“Charming and Welcoming”

Ranked #1 of 10 Mount Joy B&B and Inns
Fresh Meadows, New York
“Charming and Welcoming”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

A charming and welcoming place to stay in the heart of Mount Joy. The Innkeeper is very punctual and straight to the point. We left a little after 11am and we got a knock on the door saying 11am was check out. The ladies clearning the room didn't seem to mind and were so sweet. Other than that, everything was very nice. We felt like we were home away from home. Really cute chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting with free coffee, teas. I loved the personal touch and the decorations with a twist of charm. Rooms are a bit small but it adds to coziness and warmth. We stayed on the second floor. We would go back and stay there again!

Room Tip: I hear the carriage house is nice and private.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
OldeSquareInn, Owner at The Olde Square Inn, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
This was a delightful couple amongst a great group of guests this particular time. They appreciated the art of food and what we had presented and created for breakfast. Just one little exception to this review, check out is on the confirmation and website as 11. When I came to give a little knock to say check out is at 11 I had looked at the clock before knocking on the door and it was 11:20 a.m.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Room: Elizabeth Anne

My wife and I stayed here on New Years Eve…
Georgie corresponded via email and business was handled professionally,… confirmed reservation particulars and checked in times.

Greeted by Georgie, Paul and Jack (Jack is the family dog).
Our room was very cozy and the gas fireplace was a very delightful touch
Nice hot water cast iron radiators heat the room, not like the forced hot air in Hotels that dry the air out and carry the air borne germs
Nice old wood work and décor was very inviting, bathroom fixtures were really cool as well.
The bed was comfortable
We also checked out the other rooms and each was unique in it own way,…Very Nice
Would be a great place to stay in the summer, swimming pool, gardens and comfortable porches up off street level and second floor balcony to sit outside and enjoy.
Breakfast was served in a friendly atmosphere, engaging conversations with fun life experiences to tell…
Georgie and Paul are very knowledgeable of the surrounding areas and very helpful with ideas to make your experience exciting…
This B&B is located right smack in the middle of an area that is rich with German/Irish history and offers excellent eats, friendly pubs and really neat historical places to tour….
The Clip Clop coming from the horses hoofs pulling Amish buggies down the street and to the delightful experience of rural Pennsylvania
My wife and I have stayed in B&Bs in Nova Scotia, Boston, Savannah Ga, Watkins Glen NY Waterville Canada & Washington Dc

Each was a unique experience in its own right…

I read some of the other reviews and felt some were little off….knowing how these older structures were constructed, this place has perfect character,… as I was raised on a working farm and this place brought back very pleasant memories..
If you want to stay in a Hotel with kids running down the halls and guest coming in and out all hours of the night with the cold sterile atmosphere then book a room at them…

Most B&B Inn owners are people like you and me.....they have family and their own lives too..Being at everyone’s beck and call 24/7 is unrealistic, it takes a lot of effort to meet with all the different demands in today’s society…

We feel that our overall experience was Super!

Thanks again,…hang in there…Bob & Robynn

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you most kindly for your review. You were both very lovely and appreciative of an innkeeper and the inn. I am glad you enjoyed your stay here and we would hope your return to us! You bring joy to an innkeeper and we certainly enjoyed serving you.
Willow Street, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 30, 2013

My husband made the reservation at this B&B because the ones were we usually stay were booked. Now I know why this B&B not only had a room available, but we were the only guests staying there.

On Wednesday I received an email from Georgie, the innkeeper, asking what time we were going to check in between 4 and 6. My husband said he would call her the next day. I got home the next day to find a voice mail from Georgie. She sounded annoyed, saying she had sent an email and she really needed to know what time we would arrive because she was not going to be there and had to make arrangements for someone else to greet us. I had the feeling she was being inconvenienced by us staying there. After he called her we received an email, which I think had a very passive-aggressive tone, writing, in part :" We will warmly greet you at 4:00 on Friday. Staff will not be here before 4:00."

My husband arrived at 3:45, admittedly 15 minutes early, and was greeted by Georgie, who was annoyed but took him to the room. I arrived an hour later. There was a post-it note on the front door about "Don't use this lock". As I stepped inside my first view was of a large white towel spread out on the floor at the bottom of the steps. Was I to wipe my feet on that?

The room was small but fine. There was a fern that was half dead and every time you brushed against it the dead bits dropped off. There was also a plant with one leaf on the window sill and another mostly dead plant in the bathroom.

The bathroom light was on the far side of the bathroom mirror, so you had to search for it every time you went in. The one person whirlpool tub was not large enough for one person to relax in.

The fireplace would have been a nice touch but the loud clicking from the timer was just too annoying. Other than the bed there were just two wicker chairs to sit on. Each had a cushion with a towel covering it.

For you regular B&B stayers, you know how there is usually coffee, tea, and something yummy to eat in the common area? Here there was a Keurig coffee maker and next to it was a jar with a post-it note: "Honor system. Keurig coffee $1.25 per cup." NEVER have I seen such a thing. And in a bowl outside of the room were two packs of peanut butter crackers and a box or raisins.

At 12:06 AM the alarm in the next room went off. It was heard loud and clear. Luckily the door was unlocked so my husband could turn it off. But I was left wondering what else could be heard one room to the next had there been anyone else staying at the place.

In the morning my husband went out to get me coffee (not paying for her Keurig). I could here every word spoken downstairs when he returned. When we were talking upstairs I felt like we had to whisper or everything we said would be heard downstairs.

At this point I must tell you that I was drinking the coffee my husband had brought for me and as he was getting into bed he knocked my arm as I was taking a sip and some splashed out. It got on two pillows and the sheet, and me. I used a towel to get it off me, and removed the light blue pillow case and rinsed it to get the coffee out since, being blue, it couldn't be bleached. The sheets were white so could be bleached.

We came down at 8:30 for breakfast. I had that uncomfortable feeling that we shouldn't be a minute late or the innkeeper would be annoyed. Instead of a tablecloth there were small cloth place mats. Breakfast was small glass of orange juice, an omelet, HALF an english muffin, and a small blueberry muffin. It was fine but nothing great. This time coffee was in a carafe and it was free. When I put my coffee mug on the table, Georgie quickly told me to, 'Pop that on top of the saucer, please.' If she is fussy with her table, she should use a tablecloth.

We left by the 11:00 check-out. I left the pillow case that I had rinsed in the sink. Everything was left in order.

On the porch as we left there was a white towel spread out on the ground. Just odd . . . .

While I was driving home my daughter called me. She said someone had just called her (I assume Georgie) and sounded really annoyed and told her we had left the room a mess. My daughter gave the woman my cell phone number. She did not call me. I received an email saying "We were shocked when we found our linens, towels covered in blood with no warning from you folks."

How can one not be able to distinguish coffee from blood? How could huge amounts of blood get on the bed?? And this line: "You even used a pillow sham on the floor and it had blood on it." What does that mean? Does that mean that it was on the floor in the room? I left nothing on the floor. Does that mean we used the pillow sham but it was for decorative purposes only? Yes, we did use it to sit up in bed because there were only two sleeping pillows on the bed. Yes, the coffee did spill on it. And again, can't tell the difference between coffee and blood?

Please also note that the price quoted is when paying with cash. A surcharge is added for credit card payments. Only 2%, but really?

This is definitely one to cross off the list.

5 Thank joanneandsteve4
These guests left the inn never telling us the huge amount of damage they did to all the linens on the bed, coverlets, bedspreads, pillows and the towels. They even helped themselves into the linen closet and retrieved things to only soil them. When they were confronted on this I was told "who cares about your crappy linens and I will object to any charges for them." Even when a call was made to this woman there was never any apology, remorse or telling us what was on the linens when discovered. The honorable thing to do was tell us when it happened, what it was and apologize. Instead we receive wrath on social media that is not deserved. This woman was not with the registered guest upon arrival. I met her in the morning coming down to breakfast and she did not want to engage in any conversation for which we respected.
Bridgeton, New Jersey
Reviewed December 19, 2013

This place was awesome . We loved everything about our stay. The Inn was extremely charming. There was an exceptional attention to detail applied to everything from the room down to the delicious breakfast. The Inn keeper ( Georgie ) was very gracious and inviting. We are already planning another visit. If you are planning anything in the Lancaster are ( and you should) the location is perfect. We can honestly recommend it.
Richard and Julia Jones

Do return to us!
We love having guests such as yourselves.
Thank you.
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed December 12, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Inn for one night while visiting Hershey. We stayed in the the Elizabeth Anne room, which was quite nice and very clean. The fireplace gave the room a cozy, romantic feel, especially on a very cold night. The Inn itself is charming. It has a second story deck and nice side porch that looked like they would be great places to relax during the summer time. The egg's Benedict we had for breakfast was delicious (not to mention the homemade fruit crumbles)! Georgie, the innkeeper, was very friendly and gave us some great suggestions for places to eat dinner up in Hershey. We would definitely stay here again if we are ever up in the Hershey/Mt Joy area.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
OldeSquareInn, Owner at The Olde Square Inn, responded to this review, December 14, 2013
We are always grateful when a guest takes the time to write a review. Our guest is the voice that gets us out there into the world and encourages others to come for the experience.
Hoping you return to us and refer us to friends and family coming to visit in the area!
Chestertown, Maryland
Reviewed November 26, 2013

First off, the pictures do not do this B&B justice. We stayed in the Carriage House and it was beautiful, roomy, and romantic. Georgie, the innkeeper, had great suggestions for dinner and made a delicious breakfast. Highly recommend the Olde Square Inn!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
OldeSquareInn, Owner at The Olde Square Inn, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. You our guest is the one who makes a difference in the life of a Bed and Breakfast! We appreciate your blessing us with your kind words.
Waynesboro, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 24, 2013

This newly renovated bed and breakfast was quite lovely. My husband and I stayed for two nights and it was very quiet. The breakfasts were fantastic and Georgie was so very helpful in everything we asked of her. I highly recommend this bed and breakfast in the heart of Amish country.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
OldeSquareInn, Owner at The Olde Square Inn, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Thank you for your graciousness and restoring my faith in people! You made my day with your kindness and generosity. You are the guest who make owning a Bed and Breakfast a great experience. These guests were here the same time, same breakfast, same inn as the "watch what you say" review was posted.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mount Joy
Comfort Suites
Comfort Suites
#4 of 7 in Manheim
EJ Bowman House Bed and Breakfast

Been to The Olde Square Inn? Share your experiences!