“Relax unwind enjoy”
Review of Chelsea Sun Inn

Chelsea Sun Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Mount Bethel B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Me and my wife went to the inn for our honeymoon I was curious a 18hr trip from Michigan "ok made a few wrong turns" let me start by saying the staff was terrific the location little off beaten path but close to the highway. Breakfast every morning even tho we where only couple there during the week. You where part of there family right from the start. Great food close by and many miles of nice quite roads. If you think you want to visit the inn go for gods sake go. I can't sit still and I didn't want to leave. If it was closer it would be a yearly retreat. Bang for your buck 10 out of 10. I have been to many b&b's across the country and this is one of the best thank you Chelsea Sun Inn for giving me the experience to blubber this way.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank Michtripper1
Claudia H, Owner at Chelsea Sun Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2012

Thank you very much for your kind words! We continue to strive to meet and hopefully, exceed, our guests' expectations. All feedback is welcomed, and we are happy that your stay was restful and that you enjoyed your time at the Chelsea Sun Inn. Best regards to you both!

There are newer reviews for Chelsea Sun Inn

Reviewed October 2, 2012

I have read some of the reviews and want to say I had the exact opposite experience of the negative ones! My husband and I booked the place for the full weekend of our wedding. We stayed at the Inn with our wedding party and we had a wonderful time!

Once we got there the service was excellent and Rachel and Amanda were there to ensure that everything went perfectly for us.

The place is absolutely beautiful and the hot tub and pool was an amazing place to spend our nights. We had the rehearsal dinner around the pool and they were very helpful getting us what we needed.

We also used the grounds for the ceremony! I wish I could post pictures of how absolutely beautiful the place is! The ceremony was absolutely perfect. And the staff was willing to make whatever arrangements were necessary when the forecast called for inclement weather. ( thankfully it was a beautiful day)

We hope to come back and stay for our anniversary. And it will be worth every penny!

Don't listen to the bad reviews. My wedding day was absolutely perfect and I couldn't have asked for a better experience!

Thank you so much to the staff at Chelsea Sun!!

• Stayed: September 2012
3  Thank Jackie4865
Claudia H, Owner at Chelsea Sun Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2012

Hi Jackie,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review! We are so happy that your wedding went well, and wish you and your family the best of health and happiness always! Thank you for choosing the Chelsea Sun Inn for your wedding. We look forward to seeing you again.
Best regards,
Claudia Howard

Reviewed August 27, 2012

This Inn could be something great if only the owners would take the time for a little TLC. My visit was wonderful because I looked past the mess and unfinished Inn. Life is the color you paint it...
Your pictures of the Inn on your web sight were done at early dawn and are very misleading and conceals alot of unfinished work that has not been completed or maintained. Very sad this place could be a gold mine.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank c b
Claudia H, Owner at Chelsea Sun Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am one of the owners of the Chelsea Sun Inn and have discussed your observations with our management. We continue to improve the landscaping and some of the exterior hardscaping and expect much of this work to be complete by the spring of 2013. It is our goal to meet or exceed our guests' expectations at all times and apologize for your disappointment.

Reviewed August 7, 2012

On the recommendation of a friend, I chose the Chelsea Sun as a weekend-getaway. Like everyone else, I read all the reviews and was decided wary on my trip to the Chelsea Sun. Upon arriving at the rustic, picturesque Inn, I was warmly greeted by the staff and received excellent service. The room (stayed in the Estate) was large, had a TV/DVD player I had no problem with the WiFi. Each room had its own fireplace, making the room even more inviting. The grounds and vineyards are absolutely gorgeous and if respite is what your in search off, the Chelsea Sun has PLENTY of it. Interacting with the animals in the paddock was a highlight for me, so I didn't visit the pool or jacuzzi, but they looked equally as inviting. Overall, my trip was very relaxing and I cannot wait to steal another weekend to get back to the Chelsea Sun.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Mikey P
Reviewed April 16, 2012

Sadly, we would not recommend the Chelsea Sun Inn. We had selected it based on the location and beautiful website photos. Don't be fooled! It was not a welcoming experience in any way. I was not prepared for such a rough site at an inn that has been open three years. There was no sign to identify the place. Two large unlit stone pillars topped by lions frame a short gravel entryway to the paved circular driveway and 3-car parking lot. Surprisingly, there is not one scrap of landscaping to soften the "under construction" look of the place. There is no staff onsite (even though the owners live behind the inn), so we waited outside until the young girl was dropped off by her mother. She let us into the beautiful paneled great room with an impressive stone fireplace soaring two stories. She asked for credit card and driver's license, and promptly copied them for the inn's files which I did not appreciate. We raised objections and the sheet was returned when we left. We had reserved the Winemaker room which is just off the lobby. It was lovely at first glance, but as we spent more time in it the shabby details emerged. The bedcover was badly snagged. The pillows were flat. The large antique shelf unit was peeling paint. When we opened a couple windows to ease the stuffiness of the air, one had no screen. The "spa room" had only one Jacuzzi, not two as advertized. The other was a soaking tub. The spa fireplace was not working, so a platter of well-used candles sat in front of it, along with various boxes and jugs of bath additives. The door to the outside pool area and the holes for a doorknob were taped shut. This circular room was not well designed, so it was difficult to reach the bath fixtures and difficult to get into the tubs themselves. Worse yet, there was not enough hot water to fill both tubs beyond lukewarm. The bathroom was beautiful, but the toilet was not securely bolted to the floor. We mentioned these things to the manager who arrived while we were eating breakfast the next morning. She said that she always found the water hot, but promised to look into the matter. Nothing was ever done in the three days we were there. Breakfast...what a bleak experience. Granted we were the only guests, but a small hot chafing dish held a mountain of scrambled eggs and three of the toughest sausages I have ever attempted to eat. A platter held four skewers of fruit chunks, and there was a small basket with two bagels and two small muffins wrapped tightly in plastic. Coffee had to be made in a Keurig machine. We searched and found OJ, milk and creamer in a small dorm fridge. It was more convenience store than bed & breakfast! We discovered later that breakfast is provided by a local catering business (not to be recommended!). The worst experience came Saturday night. Two couples had apparently booked rooms at the last minute. When we came back from dinner, we could hear them walking around overhead. Unbelievably, we could also hear the man urinating into the toilet! The floors/ceilings are in desperate need of soundproofing. At 11PM we turned in. We were roused from sleep a little after midnight by the two other couples coming in. They proceeded to settle into the great room with wine and loud conversation. My husband got dressed and went out to ask them to try to be quieter so we could sleep. He found they had turned on the fireplace and someone was smoking, which is not allowed by the inn. They promised to hold it down, which they did for all of 15 minutes. We called the "emergency" number in the room's welcome package, got the inn's voicemail, and left a message. This is the inn's regular number, not a special number that will connect with a real person or the owners. My husband again went out and asked them to hold it down and was met with belligerent comments. We called the "emergency" number again, left another message, then packed our things so we could leave first thing in the morning. Finally things quieted down around 2AM, and we finally got to sleep. We came out at 7:30AM but no one was at the desk. We called and the young girl said she would be right over. A half hour later someone dropped her off. She found none of our voicemails. She was very upset at what had happened. We asked to speak to the owner. Ted came right over and was very apologetic. He immediately told the girl to credit one night from our bill, give us a free night for a return visit, and he gave us a bottle of their wine. We were pleased at his response. He explained that he has no control over guests, which we agreed was true. What upset us most was not being able to contact anyone on the inn's "emergency" number. We didn't need fresh towels; we had guests threatening my husband! He took us on a tour of the entire place, including his own home, and was very interesting to talk two. Seems the family also runs the Chelsea Star Hotel in NYC. We finished the tour and left. I doubt if we will ever be back. We loved the rural charm of the area, but something is badly wrong with the way this inn is run.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank PamRonT
Reviewed February 20, 2012

I'm really not sure what the terrible reviews on Tripadvisor are talking about, unless those reviewers went in the earlier days of the inn, or were looking for a more traditional B&B. I've stayed at top hotels - both large chains and boutiques - all over the world, and this inn was one of the better experiences I have had. Yes - the breakfast was minimal and sound proofing on the rooms could be improved - but apart from that, everything was perfect. The outside of the inn was well maintained, the decor inside the inn was elegant and tasteful, the staff were friendly and the rooms were absolutely great. Each room has a great fireplace, the beds are huge and very comfortable and they have really put some high quality finishings throughout the inn. Everything seemed new and well maintained. My girlfriend and I came for a romantic weekend in the Pocono's over President's Day and were not disappointed in any way. I am thinking of coming back in the summer to enjoy the hiking and vineyard and even bringing my parents back.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank raverusa
Reviewed December 13, 2011

I normally stay at Marriott and Ritz Carlton Hotels. This place is in the country but not too far out of the way! The Inn was absolutely incredible, I loved the hardwood floors throughout and the architecture was amazing! The entire place including my ennormous room was spotless. I can't say enough about how great the staff was to me and to the other members of my party. We had three rooms and everyone was very pleased and impressed!
It was a business trip but plan on going back with my wife for a weekend getaway.
The heated hardwood floors were amazing!

Room Tip: I saw all of the rooms and they are all great.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Tom M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mount Bethel
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
#2 of 2 in Pocono Manor
Wolf Hollow at The Water Gap Country Club
Wolf Hollow at The Water Gap Cou...
#1 of 3 in Delaware Water Gap
Stroudsmoor Country Inn
Stroudsmoor Country Inn
#5 of 8 in Stroudsburg
Budget Inn & Suites
Budget Inn & Suites
#2 of 8 in East Stroudsburg
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsburg - Poconos
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsbu...
#4 of 8 in East Stroudsburg
Fairfield Inn & Suites Stroudsburg Bartonsville/Poconos

Been to Chelsea Sun Inn? Share your experiences!