“Great wedding venue”

Ranked #5 of 10 Mount Joy B&B and Inns
Murcia, Spain
“Great wedding venue”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2014

My 12 year old son and i visited this venue (we didn't stay overnight though) as we had a wedding to attend. The staff were lovely. The grounds were fabulous. All the guests seemed to have a great time exploring the grounds and having drinks on the veranda after the ceremony. The only problem was no wi-fi/poor phone reception, but when you're in beautiful surroundings that doesnt really matter.
This would be a great wedding reception or party venue.
I would definitely recommend.

Room Tip: Order a taxi beforehand...there are no local taxis readily available
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank MrsQ009

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2014

We stayed at the cameron estate this past weekend for a little romantic get away. It was gorgeous. Yes it's in farm country but the scenes are breath taking. The staff was very pleasant and took care of us. Our room was huge with a jacuzzi tub. The breakfast was also very good we had the apple pancakes. So gooood. My husband and I will be back again. All I can say is this place is 5 stay and very classy. A very well maintained.

Room Tip: Room with jacuzzi tub
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Eden Prairie, Minnesota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2014

We went to the Cameron Estate Inn & Restaurant recently to see if it could perhaps be our potential wedding venue.

To start, the entire time we were there it smelled like manure. I understand there's a farm nearby, but for those considering this as a wedding venue I feel I should still comment on that fact.

We were the only ones there, and given that we were here looking at the place as a wedding site you would have thought the owner(s) might have gone out of their way to treat us as though they wanted our business. Not that case in the slightest! No one greeted us upon arrival, and our room was just a standard room. A few horse flies were in our room as well, not that horrible, but since we were the only guests, again you'd have thought someone might have inspected the room more thoroughly.

For breakfast, we were greeted by a nice lady. She was kind and pleasant yet our food was cold as if they expected us to be up at 8:00 and when we weren't our food was microwaved. It honestly had the taste of microwaved food. The coffee was cold and there was no warm water for my fiancee's tea. For a B&B, it was probably some of worst food I have ever eaten.

After our dismal breakfast, we were supposed to have a tour of the grounds. It was to begin at 9:00 am sharp. We arrived promptly at the front desk, where no one was to be found. We called out, again nothing. We next when to front room where many wedding photo books were, hoping someone would enter and give us a guide. We waited 20 minutes and no one showed.

The Cameron Inn Estates is not punctual, thoughtful, nor do they go out of their way for your business. We were treated with the bare minimal. I highly discourage anyone from visiting his sorry excuse for a bed and breakfast and I certainly would not get married somewhere so disorganized.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Ryan W
Manager-CEI, Manager at Cameron Estate Inn & Restaurant, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
Thank you for pointing out that we are in Lancaster County farm country which many groups enjoy as part of their country stay experience. It sounds like you stayed with us on one of those few days a year when the farmers take the opportunity to fertilize their fields. Fortunately that usually only happens once in the late winter or early spring before the crops are planted.

We are surprised and disappointed that you didn’t care for your breakfast. Our freshly prepared breakfast entrees such as our Olde English Apple Pancakes, Baked Oatmeal and freshly prepared quiches and frittatas are favorites of our repeat guests and items for which we regularly get asked for the recipes (which we are happy to accommodate.)

In checking back about the appointment our calendar shows your appointment at 9:30 and not 9:00 as you indicated. We certainly apologize for any confusion regarding the time. One of the big selling points of our wedding packages is how organized we are and we regularly get compliments on our attention to detail.

We wish you the best of luck in your search for the perfect location to host your wedding and thank you again for taking the time to post a review.

Santa Monica, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2014

I was a bridesmaid at a wedding here- while the Inn and grounds are lovely, the innkeepers and staff are not. The staff and owners added to the bride's stress on the day of the wedding- they were rude to her guests, difficult to work with, and completely unhelpful. I'm not sure why the owners are in this business- they act like you are an uninvited guest in their private home, and they are more concerned with making sure you don't inadvertently break any of their many many rules than enjoy your stay. If you want to hold your wedding here because the grounds are beautiful, have your guests stay at the Holiday Inn nearby for the half the price, cleaner rooms, friendlier service, and a better breakfast.

More specific issues- our room could have been beautiful, but as other reviewers have noted, cleanliness was an issue. Also, all the lamps were unplugged, and we had to crawl around trying to figure out how to plug them in. For $200+ a night, you would think they could plug in the lamps before guests arrive. All the guests also got a very small pack of vaseline brand bath products- although I noticed in the brides room only they had placed larger bottles of a fancier brand. The receptionist told our friends the wrong time for breakfast, so they came down an hour too late and were curtly informed they had missed it, tough luck. No coffee, no bagels, nothing. Also, although regular checkout is 11AM, the bride's guests had to check out 10AM the day after the wedding, even though she completely filled with Inn with her friends and family. How does that make sense? Again, for how much the rooms cost, better service is expected.

In reading the owner's responses to reviews, it's clear they are not interested in improving their service, only making excuses and blaming guests for not enjoying their stay. There are plenty of beautiful places to hold a wedding and stay overnight in Lancaster- this is not one of them.

Room Tip: Pick the cheapest room possible if you have to stay here- while the price greatly varies, they are a...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank Kelly P
Dear Kelly P

Thank you for the compliments on our inn and grounds and for your frank and valuable feedback. We are surprised and disappointed that you didn’t enjoy your stay. We appreciate that you took the time to share your experience and apologize that your stay did not meet or exceed your expectations.

I’m not sure who on our staff you interacted with that left you with this impression but we would very much like to address this with you so that we can improve in the future. We would greatly appreciate it if you would please contact our Office at 717-492-0111 or by email at frontdesk@cameronestateinn.com.

We look forward to addressing this with you.

Bon Air, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2014

My wife and I attended a family wedding this past weekend. While the outside was very nice the smell outside was horrendous. It was very hard sitting outside observing the very pretty estate. Now it is not has if I am not used to farm smells. I grew up beside My Grandparents Farm and surrounded by other dairy farms. There was also a very large chicken farm in the area.
As for those who have mentioned the coldness of the staff I would say our entire party is in agreement with that thought.
After we checked in to a very nice first floor room, My Wife immediately said they need to have a friendlier woman at the desk.
The only person we found to be very nice and helpful- and I do not mean this in a bad way- was a heavy set lady with long dark hair. She was super nice and willing to help at all times.
I will also say the room was very clean with a TV but wonder why there was
a clothes closet that you could not use because they were worried about it falling.
And, you could not leave the fire place on at night for fear of the oxygen being sucked out of the air.
Also, we were allowed to have food in our room. We walked right by the receptionist with our bags and she did not object. And we left our room open all weekend with no trouble.
At the reception on Sunday there was an open bar. The Bartender was very unfriendly. And when My Brother in law asked for a double scotch he was told that it was not allowed. He said I am the Father of the Bride and I have paid for an open bar and expect better service when I pay.
Monday morning at breakfast the unfriendly lady who was at check in was serving. Three times My Wife asked to be served and she was told I have to wait on other folks. We were the second ones in there and the other folks came after us.
Again- and I do not want to be mean- the heavy set lady with long hair helped us. She said I am so sorry that you have not been served She was the most friendly person we met.

Thanks
JDW- Virginia

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank BonAirWeekend
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. There are a few days a year in the late winter / early spring when the farmers fertilize their fields. We received a similar review from another guest the same weekend. Fortunately this only happens once a year and we are sorry that your stay coincided with this event.

Thank you for letting us know about your experience with our staff. We will let Beth know how much you enjoyed her service and address the other issues with the receptionist and bartender. We would greatly appreciate it if you would please contact our Office at 717-492-0111 or by email at frontdesk@cameronestateinn.com so we can address this further.

Hackettstown, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2014

I feel it important to write a review because I beleive that the Inn is enabled to treat people poorly by the location and setting of the Inn. It is gorgeous and the facilities are very nice. But watching a couple on their wedding weekend be treated terribly by a staff was terrible to me. It should be the most fun, exciting experience. The Inn front desk clerk was very cold and all about the rules more than ensuring the guests were happy and content. The poor bride was yelled at for about 15 mins how is this acceptable? There could be a discussion and resolution without making the bride feel bad the day after her wedding.

In reading through the reviews written previously and the responses from the Inn Keeper, I find that they want to provide excuses versus making changes that could ensure their guests were happy when staying at their Inn. There needs to be rules we all live by but not at the expense of an enjoyable time. I spend about 75 nights at hotels a year, personally and for business at 5 star hotels to 1 star hotels, bed & breakfasts and have not experienced the coldness and treatment that I experienced at this location.

I would find this an excellent spot to have a team meeting but would not recommend because I would not want my colleagues treated in the same manner as the the wedding party and guests that I spent the weekend with.

As to the points regarding breakfast and the ability to order additional servings, have toast by asking for it and/or choosing multiple items on the menu, NONE of this was offered and you were made to feel that you should not ask questions or be treated terribly.

The one good thing I can say is the first night dinner the waitress and waiter who provided service to me and my daughter were truly caring and wanted to ensure that we enjoyed our dinner. I very much apprecaited that.

I asked to print out 2 pages via their printer and was told very sternly that that was not allowed. Again I have done this in many hotels without issue.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank Delorann
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are pleased that you enjoyed dinner in our restaurant and the service provided by our staff. Thank you for the compliments on our facilities.

We are always happy to accommodate additional servings or special requests at breakfast. Perhaps you didn’t notice that we offer a combination plate on our breakfast menu for choosing multiple items and toast is always available upon request.

Thank you for letting us know about your experience with our staff. I apologize as it appears you may have caught us on a day when we weren’t at our best. We will let Beth and Justin know how much you enjoyed their service and address the other issues with the others.

Sewell, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2014

I am not one to usually complain but I feel the need to share our experience at this Inn so to prepare other potential customers and especially brides. While the property was gorgeous, there was little to be said about the staff and upkeep of most of the rooms. None of the employees were very warm or outgoing and surely did not cater to the bride. It seemed like we had to watch our every move the entire stay. They had extremely harsh rules about getting their towels dirty or stained and food and drinks not being allowed in the rooms. The beds were rock hard and there were no televisions in the bedrooms. Just read some reviews and look into this establishment before booking them for the most important day of your life.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Ilovetotravel2005
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review and for your compliment about our “gorgeous property.” Maintaining a 200 year old property is a challenge and we always have a list of improvements we are working on. If there was something specific you felt needed addressed we would appreciate hearing from you so we can address it. We always appreciate constructive feedback to help us improve. You can reach us at 717-492-0111 or via email at frontdesk@cameronestateinn.com.

Many couples stay with us for a romantic getaway and we host many wedding groups with large families. We instruct our staff to be friendly, professional and non-intrusive. Sometimes this gets interpreted as not being warm or outgoing. I apologize if this was the case.

Most of the rooms actually do have televisions and the online room descriptions show the particular features and amenities for each room. We do ask that our towels are not used to shine your shoes which unfortunately seems to be a practice of the groomsmen at our events. We put a lot of time and effort into supplying nice clean linens for our guests use and we just ask that you treat them with the same respect that you would your own linens.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mount Joy
Comfort Inn Lancaster County
The Olde Square Inn
The Olde Square Inn
#1 of 10 in Mount Joy

Been to Cameron Estate Inn & Restaurant? Share your experiences!