“Save your money.”

Cameron Estate Restaurant
Ranked #10 of 46 Restaurants in Mount Joy
“Save your money.”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

My husband and I went to the estate just for dinner. Our first date since having our second child. We should have went somewhere else. We chose the 5 course prefixed where you can choose any salad, entree and dessert but not the soup and sorbet after your salad. This was a nice sampling of what they had to offer. Soup was good. The Cameron Estate salad was okay but all you tasted was the blueberry dressing and nothing else. My husband's Caesar salad was excellent. We were given bread with our soups and it was a joke. It looked like they took one roll and cut it into 5 slices that were hard like croutons before we received it. Luckily we could ask for more because I needed it to fill up my belly for the entree. My husband ordered the filet and crab cake. Filet was cooked well but the crab cake was brunt on the bottom and he couldn't eat it. The presentation of both entrees was terrible. On an undersized plate on a lump of potatoes surrounded by kale and red peppers. Terrible. My dish (which was more expensive than my husband's) was a the lamb chop. I received the same presentation but only ONE lamb chop standing straight up. I could not believe I paid $32 for ONE lamb chop. Let me say that again ONE SMALL lamb chop. It was so encrusted with black peppercorns that you couldn't take the meat only pepper. The pepper got on everything else and my breath was on fire for the rest of the night. I would save you fine dining experience for somewhere else. Food below par, service okay, atmosphere is stuffy, scenery is nice.

1 Thank Mathlaw

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
“Nice restaurant based on Easter Lunch only (so far)”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Three of us had the five course Easter meal, so although we would go back and may update the review at that point. Prices for the five-course ranged from $35 for the vegetarian to $49 for the beef tenderloin. We were seated in the outdoor (heater) porch in a great corner table with a great view. This a major selling point of the restaurant. The service was very friendly but lacked in high end restaurant polish, especially when it came to handling the wines. The wine list was not extensive and tended to have the best options in the middle range ($40-ish bottles) and there is a large and interesting list of martinis and champagne-based cocktails. We all had different items and, with one exception, all of the courses were very good. The exception, which ironically was recommended by our waitress, was a chocolate strawberry "trifle" which came in a champagne flute. The once presumably molten chocolate had been frozen and were afraid we were going to break the glass trying to spoon the mixture out onto a bread plate. We would come again. It is a scenic ride and a very pretty Inn that looks to do lots of outdoor weddings in the warmer weather. 40 minutes from Harrisburg.

• Visited March 2013
Hershey, PA
“Very Good but could be Better”
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Nice Victorian restaurant but has two flaws: (1) it is not wheelchair accessible but small ramps would solve the problem and (2) they need more waitresses - my room of about 20 tables only had one waitress and serving was very slow.

• Visited December 2012
Stevens
“"They are missing the charm..."”
Reviewed July 21, 2012

Fine dining was put to the test when we visited Cameron Estate. We made a dinner reservation for 6:00 and arrived around 5:30. We thought it would be nice to enjoy a glass of wine while waiting to be seated. This request seemed to send them into a level of high anxiety. We were told to wait; they would see if they could find someone to attend to our request. While we were on the porch, a photographer asked us to move around the corner so he could take a picture of a wedding party. We were asked to go inside and sit in the parlor....finally a glass of wine and then they were ready to seat us. Beautiful seating and enjoyed being in room to ourselves. There was a sun porch where several guests were seated. Our waitress was very nice, but it was obvious that she had too many tasks to perform. The food was well prepared (except for a smoked pork chop that did not smell or taste good.) (They did adjust our bill.) As a party of six, we asked for additional bread (we would have paid for it), however, it was forgotten. We would have enjoyed a heat up on our coffee too. Everyone was nice, but nice doesn't replace good, classy service. A charming mansion is missing the charm. Minus the deduction for one untasty dinner, our party of six dropped $371. This group traveled from three different PA counties to meet for dinner. Perhaps it was an off night; we were a bit disappointed.

4 Thank Patron P
lancaster
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Crying on my wedding day”
Reviewed May 5, 2009

We had little problem, with the food. The way we were treated was not acceptable. The owner is nasty and all my vendors complained about her. She failed to answer simple questions about her business. My family and I caught her in more than one lie. It is very disheartening to be promised items on your wedding day and never receive them. I mean you are paying thousands of dollars! She should not be in a business where she associates with people because she has no social skills, quailities or tact. If you do not want to be unhappy on your wedding day, try to find a new place to tie the knot.

1 Thank sejump24