“Great Weekend...but some changes we don't like”

Paradise Stream Resort
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Mount Pocono
Maryland
“Great Weekend...but some changes we don't like”
Reviewed October 9, 2007

We have visited all of the Caesars’ couple’s resorts. And, we are never disappointed. We had a blast. There have been some changes that we were not thrilled with. The most noticeable was that hey have done away with he the “corny” games!!! The adult-oriented organized activities, which used to be virtually continuous & ongoing, are now minimal, and we missed them. I hope they bring them back soon, because we heard others with the same complaint.

We thought the food was good, and the staff is awesome. As “forever lovers” we got our free upgrade and ended up in the “Champaign towers” (we have paid for a more basic room). YEA!

It was unseasonably warm for October, so we did many, many outdoor activities, including using the outdoor pool!

We will be back, and hope they do more activities.

• Liked — The room! and the facilites
  • Disliked — Lack of organized activities
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
6 Thank momtotwins100

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
Yardley, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 19, 2007

We just returned from a weekend stay @ Paradise Stream...we honeymooned at Paradise Stream in 1982 & have revisited countless times since; over the past 25 years...when we checked in, we were asked if we had ever been there before!!! A more appropriate & warmer greeting would have been -- Welcome Back!!! Francis, the Concierge, was rolling out the red carpet for the honeymooners who were there for the 1st time, while, we, who have been there repeatedly over the years, felt slighted. We stayed in a Lakeside Villa...we loved it...altho, the drawer space is limited to 2 small drawers on either side of the bed & we would have liked to have had an in-room safe. The bed is SO comfortable...much more so than in any of the other accomodations. The entertainment in the nightclub is still top-notch & we met many friendly fun-loving couples, during our stay. But, the adult-oriented organized activities, which used to be virtually continuous & ongoing, are now minimal. The food is horrible!!! The service is worse!!! I could cite SO many examples...Saturday nite, is now "Strip Nite"...they offer you a strip steak, a rib eye steak or a porterhouse steak that they will cook to your liking...I asked for a strip steak/well-done...I was served a charcoal briquette...the meat was burnt...I couldn't cut it...it was inedible...I can't believe they served it to me!!! Sunday nite, we waited 45 minutes for our order to be taken...we had to get up, leave the table & scrounge around for our own silverware/utensils...when we were finally served, the pork was overcooked/rubbery...the potatoes were hard/like mortar & the vegetables were raw...they never asked us if we wanted dessert & forget about having your water glasses refilled...at all meals, the food arrives cold. The breakfast buffets are disgusting...if you want an omelet, be prepared to stand in line for a good 1/2 hour...ditto for the complimentary hors d'oeuvres. Housekeeping did not clean our room til after 4:30pm, on Sunday...and, Winsome, who seated us for most of our meals, was short with us...I didn't care for the way she spoke to us or for her attitude. They are shorthanded, understaffed & ill equipped. Spend your hard earned money elsewhere!!!

• Liked — The Room
  • Disliked — The Food
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank mtaylorp

Travelers are raving about these Mount Pocono hotels

Connecticut
Reviewed July 8, 2007

My husband and I stayed at Paradise Stream for our honeymoon in June 2003. We absolutely loved it. We booked the Apple room, but upon our arrival were told that the Apple room was not available (one couple snuck a baby in and tried to flush the diaper down the toilet and flooded the entire room and another couple brought their dog and needless to say the dog totally wrecked the carpeting). The man at the desk upgraded us to the Cleopatra Champagne Towers Suite for no extra charge! The upgrade was for our entire trip and not just a night or two, so that was very generous. After we checked in, we met with the honeymoon specialist who gave us our welcome package with champagne glasses, t-shirts, bubble bath, a little scrap book and a souvenir tin to take it all home with. When we got to our room, I was a little nervous b/c the outside looks a little rundown, but once you get inside, it's wonderful. We walked in and on the right was a small living area with a fireplace in the center of the room was the tall champagne glass tub and to the left was the in-room pool, totally enclosed in glass. There was a full wall mural in the pool area and it was beautiful. There was a sauna and massage table right near the pool area. The bedroom was upstairs--it had a round bed, a tv, table and chair set and the ceiling had little lights that looked like stars at night. The bathroom was next to the bedroom and that had a steam shower and a small toilet area. You got into the giant tub from the second floor and when I say giant tub, that tub is massive, it takes a while to fill, so start it at least a half hour before you wanna get in there. All I have to say is you don't need to leave your room--only to get dinner and even then you can do room service (we tried it one night, but weren't impressed) The food is great and it's all you can eat for breakfast and dinner. We had our breakfast delivered to our room every morning and I must say this was awesome. You filled out a form each night and picked what you wanted and they brought it--if you wanted 4 orders of eggs or 6 orders of bacon, you got it and it was delicious. They also had a breakfast buffet, but we never went to that. They have 2 pools on the property, they looked nice, but we didn't use them b/c we had our own. They had a little rec center with arcade games and darts, nothing too impressive. We got a free horse and buggy ride included with our honeymoon and that was fun. The shows at night are great, very funny and entertaining. It may seem a little cheesy to some people but it's nice to just let your hair down and have fun. I highly recommend this place to all couples--you won't be disappointed.

• Liked — Couples-Only/All-Inclusive
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2003, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Teresa T
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed June 30, 2007

Okay, folks...I'm writing this in the hopes that this can be of some help to anyone planning to visit Paradise Stream in the Poconos. My husband and I first discovered this place 3 years ago. We spent 2 nights there for our 17th anniversary and just returned from visiting for 2 nights again for our 20th. In all fairness, we were much more "impressed" the first time we stayed. Read on....

Our first stay was in a "new" Diana's Oasis room. We payed $728 all inclusive. We were delighted with the room. It even smelled new! We were shocked as so many of the other reviewers were at the "communal" dining experience, but were lucky to have great people to meet and chat with both nights. We took advantage of some of the activities and the nighttime entertainment which at that time was bingo and horseracing. The food was great. We did our breakfasts in (because we could!) and had no complaints there. Dinner was a nice selection and bountiful, all you could eat, including lobster and steak choices. Mmmm! Dessert was great while I will concur with another reviewer that the ice cream toppings that were offered were adventurous to say the least! Worry not...they were alongside some traditional favorites! We used the gameroom which was just fine. We weren't particularly thrilled with the pricey lunches at the Jungle Cafe but you live and learn. We left there wanting very much to go back.......

Fast forward 3 years later to the present. We were in the thinking stages of wanting to return to Paradise Stream for our 20th anniversary and viola, I received a postcard coupon in the mail offering 50% off the top 2 classes of rooms on weekdays and only $100 more than that on weekends. A fluke? Who cares! I couldn't get to the phone fast enough! This time, we booked the Champagne Towers by Cleopatra, complete with an indoor pool, champagne glass whirlpool, massage table, dry sauna, fireplace (didn't use either time - it was summer) and starlight ceilings over both the bed and whirlpool. So far, so good, right?

There were a number of things during our stay that we overlooked with the idea that the whole reason for the trip was to escape our busy family and work demands and reconnect to celebrate our anniversary. We were going to do this no matter what, but the things we felt the need to "overlook" began to add up.....

We are a 5-hour drive from the resort and arrived at 4:15 (check-in time is 3:30). The desk staff was extremely polite and smiling when they told us our room was NOT ready. They said they had a full house the night before (why is this MY problem?), that there was "1 ahead" of us and offered to call us on a cellphone when the room became available. I gave them our cell number and we decided to go for a stroll. One hour later at 5:15, I returned to the same smiling, polite desk staff, having never been called, to find that the room was indeed ready. They didn't try to appease us in any way by offering a complimentary drink, or lunch or whatever, which would've been nice. They just kept smiling at us. I'll call this "overlook #1.

I chuckled to myself when I learned that a full 3 years after our stay in the Diana's Oasis, that the rooms are still being called "new"! How new can they still be after 3 years???

Upon arriving at the Champagne room, my first impression was that the outside of the door and surrounding area was FILTHY with what looked like hundreds of dead insects. They were everywhere, on the ground, imbedded in the walls, smeared over the door, etc. I don't know if there' s a whole lot that can be done about this, but it seems like they might've invested in a small pressure washer or something......overlook #2

We steppped inside to a nice cool room (which was appreciated on a hot summer day) but our first thought was that it was really DARK. Really, really dark! Well, we made our way around finding lights and discovering all the amenities. The indoor pool room was perfectly climatized (warmer than the rest of the room) and the pool was very clean and the perfect temperature. This included the tile deck surrounding the pool until I did find 2 hairs on the deck, wiped these up, making up my mind that I wasn't going to call housekeeping because of 2 hairs. Still.........a little creepy. Overlook #3. Upon attempting to enter the pool later, we discovered that the bottom of 2 steps was broken completely through. Getting in and out of the pool would be interesting for those that are vertically challenged (short!) to be sure! Overlook #4.

The massage table was nice, had a heat lamp over it, and was very clean, as was the dry sauna.

Up the stairs to the top level finds a round king-size bed and a sizeable bathroom with a stepoff into the champagne glass whirlpool. It looked dirty at first, but on closer inspection, we found that the "spots" we were seeing were actually on the outside of the bottom of the bath between the tub and the base. The whirlpool was, in fact, clean. It did take forever to fill, but we took this into consideration the rest of the times we used it. The refrigerator was situated behind the door in the vanity area of the bathroom and was in deplorable condition. The only thing it was was cold. I guess that's why they haven't replaced it yet, but the rubber was peeling from the shelves, the shelves were broken and the gasket seal all around the outer edge was falling apart! But like I said, it kept things cold, so overlook #5. There are 3 red "mood" lights over the whirlpool tub and one of them was burned out.

The chairs at the 2-seat table in the bedroom and living room "couches" (and I use that term loosely) are VERY outdated and need replaced. We just didn't use them. Overlook #6. It wan't until very late on the second night that we found yellow candle wax in the middle of the bedspread. We just took it completely off the bed and threw it in the corner. Overlook #7. We also noticed some trim peeling of of the living room table that could do some real damage to your clothing or even your shin if you weren't being careful.

The first time we stayed 3 years ago included a Saturday and Sunday night. We LOVED all the food. This time, we stayed Sunday and Monday night and the food was considerably less satisfying in quality. I had a baked half-chicken (fine) on mashed potatoes (watery and mushy) with steamed vegetables (again, fine). But everything was piled on top of each other. Hubby had scrod and the portion was very, very tiny. Others at our table had pasta and were very dissatisfied with that. The second night, I had tenderloin and hubby had prime rib. He said it was a bit small, but he liked it. Dessert the second night was a chocolate fountain with various fruits and cakes for dipping. It was yummy! The wait staff on both nights was very, very nice.

On our first visit, we used both the outdoor and indoor mini golf areas, the bocce courts, the archery and horseshoes. We looked forward to doing the same this time only to find that the outdoor golf area had been completely rundown with only 4 golf balls, no pencils, no scorecards and very few putters in a wooden "case" that looked as though someone had taken a baseball bat to it. The indoor area didn't even exist anymore!! They were using it for storage during some apparent remodeling. We ventured over to the gameroom and were extremely disappointed to find that at least half of the video games were out of order!! We did manage a game of pool, some ping-poing and a little basketball. The bocce, horseshoes and archery were pretty well maintained and they even changed the archery targets both days that we were there. The outdoor and indoor pools (we didn't use them but were around them) seemed clean and well-kept including the deck area and chairs. They are building what looks like a firepit or a fountain near the pool and have gas torches all around the perimeter which they light each night at dusk where they have the appetizers and drinks before dinner. Very nice.

What we did differently on this visit was to definitely bring our own candles, alcohol, snacks, bubble bath and anything else we didn't want to pay inflated prices for. We knew this going in so we weren't real "cranky" about it and instead, came prepared. We didn't go to any of the evening entertainment this time around. Hubby and I are always afraid to be plucked out of the audience and be made fools of, and as they were doing an x-rated not-so-newlywed game, etc., we decided against it.

It just seems that somebody there doesn't care anymore, and is letting a lot of both the material things and the customer service aspects of it go to the wayside. Very, very sad, as it would appear that it's the only place of its kind. We met a couple who actually traveled in from Las Vegas because they had heard all about the Poconos and wanted to experience for themselves. How disappointed must THEY have been???

Finally, I filled out a comment card about all of the above which was to be "put in the locked box in the lobby." Well, there wasn't a "locked box" for the comment cards so it was collected by the very friendly front desk staff who proceeded to toss it aside. It begs the question of where my comments ended up. Probably in the garbage can.

Will we return to Paradise Stream in the future? Perhaps......but you can rest assured that I will be asking A LOT of questions before we do. Also, a friendly couple we had dinner with said that the Roman Towers (Champagne) at Pocono Palace are much more updated that those at Paradise Stream. In looking at candid traveler photos online of both the Cove Haven resort and the Pocono Palace, we might want to try one of these. Also, I was extremely pleased to have had this whole experience at 50% what I COULD have paid! Sheesh! I will watch my mail for more of those coupons and/or exhaust all my resources to try and get the best rate as I would NOT return to this resort while paying full published brochure prices.

I hope this helps in your decision about whether or not to stay here. I think if you prepare yourself for some of what we experienced, you can sidestep some of this stuff. Good luck! Hope this helped!

• Liked — See review
  • Disliked — See review
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
19 Thank Can'tWaitForDisney
Philadelphia
Reviewed May 28, 2007

We decided to go for a nice weekend away in the poconos for memorial day weekend. We booked a terrible place that looked great online, called the chateau resort. After checking out the chateau we decided we had to get out of there. Luckily, Caesars paradise stream was close. Talk about night and day! They had rooms available on Friday night, and this is a real resort. The food is included, and the pools are well maintained and practically unused. The dining room can be an issue if you do not like sitting with other couples. However, you can politely request to sit by yourselves. They will put you on a list and you come back later. It is not difficult at all to have a private table, if that is what you prefer. The lake is stocked with fish, and they are tagged to win prizes. The mini golf course is a little run down, but the signs indicated that the place is still renovating. Regardless, it was a great time. No kids running around, and freedom to do nearly anything you want. The booze is really expensive, but there is a beer place down the road. The staff is incredible! Everyone is very nice and helpful. I saw one staff member solve a problem of a petty complaint effortlessly (honestly who complains that they have to choose between steak and lobster, when they wanted both steak and lobster). The food is never ending and a little overwhelming. Breakfast, happy hour (5-7) and dinner (7-9). We did not even eat every time we had the chance.
Also, if you do not like the amenities, Caesar's Brookdale is right down the road. If you are staying at one resort, you can use the amenities (food included) at any of the other Caesar's resorts in the Poconos. If you cannot put a good time together with 4 resorts to chose from, then you will never be happy.
I highly recommend this resort for a getaway weekend.

• Liked — Clean, no kids, great staff
  • Disliked — Lake smelled like dead fish, mini golf run-down
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
29 Thank cenci75
west babylon ny
Reviewed May 24, 2007

We just returned from a nice 3 night 4 day getaway in the pocono mountains. we stayed at paradise stream in '' the lakeside villas''. The room had just been remodeled and everything was new. We enjoyed the area ,shopping and siteseeing and enjoyed tthe grounds at the resort. The food and service was good, Not excellent but good. everything was clean and the staff was friendly. We took advantage of a midweek special and saved some money as caesars resorts can be expensive. We are looking forward to going back in the fall. We had a great time. This is a nice resort for couples. Give it a try for your next getaway.

• Liked — clean,private.
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
27 Thank cjcdjc
Philadelphia
Reviewed April 12, 2007

I had heard alot about Caesars living in Philadelphia but had never gone because it was so expensive. I had an opportunity to go in July of 2006 for the weekend because they were running a special.

We stayed at the Champagne Towers in Paradise Stream.

When we pulled up to the door it looked like a motel. I was worried we had been deceived by the pictures but once we opened the door and stepped inside it looked just like the pictures.

It was too warm to use the fireplace but the pool was wonderful and the water was warm. We spent alot of time there. The shower was big enough for two and we loved the champagne whirlpool.

The food was as expected for an all-inclusive. We did a few outdoor activities but mainly enjoyed the room.

We ordered room service for breakfast one but would not recommend it. If you something extra you have to wait for them to bring it back. Plus the food and coffee were warm. A minor inconvienence.

The sauna was not working so we called maintenance. They care right away and fixed it. We used it and it was okay. We went to use it the next day and it was out again. We didn't feel like calling again.

There is no dvd player and the tv's are small. Could use some minor upgrades for the price but all in all a wonderful time.

• Liked — champagne whirlpool
  • Disliked — sauna kept breaking
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
#1 of 7 in Mount Pocono
Skytop Lodge
Skytop Lodge
#1 of 1 in Skytop

Been to Paradise Stream Resort? Share your experiences!