Red, the steakhouse located in the casino. We made a reservation for 4, and changed it a day earlier for 6. The afternoon of our night out, we called to confirm the reservation for 6. When we arrived, they had NO record of our reservation. We waited 20 minutes until we were asked to be seated -only to be led to the neighboring restaurant, the pasta place!

We were seated in the middle of the dining room, and given our menus. Then we waited. And waited. And waited. By the time we ordered drinks and received them, another half an hour had passed by. Mind you - we had to ASK for a drink menu, and weren't even offered a wine list.

Notably, Mr. DeNaples (the owner) and his family were there also, in a back, private dining room, sequestered off by a curtain. Apparently they had a birthday celebration too.

We received our appetizers, and then again - waited, and waited for our dinners. When they did arrive - the food was cold. Apparently, all the waitstaff were required to attend to Mr. DeNaples and his family.... Our empty dinner plates were cleared by a bus person. And then we waited, and waited, and waited. We were not offered a second round of drinks, wine, dessert OR coffee.

This was birthday celebration dinner, and our waiter, Andre was well aware of this. Maurice, his waiter/partner that evening was NEVER seen. We could have spend double what we did, but unfortunately, Mr. DeNaples demands the time and attention of EVERYONE in the restaurant while he is in the building.

The lack of attention was so bad, that I actually had to get up out of my chair and try to find someone to give us the check! I explained the situation to the manager on duty, Michael. He offered me a piece of cake. Mr. DeNaples can keep his cake. He has a nice little chunk of cash from our dinners - mind you, an average dinner plate is about $45! The offering of a piece of cake is not only preposterous, but insulting!

Lastly, when we settled the check, we specified how much was to be charged on a credit card, and how much cash we wanted returned to us. The manager returned all of the cash. Apparently, he wasn't even going to pass our tip on to the server! Despite the lack of service - we always tip!

It's a shame that Mr. DeNaples needs to monopolize his entire wait staff at his own restaurant. Mmmm.... silly me - who was I to think that perhaps this was a BUSINESS, and that the customer ought to receive some service!

I would NEVER go to Red again -nor to any of Mr. DeNaples other restaurants. For a special occasion I highly recommend the Stone Bar, or even Soshi down the road. For the amount of money that you would spend, I can only hope that someone would receive proper service, AND hot food.

Tsk, tsk, tsk Mr. DeNaples!! You should be ashamed of yourself! Especially after just receiving your precious casino back! Btw, happy birthday to your daughter. The cake looked lovely. We were never offered any!!! And we were willing to pay for it!

Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
#1 of 2 in Marshalls Creek
Cove Haven Resort
Cove Haven Resort
#1 of 2 in Lakeville

Been to Mount Airy Casino Resort? Share your experiences!