“Very Nice stay!”

Cameron Estate Inn & Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 10 Mount Joy B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 19, 2011

Our trip to the Cameron Estate was a suprise 50th Birthday gift from my wife to me. We stayed on 12/4/11 in the Green Room. The room was very nice, with a very comfortable King size bed, pillows and linens. The lady at the desk was very nice and showed us how the fireplace, Jacuzzi tub and shutters worked in our room. We were a bit suprised that the were no compimentary refreshments offered when we arrived but we had ordered our own so it wasn't a big deal to us. My wife opted for the dinner plan with the room and the food was GREAT! They offered a nice selection on the menu, as well a nice bar selection. The desert was the best part of dinner my wife had EggNog Creme Brulle and I had the Terramissu.

We really enjoyed our room that night as well as the bottle of wine and cheese tray we purchased from the Inn ahead of time. Breakfast the next morning was only served until 9:30 am so if your late riser you may want to make other plans for breakfast. There were two choses for breakfast that morning. There was a Crustless Quiche and Apple pancakes. There was no pastries or toast offered before our breakfast arrived. Just coffee (which was very weak) and Juice. My breakfast consisted of small ramekin with egg and ham, a slice each of orange, kiwi, and 6-8 grapes about a 1/2 cup of potatos and 1 single slice of bacon. My wifes was the same except for 2 silver dollar size packages. After breakfast I was still hungery so I asked for some toast. The girl returned with toasted rounds of French bread, jam and butter. It appears that breakfast isn't done as well here as some other B&B's but all in all we had a very nice time.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank akula2205
CameronEstateInn, Manager at Cameron Estate Inn & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2011

We appreciate you taking time to post your review of the inn. Positive reviews are most welcome and let us know we are doing things right. I assure you there are complimentary refreshments and they should have been mentioned to you during the orientation to your room. Thanks for letting us know and I will ensure the check-in procedures are followed.

We are quite proud of or restaurant and are very happy you enjoyed your dinner with us.

Breakfasts trends are changing and we have found the majority of our guests do not want the extra carbs and are not eating any muffins, roles, bread etc and we saw this as an additional cost we need not burden our guests with. We are happy you asked for more as we are always eager to accommodate your needs.

Thank you for your post and we look forward to your return visit.

There are newer reviews for Cameron Estate Inn & Restaurant

Reviewed October 14, 2011

While the Inn appears very stately from the exterior the feeling when you enter is not very welcoming. We were immediately asked for a credit card for incidentals. We were offered no complimentary refreshments and were made to feel that we may be intruding. The room was comfortable enough and the antiques were lovely but we did not come away having any great feeling of enjoyment and peacefulness from our stay at this particular Bed and Breakfast. No one shared their name which I have never experienced at other B&B stays. How sad the stately manor only appears stately.

Room Tip: The first floor was noisy because outside or our door a giant grandfather clock chimed on the quarte...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Jenny T
Management response:Responded October 22, 2011

Jenny,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay, we find it helpful in making changes to improve your service. We are not sure why you did not feel welcomed as you offer few if no details and our check in procedure is no different than any other lodging facilities. Our procedures are more upfront and honest and we do prefer to get the paperwork out of the way so we can visit with you and answer your questions about what to do, where to go, dinner options, antique stores, wineries, and more. Or check in procedure highlights the availability of complimentary beverages, though as I recall, you were more interested in finding dinner options and did not avail yourself of our refreshments.

We always take our queue from our guests on how much of a BFF we should be and must have misread your signals so we apologize, and sometimes we get carried away with telling you all there is to offer in the area that we may have overlooked some of the social pleasantries.

As you checked in at 5:55:56 PM you definitely heard the Grandfather clock chime at 6PM, if you felt it would disturb you, all grandfather clocks have a silent mode and we would have been happy to turn it off had we known. Many guests love the comforting sound as it reminds them of their grandparent’s home.

As always we can only address any issues if we are informed of them when we can address them, rather than long after your stay, but we do appreciate your comments.

Reviewed October 5, 2011

I really enjoyed the "feel" of the Inn. It is superbly decorated. Being able to look into the rooms that weren't reserved was a cool bonus. Staff was friendly and gave us ideas of things to do and local restaurants. My room had a tv, however the channel selection was limited...since my intention wasn't to sit and watch tv...I was ok with it. Breakfast options are limited, but was pleased with what I chose. I loved the apple pancakes. The Hideaway room #24 was nice, however one must keep in mind that since it's 200yrs old, the walls are a bit thin. This room is directly above the kitchen so you will hear that type of activity during breakfast & dinner time. That being said, if there are guests in the Dutch room #23 you will unfortunately hear that activity as well. The room and bathroom were clean and the bed was comfortable.

Room Tip: The Loft #27 is on the 3rd floor and completely isolated and private. Rooms with fireplaces have a s...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded October 10, 2011

Thank you for the great review, it is reassuring to know we are doing things right. Our apple pancakes are fantastic, so we are told and they which makes it easy to please 40 guests at breakfast as one of their choices. The house does have many thicknesses in the walls from one foot to 6 inches, you were in one of the newer rooms, once part of three servants quarters, that does have thinner walls.

For me I love the smoky smell. For those of you looking for it, you can only experience the aroma when it is damp and rainy. As for the tip, 27 it is not as secluded as posted and I think has a noisy bathroom (I’ve slept there). Rooms 20 or 25 are far more secluded. Again Thanks and I hope to see you return

Reviewed September 5, 2011

My husband and I stayed here and enjoyed the inn very much. The bed was comfortable and the inn is set on 15 acres and it's quiet and peaceful. Mt. Joy (small town) is just 5-10 minutes away. The inn is very historic and you feel at home in it. We had dinner with them one evening and the meal was outstanding. I think that you will enjoy your stay here very much.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms may be a little noisy but they are beautiful. We stayed upstairs.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CyndiMom
Management response:Responded September 17, 2011

We appreciate you taking time to post your review of the inn. Positive reviews are most welcome and let us know we are doing things right. Thank you for your post and we look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed August 22, 2011

Let me just start by saying that "Mary" did great job - if it wasn't for her, just about nothing about the stay would have been good. My sister booked this B&B on-line - when she called, they told her only one of their rooms was for 3 people (me and my 2 sisters) - the Garden Room. So we had no choice in rooms. We looked on the web site and saw a nice room - and read favorable reviews. Once we arrived, we were surprised by the unwelcoming presence - the porch was filthy with bugs and cob webs on the ceiling and windows, there was a leaf blower with cord that was laying on the porch - and when we left 2 days later, it was still there. When we came in, the owners were nowhere to be found. We had to ask a wait staff if anyone was around. Then came Mary - she was actually cleaning the rooms - and she checked us in - and she waited on us for breakfast. When we went to our room, we could not believe the difference between the picture and what we got - the sink for the bathroom was in the bedroom - and we had to climb 3 flights of stairs - there was no T.V., and only one mirror above the sink - all of these things were not noted or told to us before hand. Mary warned us not to take the full-size amenities that were on the sink, as we would be charged $13 each. There was no welcoming book on what the procedures were, no signs about towel useage, it took 10 minutes for the water to get hot, etc. It was called the Garden Room, but overlooked the parking lot. I mention this because once we started to view the other rooms (doors were open to view), we realized that every room had a separate marble bathroom - with sink inside - the rooms had a T.V. and there were signs posted in each room about towels, useage of amenities, there were multiple mirrors, and a welcoming book. That's when we realized how out of place our room was. In addition, as much as they noted our room was for 3, there were only two water glasses when we came in, along with two towel sets - this was not a room for 3. There was also no tour of the B&B. We saw one of the owners, and only when I initiated a "hi" did he politely, but curtly, say hi back - and absolutely nothing else - not, where are you from, how is your stay, what do you need. The one dinner we had there was good. However, the breakfast was fair, you did not get a lot, and when I asked Mary for toast to go along with eggs, she said they don't offer that - but the next morning she could try to toast the bread from dinner - which is exactly what she did on the second morning - and we couldn't believe it when she asked the table next to us on the second morning if they wanted toast! She never asked us, and only when I posed the question did we get it. There is no coffee or tea until 7:30a, which is a little late - and no other beverages available at any time. I have traveled extensively for business - my sisters and I have been to many B&Bs - for the cost of this below average room ($270), we have stayed at much nicer places for $100 less a night and got so much more; and the owners were much more friendly and hands on.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank jpasta1
Management response:Responded August 31, 2011

We appreciate you taking the time to post your review…But Really?!?! Sometings you get a review that makes you go Hmmmmm. After seeing guests come and go over the past 30 years we at the inn realize there are two types of people, those looking for something to complain about and those looking to have a great time; in either case they find what they are looking for.

Reviewed July 27, 2011

We went to the Cameron Estate Inn for dinner and only enjoyed one out of 6 courses and we aren't really that picky. The waitress pressured us into trying the "Fantastic" asparagus and brie soup and it really wasnt that exciting. Their "amazing" caesar salad which was a $2.50 upcharge had dressing that tasted like mayonnaise which was just odd. I ordered duck and ended up with two legs so over-cooked, it was like pork and I had to drink water to get it down. The foie gras was good. The dessert selection was sinful. Only 4 options, and none of them chocolate or peanut butter or anything remotely like that. Most of the problems I would consider mediocre, but the duck was near inedible. Such a shame to spend so much money and spend most of the dinner talking about other restaurants we'd like to go to.

Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank dwinn717
Manager-CEI, Manager at Cameron Estate Inn & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2011

We appreciate your feedback as it does provide us with an opportunity to assess our performance and helps us change to better serve our guests. However if there is a problem we can only address it if we are aware of it at the time it occurs rather than long after your visit with us. We are please to find out the Caesar dressing is like mayonnaise (because it is, emulsified egg, oil and vinegar). There is nothing worse than having a Caesar salad and having all the dressing fall to the bottom of the plate and nothing on the romaine, so a mayonnaise texture is perfect. We are also unaware of the definition of dessert meaning Chocolate or peanut butter; we will have to look into that. But we are happy you found “The dessert selection was sinful” that is what dessert should be. Again thanks for the feedback and we will report back if we can find the definition of dessert defined as chocolate or peanut butter.

Reviewed July 6, 2011

Wedding day: Everyone at the Cameron was great on the day of the event (with the exception of one bartender who was not very friendly at all). The staff made everything on the day work like clockwork and were very pleasant. The day of was perfect. Grounds are beautiful.

Planning: While the staff is nice, Had some difficulties with the planning process. Some miscommunications about price, timelines.

Example: we gave a rough estimate of out guest list 9 months before the wedding, when we filled out the official paperwork. 8 months later, we found out that we were financially responsible to pay for at least 75% (or close) to that amount of guests. Luckily, we gave a low number in the beginning. If we had been wrong, and estimated a large number back then (when you really have no clue about the true number) and our actual number of guests shrank like it did, we would have been on the hook for possibly 20-40 more guests than we had coming. All because we threw out a number in the first weeks of planning the wedding.

We did have a discrepancy over the number of guests and they did work with us for a compromise. Offering extra services in exchange. We would have liked the money back, but the compromise was a good gesture.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Manager-CEI, Manager at Cameron Estate Inn & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2011

Thank you for your review. We take all comments to heart and incorporate your comments to change and improve our service. We are happy your wedding was a success and perfect! The Bartender has the unenviable job of serving your guests and at the same time enforcing the law which makes the bartender “not very friendly at all”. We are confident that you value the safety of your guests and the success of your event over a minor inconvenience and in retrospect will applaud the bartender for working to ensure your wedding was perfect. As we are required to follow the contractual obligations with you we expect that the party to the contract to read, understand and abide by the terms of the contract, so thank you for the round-about comment that we stick to your terms you agreed to in your contact.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mount Joy
#1 of 3 in Bird in Hand
Lancaster Arts Hotel
Lancaster Arts Hotel
#4 of 40 in Lancaster

Been to Cameron Estate Inn & Restaurant? Share your experiences!