“Nice but needs help”

Cameron Estate Inn & Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 10 Mount Joy B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 2, 2013

We were only there one night dinner we got the five course it was awesome breakfast was also good. The room eh! I'm glad it was only one night.We didn't look around the property bet it's beautiful in the summer

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank 59Pete2013
Manager-CEI, Manager at Cameron Estate Inn & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2014

Thank you so much for the complimentary review. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay as well as dinner and breakfast. We get many compliments on our breakfast and we are pleased you enjoyed it. More importantly we appreciate you sharing it in a review.

We do appreciate your opinion and appreciate the time you took to share your opinions. We hope to welcome you back again in the future to experience the property in the summer. The variety of birds and animals on the property is amazing.

Thank you for your review.

Cameron Estate Inn Management Team

Reviewed November 26, 2013

Unfortunately, Cameron Estate and Inn. I always try to find at least one positive thing to say about a place. In this case, I am unable to do even that, except to say that the grounds are mostly pretty.

I was a guest at the Inn for a wedding weekend recently. I helped to coordinate the wedding. The couple had rented the entire facility for the weekend for their wedding. They had both the rehearsal dinner and reception on site. All of the wedding activities and preparation took place there.

What follows is an abridged list of issues I had in the 2 days at the Inn:

The Inn was aware that guests would be arriving before the rehearsal dinner to check in. Still, they had only one person at the desk. I waited in a very long line. The innkeeper never smiled. She did not welcome us. She made no conversation other than to tell us what we could NOT do and that no one would be served breakfast after 9 am sharp.

There are no elevators in the Inn and there was no one to help with bags that had to go upstairs (all guests). When I asked if there was someone to help, I was told there was not. Another guest offered to help me.

At the rehearsal dinner, while awaiting the meal service, several of us asked if they could begin the wine and beer service that came with the dinner (the bridal couple was running late). We were told no. This was the first of many, many "no's" we would hear for the next days.

True to the innkeeper's warning, everything was cleared from the breakfast tables at 9. The scowling Innkeeper hovered over the few of us that were still eating or lingering over our coffee. Coffee? It was removed from the area precisely at 9 too. From then on, there were no drinks (even water) available to guests unless you bought something from the bar. When I asked, I was told there were no options for a snacks.

We cooked and brought lunch in (pre-arranged) for the wedding guests on the day of the ceremony. We needed hot water for the hotel pan. We asked the kitchen for hot water. We were told that there was no hot water in the kitchen and that we should go to the bathroom to get hot water.

The food at the reception was terrible. Not bad...terrible. A few examples: Soggy, frozen vegetables and non-homemade mashed potatoes (I asked if they were homemade and was told no). When I asked for a replacement for the potatoes, I was told they'd bring me something right away. No one returned. The pork was so dry that it was impossible to eat (those seated at my table that ordered pork left more than half of it on their plates) and it was served cold.

The handicapped bathroom in the reception hall was filthy. There was toilet paper all over the floor. Wet spots on the floor. Full trash baskets. This was just BEFORE the reception. I reported that it needed to be cleaned and was assured that it would be taken care of. An hour later, it was still not cleaned.

The dust under my bed (hidden by the dust ruffle) was thick. There was also a large, dirty box stored under my bed and it was visible to guests from the settee. (I was looking under the bed because something from my room went missing.)

There was a fan stored in the corner of my room and another stored in the tiny closet.

There was not a single hanger in my room. I asked my friend for a hanger. There were no hangers in his room either. I had to drape my wedding clothes over the furniture!

The conservatory (where the wedding was performed) smelled like dry wall and the inside entry had a bank of kitchen/food storage units lined up along one wall. The outside entry had 6 dead plants in grocery-store pots lining the walkway. Also, there was broken concrete sitting on top of the wall beside the entry.

There was no restroom in the conservatory. You had to walk to the next building, which was not very close.

The Inn itself is run down and in dire need of renovation. My room smelled musty. My bathroom door would not latch closed.

When I visited my friend's room, the wallpaper in his room was peeling off of the walls at all of the seams...about an inch deep.

None of the staff seemed to know anything when they were asked and/or they simply rolled their eyes and said, "I'll check." They never returned.

It is clear that the negative, "we're doing you a favor letting you stay here" attitude of the innkeepers trickled down. With the exception of one person, all of the staff that I dealt with over 2 days was cold and unresponsive or did the bare minimum.

When I had a problem with something missing from my room, I called the front desk. The innkeeper answered. He could not hear me and hung up.....3 times. Never did he come up the stairs to see what the problem was. When I went down stairs to talk with him, no one was there. I had to scare someone out of the kitchen to help me. She said, "Did you dial 136?" I said, "No. I dialed "O"" She rolled her eyes, "That's the problem. You have to dial 136." Does it say that anywhere near the phone? No. In fact it was nowhere in my room....and he answered when I dialed "O"!

The innkeeper eventually arrived at the front desk and took my information. He never contacted me after that to find out if I'd found the item. I did not find the item (my purse-with cash, ID and credit cards). I had not taken it out of my room since I checked in. My room was locked when I was not in it.

I would tell people looking for a special place to have a wedding or other celebration to stay away from Cameron Inn.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
13  Thank Paciano12
Reviewed October 20, 2013

We stayed at Cameron Estate in August 2013 and were treated very poorly. We made the trip especially to evaluate the inn as a location for our 2014 wedding. The only reason I am not rating the inn "terrible" is the excellent quality of food in the restaurant, the only redeeming part of the visit.

Friday night dinner and Saturday breakfast were excellent as was the service at both meals. Our room was clean, with average quality bedding, and decorated with antiques as expected in a country inn. That's the end of the good news.

Early in the morning we saw a very large insect on the bed. Call it a roach, a locust or whatever. As a guest, when I report finding an insect in the bed, I expect to 1) be believed and 2) be offered some small form of compensation for the issue. I understand in old buildings there can be bugs even in the cleanest places. I wasn't expecting to be given a free night just some small acknowledgement of the issue. Instead we were treated as though we lied. The lesson I can share with you, aside from not recommending staying at Cameron Estate, is always keep the problem to show the manager. Unfortunately we flushed the bug.

The problems didn't stop there. We had an appointment with the wedding planner on Saturday morning to discuss the options for hosting our small wedding at the inn. Instead of the wedding planner I had made the appointment with, a very inexperienced new employee met with us. We discovered that the wedding planner who we thought we were meeting was too busy for us because she was hosting another prospective wedding couple planning a larger wedding. We had a lovely young woman who tried very hard but simply didn't know how to answer our questions, but she tried to get us answers.

The inn claims to be willing to host small weddings, but it's all about the big, expensive wedding. They claim to be flexible and accommodating, but we found Cameron Estate to be the exact opposite. We learned that we were the only wedding for the March date we wanted but were told we couldn't start at the time we wanted in case a larger wedding wanted the same day. We were required to rent a set number of overnight guest rooms greater than we needed especially since the rooms we had to take could not accommodate families with teenage children. We could have the date we wanted but potentially couldn't start the ceremony until 6:00 PM making dinner about 8:00 PM. With older relatives that is much too late for dinner.

If looking for nice country inn for an overnight stay, look elsewhere. This is not worth the high price paid.

If looking for a country inn wedding venue in Lancaster County, check out the Inn at Leola Village which will be hosting our wedding. Leola looks like a great option for a place to stay too although we have yet to stay overnight. The rooms we were shown are large and beautiful with much more modern bathrooms than offered at Cameron.

If looking for an excellent dinner, we recommend trying Cameron Estate.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
10  Thank loveacat

Thank you for the compliments on your dinner, breakfast and service. We are so pleased that you enjoyed our restaurant and hospitality.

I’m sorry that you experienced a bug in your room. Part of the charm of the inn is that we are out in the country and in the fall sometimes grasshoppers or cicadas find their way inside the inn. Our apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

I’m sorry that our small wedding packages didn’t suite your needs. We host many small wedding groups and with these groups we need to balance their needs with those of our other guests. To do this we do ask that groups hosting an event rent the few rooms that immediately adjoin the dining room where the party takes place. This prevents guests that aren’t part of the festivities from being inconvenience by noise from the event. Additionally we try to balance our event schedule with our dinner guest needs. I’m sorry that our later availability didn’t meet the needs of your elderly guests.

We wish you the best in your search for the perfect location to host your wedding. The Inn at Leola is lovely and has an excellent reputation and if you chose them as your venue we are sure that you will be very pleased. We refer clients there on a regular basis when we cannot accommodate their date or other needs.

Best of luck with your wedding and thank you again for taking the time to post a review.

Cameron Estate Inn Management Team

Reviewed October 17, 2013

We stayed at this Inn very recently. Out Lincoln Room was the most expensive there and we were looking for a special night. The room was shabby with wallpaper coming off the walls, painting chipped and the bed uncomfortable. Although the house is beautiful and full of antiques, it was dated and rather sad. The breakfast was served in an u friendly fashion, and was not fresh. There was not one but two hairs in my fruit. I would recommend you look elsewhere for your lodging.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Bonnie A
Reviewed October 8, 2013

There's nothing seriously wrong with the Cameron Inn, but it's not as wonderful a place as it clearly thinks it is. The rooms are clean, the beds are comfortable and the restaurant tries hard. But nobody makes you feel wanted, starting with the aloof receptionist. It's little things that irritate. Let me pour my own maple syrup, rather than drowning the apple pancakes with the stuff, and clean the plastic tablecloths. They are pretty, but they should not be sticky too.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank J G
Reviewed September 28, 2013

I recently spent 2 nights at this beautiful inn with my boyfriend. The room was incredibly quiet and the dinner we had was exceptional. I will be back very soon. I think the inn in snow will be gorgeous. The inn is also very close to The Highlands at Donegal, a beautiful 18 hole golf course.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Lori A
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I don't like leaving a bad review. In fact, this is my very first one. The fact that I so wanted to leave one now got me to thinking about what it means to many of us to get away from our routine and go stay at a lovely Inn for R&R.

The Cameron Estate Inn is beautiful. We've have known it for a long time and recently returned to visit after being away nearly 20 years. It is still beautiful. The grounds are breathtaking; waking up to a misty morning here is magical. The house itself is full of old-world charm and is even more comfortable now that the bathrooms have been brought up-to-date somewhat. Tucked away in the peaceful Amish rural countryside, you arrive ready to let go of all your cares.

So, what is wrong? Well, this Inn is now mostly a wedding destination. OK, that's fine. The thing is, they still bring in regular guests to the main house, and that's where the problem is. The Inn guests are merely an after-thought, second-class "citizens;" the real bucks are elsewhere. The Inn is severely understaffed, which may explain our receptionist's argumentative and unpleasant manner, and her making us keep the dirty ice bucket that was in the room by impatiently putting a plastic liner in it. The next day, too. Apparently, the Inn is also severely under supplied, she said there was only one bucket per room and we should not ask for another. At breakfast, the Inn guests get only one hour to eat it and if all of us go down at once, there aren't enough tables to go around, maybe also dishes. Thankfully, there are great diners in the area.

I don't know who does the housekeeping, but my husband said the bathroom did not look very clean when he first used it. And the next day, our bed was not properly made--the covers just put back and the decor pillows replaced; the sheets inside were all crumpled. As for the bathroom, NOT ONE THING had been cleaned. No one touched it.

When we returned to the Inn the second day, there was another wedding going on on the grounds, so as there are no designated parking spots set aside for the Inn guests, we found no place to park until we kept driving to the farthest limits of the grounds. Of course, it was raining this morning when we left and had to roll our luggage all the way to the car in it.

So what's the big deal, it's a pretty place! Well, we didn't go there just because it's a pretty place. We went to relax, to let someone else do some of the chores we wouldn't have to do ourselves for a few days. We were willing to drive a long distance and spend some real money to experience this. We hoped to be treated with kindness and consideration and concern for our comfort. We never asked for anything that wasn't perfectly normal to ask for; we never do. We expected a cleaned room. We didn't need to be treated as if we were an annoyance and something to be "just put up with." Running an Inn requires the gift of hospitality and a spirit of generosity. It is seriously lacking here. And it's really a shame. They say the 'God is in the details,' well, so is thoughtfulness to paying guests.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Comfort Inn Lancaster County
Lancaster Arts Hotel
Lancaster Arts Hotel
#4 of 40 in Lancaster

Been to Cameron Estate Inn & Restaurant? Share your experiences!