“amazing place and staff”

SpringHill Suites Scranton Wilkes-Barre
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Moosic
Blenheim
“amazing place and staff”
Reviewed June 12, 2014

very nice hotel. can walk across the street to shop or restaurants to walk to. didn't get a chance to use the pool but the hot breakfast was free and a bonus.
staff were super friendly and hotel was very clean

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Matthew E, Manager at SpringHill Suites Scranton Wilkes-Barre, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Dear Pavliak1
Thank you for the positive review of our hotel. It is great feedback for our associates commitment to provide friendly service and clean rooms. We look forward to your serving you again in the future.
Matt E- Asst GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Swedesboro, New Jersey
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I could not have asked for better accommodation in budget, neither could have got better location for family fun. Right from the moment you check in to the moment you check out, excellent customer service by staff makes you feel at home. They do not rush and help you with smile. A great place to stay with family and friends. Very Clean, Modern, comfortable.

Room Tip: If you are looking for Modern, chic, and affordable stay in Scranton area, this is the hotel for you...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank ThePaddas
Dear ThePaddas-
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. It is always great to see when our guests have a great experience. Hope you choose us again next time you are in the Sranton/Wilkes-Barre area.
Matt E- Asst GM
surrey
Reviewed May 27, 2014

Interesting place to stay. The suites are boldly designed (vaguely reminiscent of a boutique hotel), but a few rough edges were starting to appear. However, this is a minor quibble and the bed was very comfortable, the bathroom very functional and breakfast excellent by the standards of chain hotel buffets. There are a variety of restaurants near by.
One warning for baseball fans planning to watch the AAA Railriders - on a map, the hotel appears next door to the ballpark, but it can only be accessed by car.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Staten Island, New York
Reviewed May 20, 2014

Booked this hotel because it was in the Marriott Family and was in the area to go snow tubing at Montage Mountain. Arrived late Friday night, front desk receptionist was friendly and helpful. Lobby was buzzing with a people in the lounge area, and out in the fire pit area. Lobby was clean, room was clean. Very comfy modern room, sectioned off for some privacy from kids ;) with large TVw/Cable (and HBO)
Free breakfast was great, eggs, sausage, bagels waffles, many different, cereals, juices coffee, tea, muffins, danish etc... Couldn't ask for more. After a long day at the slopes, Kids had a ball swimming in the heated pool (not too big, but fit the hotel) and us relaxing in the Jacuzzi Staff helpful and accommodating, room cleaned up when we got back from mountain!

Only one complaint - no locks on bathroom sliding door. Otherwise would definitely stay again a recommend.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
SNHN95
Reviewed May 9, 2014

I stayed here with a friend the weekend of the Dirty Girl 5k Run. When we arrived at the hotel at 2:55 pm. (check-in is at 3:00) we encountered a large group of other runners sitting in the lobby waiting for their rooms. We were told by the hotel receptionist a room was not ready and we would need to wait. I asked about how long the wait would be because if it was going to be an hour we would go find something else to do rather than sit in the lobby. The receptionist snipped and said "about 15 minutes" so we waited. She was clearly in a bad mood! As we were sitting in the lobby waiting we could hear the receptionist and a housekeeping employee discussing how there must have been a "party" in the lobby the night before (which I assuming was runners for the race) and how "there will not be ANOTHER ONE tonight!" (spoken by the receptionist) The housekeeping employee was complaining about the guests regarding shortage of towels, etc. We were seated in the middle of the dining area for breakfast, which is behind the whole group of ladies waiting for their room. In other words the receptionist and housekeeping employee were speaking loudly. I feel this is so incredibly unprofessional. If you want to discuss stuff like that at least don't do it in front of guests!

In about 20 minutes we were checked into our room and it was very nice, clean and comfortable. It is located next to great shopping and restaurants so if you stay here everything would be convient.

After going to dinner at a local restaurant we came back and there were no parking spaces so I parked along the side of the hotel. When I went in I decided to ask if it was okay to park there or if they preferred I park somewhere else. When I approached the same receptionist to tell her I started by saying "There are no parking spaces left outside..." and before I could finish my sentence she snipped and said "I know!". I explained that I wasn't complaining and just wanted to know if they would prefer I park somewhere else like an overflow lot or something. With that said she did apologize for her snippy remark.

I do understand people have a bad day and if I must say being a woman I'm sure dealing with women isn't easy; however, when you are the receptionist ANYWHERE you are the face of the organization. Unfortunately to say I was very disappointed with her demeanor and she did not represent this hotel well. I don't know if I'd stay here again after my encounters with her and hearing the complaining that happened between her and the other employee.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Matthew E, Manager at SpringHill Suites Scranton Wilkes-Barre, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
Dear SNHN95,
Thank you for taking the time to post on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay at the Springhill Suites in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. I was sorry to see that the Front Desk clerk did not treat you with the respect with which we should be treating all of our guests. As for having a discussion at the desk around guests is completely inappropriate. I have spoken with the people with whom you are referring and this is not something that will happen again. I hope you will consider using our hotel next year with the Dirty Girl Mud Run happens again.

Thank you again for letting me know about your stay.

Matthew Evans
Assistant General Manager
Reviewed April 21, 2014

Let me start by saying that I hate writing negative reviews but this hotel deserves one. I booked this hotel for 2 nights and was actually quite happy when I got this property via Priceline "Express Deals" (Scranton South).

Check in was easy enough and the clerk was pleasant but not much more than that. After I got to my room I realized the door was not closing properly and not locking every time it did close. I went down to the desk and asked to be moved into another room and was told the hotel was sold out that night. The part-time maintenance man came to my room and tried his best to fix the door but it still wasn't closing/locking properly.
Since it was just me the first night I figured I could use the latch and things would be fine but I asked the clerk to leave a note for the manager that I would need to be moved in the morning since I was picking up my daughters for spring break.

In the morning assistant manager "Matt" came to my room and asked if the hotel engineer could look at the door. I said sure, but I still need to be moved to another room since there is a security issue and I'm not comfortable bringing my teenage daughters into the original room. Matt proceeded to argue with me for several minutes about changing rooms and I finally had to put my foot down with him and got him to understand that under no circumstances would I let my children stay in a room with a door that wasn't functioning properly.

Matt finally got me keys to another room which was adequate.. but the handle on the door to the bathroom was not secured properly and it fell off. I just laughed at that one.

I left this property very disappointed in how management handled the whole situation. They should have realized once I said I was not comfortable considering the security issue it was time to just move me rather than argue the point.

For the good,
The hotel is in a fantastic location with plenty of food and shopping choices just a few steps out the front door. The complementary breakfast is more than adequate and some staff members (Ida) are fantastic.

Bottom line is I wouldn't want to go back to this property considering how the assistant manager treated me.

Room Tip: Make sure the door closes and locks properly
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Speeding_Wheels
Matthew E, Manager at SpringHill Suites Scranton Wilkes-Barre, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
I would like to apologize for the issues you encountered during your stay at our hotel. I can assure you that guest safety and satisfaction is our main priority. In an effort to make you feel most comfortable, I wanted to fix your first room to avoid having to inconvenience you by moving your belongings. I sincerely apologize that these intentions were miscommunicated. I ask that you give our hotel another try to show our best product and service. If you would like to discuss this further, please feel free to contact me at 570-207-1212.

Matthew Evans
Assistant General Manager
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

My family and I travel to Scranton to see family a few times a year. This hotel was a refreshing change of pace compared to most of the other hotels in the area. Bright, crisp, clean! Great decor and thoughtfully put together. Staff was helpful too.

It seemed like someone actually cared about the hotel occupants for a change.

Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Linda2k
SWBGeneralManager, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Scranton Wilkes-Barre, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Dear Linda,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am pleased to hear that you and your family enjoyed our amenities and location. We appreciate your feedback!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Moosic
Hampton Inn Scranton at Montage Mountain
Comfort Suites
Comfort Suites
#4 of 10 in Scranton
Courtyard Scranton Wilkes-Barre
TownePlace Suites Scranton Wilkes-Barre
Hilton Scranton & Conference Center
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Dickson City/Scranton

Been to SpringHill Suites Scranton Wilkes-Barre? Share your experiences!