“Great for kids and parents!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mount Joy
Rocky Acre Farm B&B
Ranked #3 of 10 Mount Joy B&B and Inns
Ashburn, Virginia
“Great for kids and parents!”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

This was our first visit to the farm, I found this place a year ago on www.pafarmstay.com and there were a lot of great reviews about this B&B on Tripadvisor as well. It was extremely hard to book a place as most of the weekends has been booked six or more months ahead. I finally decided to try and booked a smallest room – Meadows View. This is a room with 1 king bed and 1 pull out crib and twin mattresses and bathroom. I didn’t know what to expect from our stay as we never stayed at the working farm. We arrived around 6 pm and I asked one of the lady at the kitchen area about our reservation. Nance, it was her name, walked me to the room and gave me some information about activities at the farm. We unloaded our car and went back to front yard, where my son played with new kittens. We walked around the farm and saw a barn with young cows, then my son rode a bike and played with some other kids. Next morning we planned to feed baby cows at 7 am, by my son was still sleeping and I decided not to wake him up. We had some time to play outside before breakfast and collect fresh eggs at the chicken house behind the main inn building. Breakfast was very nice, there were 2 tables set up , one in the big formal dining room and one in the kitchen area, each day sitting has been reassigned to make sure people talk with each other and meet new guests. All guests introduced themselves and there were a lot of returned families, one came to the farm to celebrate their son’s birthday , the other – to celebrate a wedding anniversary, so it was so many nice moments during the breakfast. The breakfast menu was great, big variety of baked pies, scrambled eggs, fruits, quiches, pancakes, toasts, coffee, juice and hot chocolate. After the breakfast my son took part in kids’ activities – pony rides, barrel and tractor rides and then a hay ride around local farms with a stop at the Amish bake stand. The weather was great during our stay and we did all activities both mornings. For side trips we visited Kitchen Kettle Village, we used an inn recommended back roads map and it was much nicer than just follow main roads . We visited Turkey Hill Ice-Cream Factory, Hershey Chocolate Factory Tour and Hershey Botanical Gardens during our trip as well. We really enjoyed our stay at Rocky Acre Farm B&B and plan to return next year.

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Tatiana I

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Turkish first
Florida
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We were an extended family of 8 (ages 56 to 4 yrs) visiting this area for the first time. We had an amazing time at the Rocky Acre Farm Bed and Breakfast on our last leg of our trip_Philadelphia/Hershey. This place is wonderful for various reasons: extremely clean rooms and facility (I only have 5 people in my home and can't understand how every nook and cranny of this home is so clean as I can't get my house that clean :-), you can just relax in a porch rocking chair if you choose or partake in the activities that the farm has to offer (hayrides, pony rides for kids, barrel rides for kids or the occasional mom who fits...lol, milk the cows, feed or play with the goats, gather eggs from the hen house and feed the chickens, play in the newly built game room (ski ball machine, shuffleboard, ping pong, air hockey), swing down by the creek or take a kayak out, etc.
Let me tell you my entire family gave me such flack for booking here when I told them we were going to be on a farm with no TV as we are city folks....but once they arrived they were so happy that we stayed. I saw my family shoot hoops, ride bicycles, take brisk walks, play cards, none of which they would normally do if we were at home :-). With no TV to distract us (well one in the main den of the home which they graciously allowed us to watch the NBA playoffs on- GO HEAT), our family engaged in good old fashion family time.....something we had been missing. I really like that you can just do whatever you like, without anyone hovering over you. We hung outside with a few other families and then just did our own thing throughout the day. My kids wanted to ride bikes and play with the kittens all day and there is a kid’s playhouse and playground too!
Lastly, my favorite part is the breakfast....yum yum....blew all my weight watchers points in one meal every day...lol (on different days we ate a variety of homecooked foods like...pancakes, french toast, french toast casserole, sausage, turkey bacon, fresh fruit, cakes (blueberry, peach, shoo fly), also fresh cut potato hash browns, & fresh eggs from the hen house that we had gathered. Each morning I would wait for the bell to ring to alert us for breakfast. When I got home, I waited for the bell at my house....but no bell here....bummer....ha ha! I can see why they have repeat visitors....we definitely recommend and we will be back.
Just a note as some mentioned in other posts, when you arrive, your info will more than likely be on the main door of the home (room info)....there will probably not be someone there to greet you as the family often ventures to the farmer’s market and completes household duties, which was fine with us but just an FYI to some who may be looking for a front desk or someone to greet them, etc. Also, with milking the cows, be sure to let the farm hand know. The first night we went, but just watched. The 2nd night we asked and he obliged. I did not know we needed to ask though. The farm hand is there to work and get the cows milked so he may not be sure if you want to watch or participate, so just want to ask or participate and he will let you participate.
Mrs. Eileen and Galen are a hoot. She just cracked me up when I talked to her. Someone mentioned earlier about her/ them perhaps not being very sociable, but is just the way she talks or interacts. She is sooooo funny to me. She is very direct in her tone, but not mean at all. It is just how she speaks and I could see how someone could see it as impersonal, but I did not. She celebrated a birthday...I think 76 while we were there. You have to spend some time talking with her. She talked with me for hours over my stay there, gave me fresh strawberry pie late one night when we were talking and I just thought she was a riot. I really enjoyed talking to her. Really reminded me a lot of talking to my grandmother, whom I miss so much :-) Laura (her daughter) and Taylor (Laura's daughter) are very welcoming and help the family run the bed and breakfast. I very much enjoyed the entire family!!
We had two rooms (Guest House- about 2-3 mins away from the main house driving or an 8-10 min walk through the woods which included a kitchen for us to gather and cook our own meals for lunch and dinner, and the Efficiency in main house (included a small refrig and microwave is downstairs available for guest use anytime, both in superb condition (see the pics of the Guest house and the property I added). How they have managed 48 years of service doing this is beyond me....but thank goodness they still do it so families like mine can enjoy the farm life and get away from the city sometimes!! Thanks Rocky Acres for letting us explore a little piece of your world!!! We’ll definitely be back!!!
(see other tips I left)

Room Tip: Room info is usually taped to the door (non one may be present for any type of check-in), there is a...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank TTTworldtraveler
Wallingford, Connecticut
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I started going to Rocky Acre Farm around three years ago. The first time we went we were with my family who had been going here for many years and still absolutely loved it. Ever since then we have been going every single year more than once a year. It still is incredibly enjoyable and have so many fun things to do. Last time we went, my cousin and I went kayaking down the river and attempted to fly a kite off the back off the golfcart. We have had so many great memories here and hope to have many more. We always have a wonderful time here and have made friends with returning guests here and some of the staff that have worked at the farm for many years. They are very nice, helpful, and are always up for a good laugh. We will be coming back here this year and the next and hopefully many more. Rocky Acre does have many guests wanting to get a spot for a weekend so if you want to stay here, you have to book a couple weeks in advance, but as soon as you do that, you get dibs on the same room for the same weekend next year.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Erimar13
West Hartford, CT
Reviewed April 27, 2013

This was our 2nd stay at Rocky Acre. Our first was 3 years ago when our kids were 2 and 4. My 2 year-old could not stop talking about it for 3 years and I finally looked ahead enough to snag a room for a few nights when we were available. It is even better with a 5 and 7 yearold. The first time we stayed at the apartment off property and while it was nice, being at the house is sooooo much better. We enjoyed getting to meet other families and the kids enjoyed being a part of the house community. Mrs. Brenner welcomed us when we arrived and the Farmer's suite was great for our family of four. The breakfast is great at the family table. Mr. Brenner even entertained with some great card tricks. My daughter loved gathering eggs. We also enjoyed milking the cow (they each squeezed and utter), feeding the calves, interacting with the baby goats, and being a part of the overall good vibes given by the inn keepers, the employees and other families. What I also appreciate is the flexibility. It can be a hub if you want to explore Lancaster county or the main gig if you really want to unplug and enjoy the great outdoors. There are Kayaks, a place for fishing, a game room, swings, and a great porch to just relax. If you want a great time for the kids and an opportunity to connect with nature that is nestled in a great location, this is the place for your family. My son is already asking to go back next year and this time, I'm on it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank MsWrightWright
Massachusetts
Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

I have always wanted to do a farm stay and when I found one in the area we were going to be visiting I quickly booked it. The inn itself is beautiful the Rooms are nice and clean. We had the fireplace room and it was huge. The jacuzzi tub was a nice bonus. Our room was so much nicer than I expected. The property is really nice and it is so fun to be able to interact with the animals all day long. They have a golf cart that the guests are allowed to use. In the garage is full of bikes and ride on toys for the kids. My seven-year-old loved just riding around with the other kids. The baby goats were the highlight of his trip. it was a great experience for him. Each morning after breakfast Mr Benner takes the kids out on a caterpillar tractor ride. He also does pony rides and a hayride for anyone interested. This all takes place from about 9 o'clock until 11. Breakfast is served around 830 and is served family style at a large table in the dining room. My one complaint about breakfast is that it is really crowded and you're squished. The food was great and there was so much of it each day. I liked how they offer different selections each day also. My super picky seven-year-old ate a huge breakfast each day which is just amazing to me. The house can be noisy if the other guests aren't as aware. We had a couple of older boys above us who thundered up and down the stairs. They settled down by bedtime so it really wasn't a big deal. You have to interact quite a bit with other guests so your experience will definitely be influenced by who else happens to be there during your stay. We met some really nice families.
As much as I absolutely loved our stay I did have some negative experiences. Many of the other families there during our stay shared some of these same thoughts. Before I go any further I want to say that the good far outweighed the bad though.
As other people have said when we arrived there was no one there to greet us but there was a note on the door directing us where our room was located. That was fine but at no point did anybody make a point to introduce themselves. We were in the same room as the owners twice that night and they didnt even acknowledge us. even the next day at breakfast when the owners were there they didnt welcome us. We stayed for three nights and the owners never really directly spoke to us at all. It was just really strange. A few times my husband and I tried to speak to the owners in casual conversation but it was like they wanted no part of it. They were present each day at 8 o'clock for breakfast and following breakfast for the morning activities. Even during those Times there were really not any personal conversations. Mrs. Benner offered some suggestions and answered questions about the area and she was very pleasant in doing so however that was the extent of her conversations with any guests that I saw. One morning before breakfast I went in to ask her if we could possibly feed the lamb his bottle. They only feed the lamb one bottle per morning so whichever guest gets down there first gets the luxury of being able to do that. Since it was our last day I was eager to get my son up and out to do this. Mrs. Benner hardly looked up from her kitchen prep and briskly asked "is the child ready?". When I said yes she said "well where is he?" I had to bring him around the counter so she could see him before she would even give the bottle over. She acted very annoyed. I felt like a little kid who was being scolded. This was another issue. When you have nine guests rooms you will also have nine families who are interested in doing certain things. If you only have one bottle to feed the lamb maybe you should A)not allow any guess to do it or B)have a sign-up sheet so we know which morning we will have a turn. Bottle feeding the calves was the same issue. The info book in our room said to go to the barn by 7am to feed the calves. We did, and two other families also arrived. There were now 4 kids out there. The farm hand did not speak English. He brought out 2 bottles and got the calfs started. One child promptly fed the entire bottle to one calf. I asked if my son could have a turn but the mother basically ignored me. The other 2 children (siblings) were taking turns feeding the second bottle. Even though we had arrived first we were not going to get a turn. I had to ask that mom if my son could possibly get a turn before it was gone. So 3 kids had to share one bottle while the 4th kid with the selfish mom got her own. I don't understand why they didn't have more bottles. There were at least 25 calves that the farm hand would be bottle feeding. Or, again have designated days for your turn. A farm hand who spoke English and actually interacted would have been great also. This was also true of the milking. The book told us to go to the barn at 9pm to watch milking. We did and the farm hand had the staticky radio on and the music was painfully loud. He didn't speak English so there was no info given or any interaction. Again it was awkward. I understand the farm hands are hired to take care of the cows and not entertain guests but it IS a bed and breakfast and they DO offer these "activities" so maybe they need staff to oversee these things? I know it's been commented on before but the cows really do not get out to pasture. They are kept in A cave like barn. I have no doubt their living conditions are better than most large dairy farms but still sad to see. It is a true dairy business and not a few cows hand milked by old macdonald lol. The chickens are also not let out of their building. I would have expected them to be either free range or at least have an outdoor pen.
I know it seems like I have a lot of gripes but we honestly thoroughly enjoyed our experience and I would recommend it to others. The good far out weighed the bad. The Benners have been doing this for awhile and I doubt they have much interest in changing the situations I felt need changing. They are obviously pleasing many guests as you can read on other reviews.

• Stayed April 2013
4 Thank sazzifrazz
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Amazing experience on a farm with wonderful hosts and lots to do. This is particularly great for kids - they love the animals - the tractor rides, the playroom, etc. It is such a great experience that we returned again - and my daughter would like to come back every year!!

Room Tip: This is a large house so you will hear people going up and down stairs - we stayed on the top floor...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Cleveland, Tennessee
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I visited Rocky Acre Farm at the end of March with my daughter and two grandchildren, ages 6 and 8. R.A. Farm provides a rare opportunity for children to experience real farm life. For instance, my grandchildren got to give a bottle to a 1-day-old lamb, and to collect eggs from the chicken house for breakfast. This bed and breakfast was built in the 1760's with a 2nd addition in the 1800's, and a 3rd in the 1920's. There are 9 nicely-decorated guest rooms. Reserve early as R.A Farm is very popular and has many return guests.
The breakfast bell, rung by young guests, rings at 8:15 each morning and the guests all congregate in the large dining room. The sumptuous breakfast is served family style and in generous portions. My favorites were the fresh scrambled eggs and the crumble cake. After breakfast, the children won't want to miss out on the pony ride or the hayride. And when children are ready for a break from farm activites, they head to the new GAME ROOM. (Adults are also welcome :) Guests can play air hockey, ping pong, pool, skee ball, and shuffleboard.
On your first visit, be sure to ask questions and read over the guide in your guest room so that you don't miss out on any of the fun. Bring small suitcases that you can carry up a flight or two of stairs. No credit cards are accepted so bring your checkbook. And then get ready for a step back in time.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
#6 of 39 in Lancaster
The Olde Square Inn
The Olde Square Inn
#1 of 10 in Mount Joy

Been to Rocky Acre Farm B&B? Share your experiences!