“Almost Middle of the Road”

Comfort Inn & Suites
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Mount Pocono
Newtown, Pennsylvania
“Almost Middle of the Road”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2009

We were meeting a family member and needed an affordable overnight place to stay--a difficult find in the Poconos on a summer weekend. The Comfort Inn seemed to be the best compromise between quality, location, and price based on other reviews.

Our stay almost met my middling expectations. On the plus side, the bed was comfortable, the room was clean--but a bit musty--and the lobby area was well kept.

On the down side, the TV remote had to be aimed directly at the satellite dish box, which was blocked by the TV itself from the main viewing area. This made changing channels cumbersome. In the evening, we used the hotel pool and there were no dry towels. It took almost a half hour after the initial call to have towels delivered by the night manager (the only staff member we saw in the evening).

The breakfast buffet setup was very hard to navigate. It was in a room that was only 3-4 feet maximum wide for walking, requiring guests to jostle one another as they entered and left the area. The complimentary breakfast itself was somewhat spartan--hardboiled eggs from a hermetically sealed plastic bag constituted most of the "hot" breakfast. The single Belgian waffle maker was inadequate for the number of people seeking to use it. And because of the line to make waffles, the problems due to the narrow layout of the room were exacerbated While cold cereal was plentiful, the hotel ran out of milk. With both a Walmart and K-mart within .5 miles, this could easily have been avoided or remedied--but it was not.

In summary, the ratings we saw of area hotels at the lower-middle end of the price spectrum in Mount Pocono were not heartening. This was the best in its class, a bit above average. Our experience was that The Choice Inn may be best-in-class in Mount Pocono, but if our experience was typical, expect a slightly below average stay.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DrBB

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Benezette, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2009

We were on a casino hopping adventure ending with Mt Airy. My car decided to have transmission trouble so we sought an Inn. It was 1 AM and storming out. I had a Pennsylvania Travelers Book from one of the Visitor Centers with a coupon for the Comfort Inn.
I found the guy at the front desk to be very helpful and he was able to honor the coupon. All we needed was nice room and a good shower. Well, we got that and a lot more.
This hotel has
indoor corridors...always a plus when you are unfamiliar with your surroundings.
a very nice lobby... with marble floors and a gorgeous floor to ceiling fireplace with plenty of chairs.
a convenience room with arcade...ice, pop, and candy machines
nice size rooms...comfortable bed, easy chair with ottoman, good water pressure, air worked well, and very clean.
more than adequate free deluxe continental breakfast...restaurant style waffle maker with easy use, lots of coffee and juice, fruit, yogurt, donuts (but plain box variety, pass on those calories)
indoor pool... saw several people enjoying themselves
fitness room...I get my exercise in the casino. lol
Someone always at the desk and eager to help.
A Walmart and a KMart nearby. I-380 is < 3 miles west and Mt AIry is < 3 miles east.
I liked this place.
Benny

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Benezett
NYC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2009

The Staff members at this hotel were very dishonest. After inquiry on room availability, a request was made to hold the room, not reserve. A subsequent call was made to cancel the hold yet the staff charged my credit card! Not only did they charge my card, they proceeded to charge me twice, stating that I reserved 2 rooms!! When I attempted to resolve this issue with the manger he was most uncooperative and hung up! This is a hotel with dishonest staff. I will make sure my family and I will never stay here.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Mount Pocono hotels

New York City
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2009

For the following reasons I would never stay at this hotel again.
1. Poor air quality in rooms: We booked a suite for us and our two children (we were a total of four). In the first room (Room 104), the housekeeping did not leave the air on, so the smell was horrible & the room was musty. Even the manager noticed the foul odor. They then moved us to the room next door; slightly better air quality. But as someone else pointed out, when you leave the air on, it blows the curtains open and they stay open, allowing the early morning light in.
2. Dirty - The rug was dirty. Behind the furniture had huge accumulations of dust (I found a pen from a prior visitor behind the furniture and a hangar under one of the beds, under the other bed there was a lot of dust). The jacuzzi tub was dirty - as I wiped my hand on the interior, I found white residue all over it. There was a lot of hair in the tub also. Housekeeping never vacuumed the rug while we were there. The same crumbs were on the rug the whole weekend. When I went to find housekeeping to ask them for clean towels (they actually took our wet floor towel and rolled it up and put it with the "clean towels" above the toilet) they did not respond to my repeated "hello's..." & knocks on the door from the room they were cleaning. I had to go to the front desk to ask for a dry floor towel. The hall carpet outside our room was riddled with large stains.
3. Pool - Do not go in! It was filthy! There was a black ring around the entire pool; from the water level to the top edge. I had to take the kids out after a few minutes because my son's eyes began to swell and turned extremely red from the chemicals. Oh, there were no clean towels in the pool area; we had to call the front desk for them - they were small and scratchy.
4. While I was blow drying my hair in the room; I noticed a lot of steam in the room. I commented to my husband that there was too much steam and I was afraid that the smoke alarms would go off - guess what it did. Now I would think that someone would come to investigate the alarm - we were on the first floor around the corner from the front desk. NO ONE CAME TO CHECK OUT THE FIRE ALARM. I opened to door to let out the steam and my husband silenced the alarm. After a few minutes of staring at each other, we realized that no one was coming, so WE called the front desk. Their response was (and I quote verbatim) "No problem." That was it. Imagine if you're staying at this hotel and there was a real situation?
5. The lighting was inadequate. The desk lamp was broken. The television in the bed area did not work, and lastly the screws were coming out of security lock on our door. You will be charged daily for your safe ($1.50/day); but it did not look sturdy so we never used it. They had to manually remove this charge from our bill.
Front desk staff was very nice, but understaffed and not efficient.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
nc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2009

We were checking at the same time as a large wedding party, and though we waited a little while for the clerks to clear each guest, we were received at the desk with the utmost courtesy and reguard for our comfort. check-in was fine.
Our stay for family business over four nights was always clean and very quiet, Housekeeping was always courteous. The front desk couldn't be more attentive and responsive to our needs . Our electronic room keys failed after 24 hours, but qouckly remedied.
Our bed was very comfortable. We had NO bed bugs. I don't believe that review reporting bed bugs.
H. N. Davis

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Pennington, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2009

I have never found a decent hotel in the Poconos. I would say this is probably the best one I've stayed in, but I still was not comfortable. The signs hawking the safe and saying the hotel was not responsible for break-ins when I arrived did not fill me with confidence. The woman at the desk was harried, disorganized, and made me wait while she was on the phone. She seemed confused, and spent a lot of time outside smoking as I came and went. (The smoking area should NOT be right in front of the door--nonsmokers should not have to walk through that smelly gauntlet and smoke blew into the lobby).

My room was not clean enough. This is a huge issue for me. All the rest of the comments are secondary to cleanliness when I travel. There was hair and other debris on the carpet, especially around the edges--you know, like it was quickly vacuumed by a kid. I felt like I couldn't go barefoot in the room. I had a "suite," but there was a big ugly empty space where a TV was supposed to be, facing the living area. (there was a TV you could view while sitting in the bed) The couch and chair were stained and old. Though it was cool out, it was very stuffy in, I needed to run the air all night, and they had it set so I was unable to make it cool enough, even turned all the way up. I slept poorly, mostly because the way the air was designed, it blew the curtains away from the window all night and the bright light shined in my face. Some of the outlets had no cover on them. And the carpet in the hallway outside the room was stained and needed vacuuming. There were ceiling tiles missing in the hall, exposing some pipes. Nothing was leaking, but it looked bad.

A small complaint, but there were no tissues in the room.

Breakfast was bad, too. Based on the other comments, it seems like it depends on when you arrive whether it's OK or not. Coffee was out, waffle mix seemed old and separated, the yogurt and milk were out. If you want to eat healthy, no way. Not even a banana.

The work area (desk and light) were adequate, but there aren't enough plugs and I needed to leave electronics all over the place to charge. An adapter with 6 plugs near the desk would be nice.

All that said, I probably will stay again if I have to be in the Poconos for business. Hotels in the Poconos are seedy in general (as are restaurants, BTW), and this hotel was the least bad I have found. It was fairly convenient to my meetings and easy to find by address, though it didn't show up on my GPS by name. I found it quiet and the internet worked well (2 other important points for me). It may not seem so from this review, but I am not a picky traveler. If this hotel was anywhere but the Poconos I would not stay again, but since it is, I probably will.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Washington, DC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2009

Stayed one night April 2009. Arrived in the evening.

No one out at front desk area when I arrived. Rang the bell. Very easy check-in. Room was average. Clean. Read previous accounts and no bed bugs to be seen/felt. Bathroom clean. Everything worked/functional in the room and bathroom.

Gentleman at the front desk was nice, but I had to go back to the front desk three times within the first half hour, each time ringing the bell. I felt like I was disturbing something really important going on in the back, but: 1) I was only given one room key for two people. 2) No towels in the pool area. 3) Problem understanding how the two TV remotes work.

The lobby was spacious, nice & clean.

Off to the hot tub in the pool area. When I got there the jets were already on and there was some kind of foam coming out and covered almost half the tub. I’ve been in lots of hot tubs and don’t recall seeing all this foam. Unsure what it was. My boyfriend was very uncomfortable with it and didn’t stay in there long. Yikes, what was it, ‘cuz I stayed in.

The rooms had paper-thin walls and you could hear hall noise very clearly - & why are kids out of their rooms in the halls playing after midnight (1st floor) - and also heard the adjacent room’s conversation closer to 2 am. Not a great night’s sleep, but I had a comfortable bed to lie wide awake in.

Last thing is the continental breakfast. My boyfriend was out of the room a bit after 6 am and came back to the room with two waffles and a bowl of cheerios, coffee, juice and it seemed like he really enjoyed it.

I don't recall the exact time I went down, sometime between 8 and 9 and no more waffle batter & the coffee was almost out, as was the milk. The continental breakfast was until 10.

I got a few small doughnuts and found they tasted a bit stale. Tried to get an apple. The three that were out were wrinkly and soft. No thanks. Ate the semi-stale donuts and drank the coffee.

There you have it – two entirely different opinions of the same breakfast. Someone did come in and refill the waffle batter, coffee and milk while I was eating the doughnuts because I went back and got another cup of coffee before heading back to the room and noticed a full container of coffee & people making waffles.

Don’t get me wrong, there were more items there for the taking, but this was all I tried.

Check-out was a breeze. Saw the cleaning staff on the way out. Everyone was very friendly. The lady at the desk was great, very enjoyable. Out in a flash.

Probably would not go back. The hot tub/pool area is a big deal to us, as is a good night’s sleep. I also wish someone kept a more vigilant eye out on what was running out at breakfast. Also fresh fruit and donuts please.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Paradise Stream Resort
Paradise Stream Resort
#2 of 7 in Mount Pocono
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,474 reviews

Been to Comfort Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!