“Better than I would have believed”
Review of Pennsbury Manor

Pennsbury Manor
Bordentown, New Jersey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Better than I would have believed”
Reviewed February 20, 2012

After years of hearing about Pennsbury Manor 9having been raised in Pennsylvania), I decided to cross the river (I now live in NJ) for a visit. The roads leading to this historic home do not give any sense of traversing time: You pass mountainous land fills and lakeside vacation shacks. But the trip was worth it all, especially when contrasted against 18th century homes near Philly (Bartram's, Trent's, Lemon Hill, Strawberry mansion, Sweetbriar Mansion...). The contrast shows how much life improved for the wealthy in America between 1680 and 1740 or so. The rstoration of Pennsbury was clearly a majr undertaking. Art historians have made sure contractors employed original features everywhere they could. Floor boards 3-4 feet wide are evident as are other hard-to-get materials. They also have a cider mill and other key features of households of the time. I recommend this historic home for a visit for adults and children alike.

Visited June 2011

New Egypt, New Jersey
65 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 120 helpful votes
“A Great Day Out”
Reviewed December 30, 2011

This is a reenactment of the life and times of William Penn. Go to the website for a unique listing of events.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 86 helpful votes
“NIce Place, Really Unpleasant Staff”
Reviewed November 29, 2011

This is worth a visit. It is beautiful, especially in the fall, and you learn some history. The downside (and what really spoils the visit for me) is the unpleasant, dismissive staff. I'm not sure where these bad attitudes come from. (I've been here several times with family over about 4 years, and I always run into the same negative stuff).
After all, this is not Buckingham palace, and I know the PA park budget constraints are tight, so I'd think they'd welcome (or at least be civil to) admission-paying visitors. This is not one person - it runs through the entire staff from the person who answers the phone - unpleasant, bad attitudes and unhelpful to the staff on the grounds. Yes, I know they are probably volunteers (and they work next to a landfill) but their attitude ruins the trip. Too bad.

Visited October 2011