“Poorly trained staff”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Morgantown
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Poorly trained staff”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We blocked rooms through this hotel for our out of town guests for our nearby wedding. After assuring us that 1.) they would extend the bar hours for our guests and 2.) they would take care of our room blocks. Somehow they managed to jack up the room blocking. I'll spare the details, but 3 weeks before the wedding (not like we're busy or anything right?) essentially my fiance and I ended up having to call every one of our 130 out of town couples to get them into the block even though the hotel claimed they could handle it. They also told us they wouldn't open the bar. However, when we got back from the wedding they had 1/2 opened the bar. However, instead of charging each guest individually for their drinks (you know, like how every other bar in America does it) they decided to charge the entire tab, for every hotel guest, not just our guests, to our room, even though we never set foot in the bar and never gave them instructions to. The rooms were adequate, although ironically the "executive suite" I was "upgraded" to was the exact same as my friends standard room. Overall decent rooms but woefully incompetant management. Find another establishment along the turnpike, that is unless you're into buying drinks for everyone in the house.

Room Tip: Try to get an outdoor facing room vs lobby facing room
Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
JGB_MGNPA, General Manager at Holiday Inn Morgantown / PA Turnpike, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Josh H

Congratulations on your wedding! Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns. I will try to reach you offline to discuss as I am a little concerned. I hope you and your wife enjoyed the complimentary King Executive Room sorry it was refered to as a suite.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Winter Park, Florida, United States
Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

My family stayed here two nights for a wedding nearby. The indoor pool is awkwardly located right in the front of the hotel as you walk in, just behind a gate as if it were outside. It almost felt like they decided to add the lobby after the pool was built, because some of the rooms even have windows to the lobby. There are a bar and restaurant behind the pool, and a couple times when we wanted to use each, they weren't open. They did end up keeping both the bar and restaurant open later after the wedding for the post-wedding party and breakfast, which was great. The shower curtain in our room smelled like mildew, and the bride and groom weren't able to get the king size bed they had requested because some of the king size rooms were under repair. The location was convenient for the wedding venue but lame for food delivery on a Sunday, while the bridal party was getting ready for the wedding. We could pick from pizza or Chinese, or walk to McDonald's. Other than the shower curtain, the rooms were nice.

• Stayed September 2013
Poinciana, Florida
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We held our 50th year class reunion of Twin Valley HS at the Holiday Inn. I must say that it was a rather good experience. Our check in was very quick and we were even upgrades to a suite. The room was very large with a nice comfortable king size bed, sofa, chairs, work center, flat screen tv and frig. It was clean and very well kept up. Only complaint we would have on this room was that it was on the 3rd floor inside with the window facing the atrium. Not a bad location, but they should have some kind of curtain to pull across the window when you go to bed at night, as you always have the lights from the atrium shinning in.
The buffet we had was OK. My wife had the fish and she said it tasted "fishy", probably didn't thaw it out and pat it dry before broiling it. She didn't eat It. The veggies were luck warm but OK. The ham and roast beef were good, as well as the potato salad. Over all it was a great night. If we come back up to the area we will definitely consider this hotel. Breakfast buffet was OK also for the price.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

I am very satisfied with our stay. The room was clean and updated, shower was great. Linens were clean and soft with lots of pillows. We Didn't get a chance to try the pool but the area was very clean. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Abaker4146
North Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed August 4, 2013

This is not a place I will not return, the manager Sam is not nice what u are doing in this industry, my business meeting poor service poor room,Sam not get the job done. Complants all the rooms stayed in,service poor.I would never stay here again food poor service untrained.

Room Tip: Try another place
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Todd E
JGB_MGNPA, General Manager at Holiday Inn Morgantown / PA Turnpike, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Todd E

I am very sorry to hear about your recent visit. I have sent a message to you directly. I appreciate your comments and want to learn more about what happened and what I can do to make it right. We appreciate you taking the time and for choosing us here at the Holiday Inn Morgantown

Travelers are raving about these Morgantown hotels

19380
Reviewed August 2, 2013

I was at the Holiday Inn Morgantown in June of 2013. Not happy that I didnt get the room that I reserved 10 days before check in. But when I returned home and complained I was contacted by Staff who made me feel redeemed.

I have been staying here for a few years, but keep waiting for the upgrade. This trip there were huge cardboard boxes in the lobby. Really???

The desk staff appears to be new, so be patient with them. Or try....

Room Tip: Make sure you get what you ask for.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Muttley23
JGB_MGNPA, General Manager at Holiday Inn Morgantown / PA Turnpike, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
Muttley23

Sorry about the room mix up! The boxes are gone and the renovation is just about done. To me I feel all of the rooms are upgrades now. Hope to see you soon and thanks for being understanding we appreciate your comments and patronage.
altoona, pa United States
Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here only because rain was so hard on Turnpike, we could not see to drive. Rooms, Restaurant and Lounge badly need an over haul. Restaurant food and service not good. Would not stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank PaCardFan1
JGB_MGNPA, General Manager at Holiday Inn Morgantown / PA Turnpike, responded to this review, July 6, 2013
Dear PaCardFan1,

I am very sorry to hear especially that you did not like the rooms as we just renovated the rooms. The restaurant and lounge are going to be renovated later this year. This does not excuse the quality of service and for that I apologize. I have spoken with the appropriate managers to follow up and make changes where needed. Hopefully if you do pass by in the future you will give us another look and chance so that we can make this up to you.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Morgantown
The Waynebrook Inn
Comfort Inn Amish Country
#1 of 3 in New Holland
Comfort Inn of Lancaster County North
Comfort Inn & Suites Pottstown

Been to Holiday Inn Morgantown / PA Turnpike? Share your experiences!