“Unusual but fun”

Catacombs at Bube's Brewery
Ranked #10 of 45 Restaurants in Mount Joy
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Barrington, New Jersey
“Unusual but fun”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2009

We visited Bube's based on recommendations. The evening we dined in the bottling room, there was a murder mystery, 70's disco, art show all going on. We did not chose the catacombs but the place was busy. The food was usual pub fare, the chees puff were unusually good. The service was good and the choice of beers outstanding. You can get a sampler of 5 4oz glasses to see what you like. I would recommend this place for it's unusual location and pub food.

NJ
“Truly aweful”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2009

Based on some good reviews of Bube's we took a large detour to have dinner there on a trip to Gettysburg. When we arrived it looked promising in a kind of funky old-brewery eclectic way . Waitresses were in a weird dirndl-like getup, and there were three dining ares to chose from. Since we didn't have reservations, the subterranean upscale "Catacombs" were out (and mucho $$$). A little chilly for outdoors, so the casual "Bottling Room" it was, which was a dark, tight, kinda dirty bar/pub that sat ~60-70. Then it went downhill.

We waited 30 mins while they tried to find menus (??) so they could seat us in the half empty room. The greeter and waitstaff were completely disorganized and no one seemed to be running the ship, or even cared that we waited another 20 minutes for drink orders after we were finally seated. The meal took another 45 minutes to arrive, which seemed even longer since we were starved.

This gave us plenty of time to soak in the "atmosphere", such as it was. The "Bottling Room" was dark, dank, dirty, and very loud for a half full room. We were seated near the stage, which thankfully wasn't in current use, but we got to watch the band setup for their soon to start gig. It was an extra special treat to watch as the bandmembers repeatedly entered and exited through a side door in the men's room, which opened up directly into the Bottling Room. Yep - full view of the interior of the men's room from the tables in the back half of the room. Sweet!

The long awaited and anticipated food finally arrived. My wife had some totally forgettable chicken dish, but I will never forget my Bube's Turkey Burger. It was specially fortified with extra calcium - the largest bone chips I've ever seen or chipped a tooth on! Literally the size of Ticonderoga pencil erasers! I thought I had split a molar, but convinced myself that it was ok just to get out of there ASAP. When I gave my half-eating burger back to the waitress and explained the reason it was half eaten, she said something about telling the kitchen - no look of horrified embarrassment, no apology, no reduction in the bill (it seemed a normal occurrence to her). I should have asked to see the management, but I don't really think they would have cared by the looks of the operation.

BTW: if you are a brewery featuring your own brews, they better be at least good. I had a supposedly Octoberfest brew - which was basically OK, but it had a strange flavor, definitely not an Octoberfest.

In summary, we found nothing not to hate about this place, and would go a long way out of our way to avoid this place in the future. If you value your dental work, I'd recommend you do the same.

5 Thank carib_jim
Lancaster, PA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Loads of food, fun, and a bit of fantasy...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2008

Bube's Brewery is a totally unique dining experience and destination restaurant, one that combines history with delicious food (in 4 very different environments), music, theater, and even an occasional paranormal visitation! There is always something exciting happening at Bube's, and every taste in cuisine, libation and entertainment is available. Tucked away in the little town of Mount Joy, Bube's is a delight for locals as well as out-of-towners, and the goal of management is always customer satisfaction. Give it a try ... you'll be back (and you might even start to believe in ghosts!)

1 Thank TempleBayley
manheim, pa
“This place is REALLY unique”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2008

I just found this TripAdvisor website and thought I would look up some of my favorite places to go. Being from Lancaster County I thought it would be good to give my opinion of some of my favorite haunts. Bube's is one of them. This place is not your usual run of the mill place. First of all it is almost like a huge museum. There is more than one restaurant and each one is completely different and has a different menu. A lot of the employees are young, so, sometimes they tell you crazy ghost stories. None of that bothers me because I love the atmosphere!
I have been there many times and for many different reasons. My company held a private feast years ago (my first time) and we all had a wonderful time! The food was simple, but, very good. The characters play tricks on you in between their acting. It was a lot of fun. I have since been back to other feasts. They have 4 or so to choose from (pirate, Halloween, Roman, etc.).
I have eaten in the Bottling Works and usually enjoy it. The menu is really large and I think that might be difficult to live up to. I order the same items and am very happy with my choices. (Tenderloin tips or chicken scampi) When the beergarden is open the wait can be long since they do not have reservations for this area. This is a very popular spot. It is really nice sitting outside in the beergarden in the summertime. If you go on weekends they have a band. Sometimes the music is a little loud, but, some of the bands are really good. Also, there is music outside in the beergarden on Sundays during the summertime.
The Catacombs is a fine dining restaurant. I would call this a special occasion kind of place since the food is a little expensive. I have eaten there a couple times and really enjoyed myself. The food is very rich. Their wine list is small but has excellent choices. And, I can't forget the beer. I can't say that I am a beer expert, but, I always enjoy at least one of their own Bube's beers. What I like best is that they are not hoppy. So many microbrews are. I just don't get why people like that flavor. It is not for me and luckily the majority of Bube's beers don't overdo with the hops. Because of that, the beer goes with the food. Bube's brews their beers right on the premises. If you are a beer person, you can see the brewery.
This is a very neat place perfect for fun people!

2 Thank hungrytravelbug
Dallas, TX
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not an enjoyable experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2008

I was visiting Mount Joy, PA and saw that the Catacombs at Bube’s Brewery was a find dinning restaurant. My financee and were given a tour of the brewery before our dinner by a high school student who had clearly recited her speech a number of times. The catacombs underground had a great feel – very intimate. Service however was horrible. The “cocktail waitress” who was clueless about the types of drinks they served was not knowledgeable about the locally produced beer. When we were served our bread it was as if the bread was not cooked long enough. I was later told that someone had accidentally dripped water on the plate and the bread was cooked. The dinners were poor. I ordered the Seafood Mornay which was decent. The shrimp was rather small however and lobster piece were non-existent. My rice was so dried out that I could not even eat it. If you want good atmosphere and do not care about the food, this is the place to go.

1 Thank aliceinw0nderland